Nebrasketball Game #5- Texas Tech (Hall of Fame Classic): Tuesday, November 20- 8:30 (ESPN2)

What will the game result be?   

29 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska win by single digits
    • Nebraska win by double digits
    • Texas Tech win by single digits
    • Texas Tech win by double digits

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/21/2018 at 02:47 AM

9 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Yup. It was one of those games that brings every bad memory from the Miles era.

We still struggle to run an offense but I like the guys on this team. I truly feel like we can still compete but we need to self scout.

Texas Tech is one of the better defenses we will see all year but there will be better teams.

Frustrating but lets shake it off and move on.

I still believe this is a tournament team.

Tech defense got in our heads.   This is good it happened early. 

4 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

You can’t be serious.  This performance is a carbon copy of the Tim Miles tenure.

No offense, no rebounding and defenders on the hip of the guy driving to the lane.  Might be the first time this year, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest there is more to come.

It's funny that everyone knew that miles offense runs from behind the arc.  Always has & always will.  I'm a loyal fan & anyways will be.  It's early & I'm not going to panic or call for his job.  Life is tough when a basketball game causes this much hate!

I didn't get to watch much of the game because we had a basketball game of our own. From the sounds of it, we didn't play very well. As a coach, I'm telling my athletes that there is a lot of season left to play and we need to continue to get better every day. I understand that Miles sucks at adjustments and other parts of the game, but I'm not going to write this team off because of one game. They got punched in the mouth by a better team that played more aggressive. I think I will withhold too much criticism until I see some more of the season played out.

39 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I didn't get to watch much of the game because we had a basketball game of our own. From the sounds of it, we didn't play very well. As a coach, I'm telling my athletes that there is a lot of season left to play and we need to continue to get better every day. I understand that Miles sucks at adjustments and other parts of the game, but I'm not going to write this team off because of one game. They got punched in the mouth by a better team that played more aggressive. I think I will withhold too much criticism until I see some more of the season played out.

Will said!

1 hour ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

The concern is the mental toughness and the ability to react when a team takes away what works. 

I felt like we looked better this year to start but the issues still showed up.

No reason to freak out on one game but lets not also ignore that the glaring issues from last night are not new:

Lack of offensive set/movement without the ball

Bad positioning for rebounds/giving up multiple second chances

poor shooting

Too much 1-1 ball

Sloppy turnovers(3 traveling calls against Roby)

Miles Technical foul at a bad time

I am not off the bandwagon on this team but last night showed the areas that killed us last year. We need a better non-conference start than last year so we need to grow up fast or we will be staring at losses to non-conference teams like Clemson, Creighton and Oklahoma State. 

4 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

The concern is the mental toughness and the ability to react when a team takes away what works. 

I felt like we looked better this year to start but the issues still showed up.

No reason to freak out on one game but lets not also ignore that the glaring issues from last night are not new:

Lack of offensive set/movement without the ball

Bad positioning for rebounds/giving up multiple second chances

poor shooting

Too much 1-1 ball

Sloppy turnovers(3 traveling calls against Roby)

Miles Technical foul at a bad time

I am not off the bandwagon on this team but last night showed the areas that killed us last year. We need a better non-conference start than last year so we need to grow up fast or we will be staring at losses to non-conference teams like Clemson, Creighton and Oklahoma State. 

I agree with everything that you said. I am just stating that it's crazy how a lot of people in here are ready to write this team off. I'm hoping that Miles actually makes adjustments and the team gets it figured out. I'm not ready to say that this team is a bust. If they end up missing out on the NCAA Tournament and falling short of expectations, then so be it. That remains to be seen though.

15 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

This isn't a killer loss.  Tons of opportunities ahead of this squad.

With that no matter what this team does Miles ain't the answer.  He has put two talent rich rosters together in 7 years and they succeed despite him.  No real offense other than hero ball, 2/7 years with no real shot after this season is enough to ship him off.

And I could still see this squad winning a game or two in the tourney.  I'd still dump Miles.

100% agree with this. My brother and a couple buddies have a group chat where we discuss all things Huskers. I posed a question to them that I see as very relevant, Is the lack of development for Roby more on Roby or this staff?

i ask this question because he is arguably the best NBA talent on this roster, but if things go this year the way they have early he seems to be the 4th option on offense? From past experience we know he (and any player for that matter) is much more effective when he is confident. So instead of him having to generate his own points off rebounds or 1on1 ball, why not run a set or 2 early in the game to get him going? Palmer and Watson have no problems shooting whether they are confident confident or not and Copeland is a better shooter and will get more looks on pen and kick situations. 

i truly hope this team gets it turned around because they have the talent to do some things this year. It's just hard for me to think it will with Miles here. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/669532/2018/11/23/behind-the-scenes-as-nebraska-tries-to-grab-a-statement-win/

Since a team meeting the night before when Nebraska learned who its opponent would be and extending into the morning film session, the coaches have stressed to the players how tough Texas Tech is. “This is a culture game,” says assistant coach Jim Molinari, who is in charge of the scouting report. “No cracks by anyone in our culture. They have no cracks.”

Texas Tech ranked third in adjusted defensive efficiency last season and ranks fourth this year. Nebraska’s coaches stress that points won’t be easy to come by. “Drink from the cup of easy baskets,” Miles tells his team, quizzing them on four ways they can get easy baskets. (The answer: free throws, putbacks, transition layups and wide open shots.)

Last season Nebraska played only two NCAA Tournament teams in the nonconference and lost both. This year Miles made sure his team had plenty of opportunities to prove its worth outside of the Big Ten. In the nonconference, the Huskers will play four major-conference teams that made the tournament last season and a fifth major-conference opponent in Oklahoma State, a bubble team a year ago.

Texas Tech reached the Elite Eight last season before losing to eventual nation champion Villanova, so Tuesday was a chance for the Huskers to make some noise and likely crack the Top 25 with a victory.

“Statement game!” Miles wrote at the bottom of the whiteboard in the locker room, underlining the two words for emphasis.

• Plus1 1