Nebrasketball Game #14 - @ Maryland: Wednesday, January 2 - 5:30 (BTN)

Mavric

What will the game result be?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What will the game result be?

• Nebraska single digit win
    • Nebraska double digit win
    • Maryland single digit win
    • Maryland double digit win

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/2019 at 02:16 AM

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you’re agreeing with me in this post but not the previous one. 

I was disagreeing with your comment about players should be automatic in making their free throws. That was your lazy post.

I also commented that I think we should see if the FT misses cause more than one loss before overreacting, because NU also won a close road game with strong FT shooting. 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

I love Nebraska and I want to trust that this team will be different, but with the history of this team it is hard to believe it will be different from the rest. Some of that has to do with the coaching. As for the game yesterday, we had the game, but decided to get to cute and started turning the ball over way to much. Also, why we didn't double team Fernando baffles me. They also did rebound well at all, and that rebound by Smith late in the game ended up being a killer. Yes, Nebraska has some good free throw shooters, but you can not deny that Roby, Borchart, and Heinman have their struggles at the line. This team has the potential to be a sweet 16 team, but coaching and rebounding could hurt how far we go this season.

A lot of good in that paragraph.  I agree that TM doesn't draw things up the best - however he is the same coach that got these kids to come here (so we have to give him some credit - not directing this towards you).

I think we did ok against Fernando - the constant double team would have allowed them to shoot more 3's and some of their guys were pretty hot.  TM likes the idea of having 5 guys that are all about the same size and that is going to make rebounding tough when the other team has big aggressive rebounding.  In return our group of 5 plays good team defense - minus the mentioned rebounding.

Agree with the bigs and FT - if we had more depth we could probably allow the above mentioned guys to sit on the bench late in a close game if FT's are going to be a deciding factor.

TM has been around long enough to adjust his style - he is what he is and we have him until Moos pulls the plug - personally i believe Moos is not a big TM fan and already has a short list of options.  The question is how much rope does he have?

• Fire 1
17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks for making my point.  We shot 65% I believe.  (15 of 23).  The difference between 65% and 75% is 2.25 made FTs.  That's enough to tie the game.  Make 76% and we win.

Just from FREE throws.

Not sure why my post is "lazy".  But....what ev.....

I think that is the opposite of your point.  In the NBA (best players in the world) they are 75-80%...so you would expect college players (Most of whom are not going to be in the NBA and are not the best players in the world) to make less...which they did.

Should...6th graders shoot the same as NBA players?

They are call Free Throws because there is no one guarding you...not because they are actually "free" buckets.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

A lot of good in that paragraph.  I agree that TM doesn't draw things up the best - however he is the same coach that got these kids to come here (so we have to give him some credit - not directing this towards you).

I think we did ok against Fernando - the constant double team would have allowed them to shoot more 3's and some of their guys were pretty hot.  TM likes the idea of having 5 guys that are all about the same size and that is going to make rebounding tough when the other team has big aggressive rebounding.  In return our group of 5 plays good team defense - minus the mentioned rebounding.

Agree with the bigs and FT - if we had more depth we could probably allow the above mentioned guys to sit on the bench late in a close game if FT's are going to be a deciding factor.

TM has been around long enough to adjust his style - he is what he is and we have him until Moos pulls the plug - personally i believe Moos is not a big TM fan and already has a short list of options.  The question is how much rope does he have?

I think Moss also has a list and I think there is no rope at all.  Just a hunch on that though.

18 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, NU shot 65% in one game.  It's going to happen over a long season.  NU has had 2 close games this season which came down to the final possession.  One game was won (Clemson) with the help of strong FT percentage, and one game was lost by a poor FT percentage.

Either way this is a game that needed to be one. Nebraska has to do better.

6 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Either way this is a game that needed to be one. Nebraska has to do better.

Whether it "needed to be won" or not is a different topic, but I understand when it was there to be won, and the team didn't get it done.  There are going to be a lot of toss-up games in the Big Ten this year.  Hopefully NU will win more than they lose, but they aren't going to win every one of those games.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I think that is the opposite of your point.  In the NBA (best players in the world) they are 75-80%...so you would expect college players (Most of whom are not going to be in the NBA and are not the best players in the world) to make less...which they did.

Should...6th graders shoot the same as NBA players?

They are call Free Throws because there is no one guarding you...not because they are actually "free" buckets.  

65% is unacceptable as a team at a major college program.  I know HS kids who shoot in the 80% range.  Your 6th grade example is rather lazy.  j/k

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

65% is unacceptable as a team at a major college program.  I know HS kids who shoot in the 80% range.  Your 6th grade example is rather lazy.  j/k

I mean .... 65% is obviously not good.  But let's have a little perspective here.  There are currently 62 teams that are shooting 65% or worse for the SEASON.  Which obviously means they've had games worse than that.  Among those teams are Michigan, Florida, Baylor, Indiana, Creighton, UCLA and Kansas State.

"Unacceptable" is a word people like to throw around a lot to make their argument sound strong but it's almost never actually the case.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, 65% is not great, but it was one game.  Roby and Palmer shot 21 of the 23 FT's in the game, and they both shot below their season average.

If you know anything about statistics, there are going to be outliers and deviations from the mean.  It's too early to tell if this 65% FT shooting performance is going to be the trend going forward, or if the team will go back to shooting their average for the remainder of the season.

• Fire 1

Ok....no place did I say this is what Nebraska does all the time with free throws. No place did I say it’s a chronic problem. 

What I did say is that it’s frustrating when it happens. 

And, just because there are teams that are even much worse, doesn’t make it ok for our team to have a night like that. 

Its no different than if the football team went out and lost a close game and 2AM had a 35% completion record missing wide open receivers for TDs that would have won the game. 

Does that happen sometimes to a team?  Yes. Is it acceptable to say that’s damn frustrating to happen at this level?  Yes. Is it right to say that was a contributing factor to us losing the game? Yes. 

Bad free throw shooting is no different. You should be expected to shoot a certain percentage from the line at this level. When it doesn’t happen, it’s frustrating. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok....no place did I say this is what Nebraska does all the time with free throws. No place did I say it’s a chronic problem. 

What I did say is that it’s frustrating when it happens. 

And, just because there are teams that are even much worse, doesn’t make it ok for our team to have a night like that. 

Its no different than if the football team went out and lost a close game and 2AM had a 35% completion record missing wide open receivers for TDs that would have won the game. 

Does that happen sometimes to a team?  Yes. Is it acceptable to say that’s damn frustrating to happen at this level?  Yes. Is it right to say that was a contributing factor to us losing the game? Yes. 

Bad free throw shooting is no different. You should be expected to shoot a certain percentage from the line at this level. When it doesn’t happen, it’s frustrating. 

I agree with all of this.

But that's quite a bit different story and tone from where you have been previously.  Being frustrated in not shooting well and seeing that as a major reason for a loss is pretty reasonable.  But that's not nearly the same thing as saying free throws should be "almost automatic" and that shooting that poorly is "unacceptable."

Had you started with the above thoughts, you probably would have had almost everyone agreeing with you instead of arguing with you.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But that's quite a bit different story and tone from where you have been previously.  Being frustrated in not shooting well and seeing that as a major reason for a loss is pretty reasonable.  But that's not nearly the same thing as saying free throws should be "almost automatic" and that shooting that poorly is "unacceptable."

Had you started with the above thoughts, you probably would have had almost everyone agreeing with you instead of arguing with you.

This

• Fire 1
46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Actually, it's not....but, it's being taken differently.

In my original post I said it's "unacceptable."  That's not different than saying "You should be expected to shoot a certain percentage from the line at this level."

I'm guessing that most coaches at this level would have no problem using either terminology when discussing what level of free throw percentage they expect from their team.