The Cult of Trump & other false loyalties

And we have delusional cult members  who want to rename highways after Trump.   Even after Jan 6 and a 2nd impeachment, and his covid response, we have this nonsense.

Trump should have a cell at a prison named after him.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/florida-lawmaker-wants-to-rename-roadway-president-donald-j-trump-highway/

A Florida lawmaker says he will be supporting an amendment to rename a major Florida highway after former President Donald Trump — replacing a designation that now honors a longtime Democratic lawmaker.

State Rep. Anthony Sabatini said he plans to sponsor a bill in the upcoming legislative session that would rename U.S. Highway 27 to “President Donald J. Trump Highway,” KTLA sister station WFLA in Tampa reported.

“Looking forward to working on this important designation honoring one of the greatest Presidents in American History,” Sabatini, a Republican, tweeted Tuesday.

U.S. Highway 27 runs from Fort Wayne, Indiana, to Miami. Sabatini’s proposal would affect the more than 400-mile portion that runs through the state of Florida.

In the Sunshine State, the roadway is already named Claude Pepper Memorial Highway in honor of a longtime liberal Democratic lawmaker who served in the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate for more than five decades in total.

Pepper died in 1989, and the Florida Legislature named the highway to honor him 10 years later, according to WUSF, a public radio station in the Tampa area.

Sabatini’s renaming bid comes after a year in which he drew attention for opposing local mask mandates intended to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus, WUSF reported, describing him as a “conservative firebrand” on Twitter.

• Plus1 1

Sabatini’s renaming bid comes after a year in which he drew attention for opposing local mask mandates intended to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus, WUSF reported, describing him as a “conservative firebrand” on Twitter.

Another quality individual in the R ranks. :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Another quality individual in the R ranks. :rolleyes:

My thoughts EXACTLY  when I read that -   seems like the lowest common denominator rises to the top in the GOP now a days.  They have the blow horn while more reasonable voices get shouted down.  Proof that the GOP has become the party of Trump.

• 2 weeks later...

If you aren't in the cult and especially if you speak out against the cult leader, the cult will reject you - even if you are family.  It appears cultish politics is thicker than blood.

This fits into my original post that started this thread.  Point # 5 from the original post(my comments are in red)

5. The group relies on shame cycles
If you need your group in order to feel worthy, loved, or sufficient, you’re probably in a cult.

Cult leaders trap members in shame cycles by imposing abnormally strict codes of conduct (usually prescriptions about diet, appearance, sex, relationships, media), guilting members for their shortcomings, and then positioning themselves as the unique remedy to the feelings of guilt which they themselves created.

Cult members are made to believe they are insufficient or unworthy on their own and that the only way to become worthy is to confess their shortcomings to the group or leader. The leader then becomes the mediator of worthiness and the foundation of the member’s self esteem.

Leaders who can make followers feel bad about anything can use shame to manipulate followers into doing anything, even if it’s against their own self-interest or better judgment.

Some of us come from conservative families and we have conservative friends - and we too are conservative.  However, I know @BigRedBuster has commented on this before, it is difficult to talk to family and friends, even as a conservative about Trump.  Never Trumpers who may agree with some of Trump's policies are shamed because they don't believe in the Cult leader himself.  If we dare point out his unfitness for the office (too many things to mentioned on that now), his unprofessionalism, his lack of seriousness, and his ethical deficiencies (and criminality), we are immediately shamed and labeled as infidels. 

• Plus1 2

Steve Bannon believed Trump had early stage dementia, TV producer claims

In his book, Rosen writes that Bannon “believed Trump was suffering from early stage dementia and that there was a real possibility he would be removed from office by the 25th amendment, where the cabinet could vote that the president was no longer mentally capable of carrying out his duties.”

He also writes that one Bannon text said: “You need to do the 25th amendment piece. By the way brother I never steer you wrong.”

This is a bizarre story, and not just because of the claims, but because it's hard to take the claims seriously. One, I don't really trust much that Bannon says, allegedly or otherwise. Two, it's coming from a former TV producer promoting a book. Three, said producer claims Bannon wanted the presidency for himself, so maybe he was inclined to make things up for self gain. Four, at the end of the article, the producer makes it seem like it all might be a lie anyways because Bannon just 'wants to draw attention to himself.'