Democratic Debates

14 hours ago, sho said:

Gabbard showed she belongs

I didn't see the debate unfortunately but watched a few clips afterwards.   I understand Gabbard won the after debate poll on Drudge by a large margin wt 38% wt Warren a distant 2nd. 

I do think she destroyed Ryan in that Taliban exchange.     If this were a tournament, I'd see her and Warren  could move to the next round based on the limited clips I've seen thus far. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7186581/Internet-poll-shows-Tulsi-Gabbard-hands-winner-Democratic-debate.html

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I didn't see the debate unfortunately but watched a few clips afterwards.   I understand Gabbard won the after debate poll on Drudge by a large margin wt 38% wt Warren a distant 2nd. 

I do think she destroyed Ryan in that Taliban exchange.     If this were a tournament, I'd see her and Warren  could move to the next round based on the limited clips I've seen thus far. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7186581/Internet-poll-shows-Tulsi-Gabbard-hands-winner-Democratic-debate.html

That's wild. I thought Gabbard showed herself to be second-tier; a decent showing but decidedly non-Presidential and not particularly inspiring. One zinger does not a President make.

Crazy that so many people thought Gabbard lapped the competition.

Then again....since the poll was conducted by Drudge, I wouldn't be surprised if the results were crafted to mess with Democrats' minds.

If the numbers were made up entirely of people who follow Drudge and self-selected the poll, my guess is that few have any intention to vote for a Democrat. 

Wait a minute. I have Google right here. Let's find out......

.....well whatta you know? Turns out the pro-Tulsi numbers were the result of pro-Trump trolls on Reddit looking to mess with Democrats' minds!

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/trolls-target-online-polls-following-first-democratic-presidential-debate-n1023406

• Plus1 3
10 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I saw bits and pieces of the debate. I thought Warren was strong and dominated the debate. Booker did well, better than I expected him to do. The rest had little to offer and can bow out of the race.

Those are the only two that stood out to me. I'm still not impressed with Warren but Booker caught my attention. However I'm a little concerned he may be a little too focused on only one issue. He seemed very passionate about guns and gun violence but I didn't see him cover much anything else....maybe because I was channel surfing during most of it.

Tulsi is oddly well-liked among the alt-right crowd. I don't know if it's because she considered working for Trump or what. I thought she did OK but she was a firm no for me going in anyway.

Warren did well as expected. I'll be interested in seeing if her stance on abolishing the private insurance industry will be as much of a liability down the road as pundits assure us all it will be.

Castro showed very well and had the most cogent, compelling immigration argument. Seeing him and Beto getting into it was interesting.

Booker did OK as well, I thought. His answer on not re-entering the Iran Deal showed some chutzpah but was mature and intelligent.

Inslee didn't get as much in about climate change as I thought. His answer about Trump being the biggest geopolitical threat to the country was smart. He'd make a great EPA administrator in a Dem administration.

I actually thought Delaney did well voicing a moderate, consensus-seeking position and taking a different tact than most on the stage, not that he's going anywhere.

De Blasio seemed shouty to me. I really appeciated his and Ryan's call to become the party of workers again, though. Of the two I think I prefer Ryan. BDB's record of governing NYC is very spotty.

Klobuchar didn't stand out as much to me but I thought her answers were measured and demonstrated thoughtfulness. She did a good job calling Trump out when appropriate.

The biggest takeaway was that 10 person debates don't work. You barely scratch the surface of what participants believe and want to do.

3 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Right on que with what Ive been saying in this thread. Pelosi conceding to Mitch McConnell like the dems always do. No fight. Weak. God help those children. 

At least there is hope for the future with some dems who want to actually fight the republicans. 

Prediction AOC leaves politics for a sweet 30 million dollar a year job on some TV station discussing current events.  And honestly...it would be the right choice at her age...strike now and enjoy it.

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

For some reason the post I thought I made didn't show ...

I can't believe there is supposedly that much positive on Gabbard.  I am more unimpressed each time I see her.  But she does well with those who are more conservative, former GOP etc.  She is no Dem.  She always seems like she's in the clouds and out of touch.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

For some reason the post I thought I made didn't show ...

I can't believe there is supposedly that much positive on Gabbard.  I am more unimpressed each time I see her.  But she does well with those who are more conservative, former GOP etc.  She is no Dem.  She always seems like she's in the clouds and out of touch.

Didn't you see my post?  There isn't a positive surge for Gabbard. It was a concerted effort by conservative trolls on Reddit to skew the results to the least-threatening, lowest polling Dems. They also gave a big false bump to Bill DeBlasio.

Gabbard actually sides with Bernie Sanders far more than she does with any conservative. The trolls don't like her any better. They're just using her for the joke.  

20 friggin Dems and so far it doesn't look like any one of them has a chance of unseating the orange one. How can these be our best and brightest? I am beside myself distraught that this is the best this country can offer for candidates. I mean all it would take is being a tick better than Hillary or a smidge better than anyone in the race thus far.  And this is in no way trying to claim that Trump is any kind of legitimate obstacle. Literally anyone SHOULD be able to beat him but here we are :bang

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

20 friggin Dems and so far it doesn't look like any one of them has a chance of unseating the orange one. How can these be our best and brightest? I am beside myself distraught that this is the best this country can offer for candidates. I mean all it would take is being a tick better than Hillary or a smidge better than anyone in the race thus far.  And this is in no way trying to claim that Trump is any kind of legitimate obstacle. Literally anyone SHOULD be able to beat him but here we are :bang

When they asked if they would cover illegals, everyone just looked at one another before they raised their hands. Not a Bernie fan, but can applaud the guy for having his own platform. Everyone else just jumps on the next hottest take. Biden was all over the place in his response to the question. Not impressed. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The only chance for them is if HC comes out and runs...that is it.  Even then it is slim.

This is comical at best right now but it really goes to show how lame the D party is right now.  They don't know what they really want.  

I honestly did not think Trump would run for a second term...now I think he might win by RR type numbers.

10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

When they asked if they would cover illegals, everyone just looked at one another before they raised their hands. Not a Bernie fan, but can applaud the guy for having his own platform. Everyone else just jumps on the next hottest take. Biden was all over the place in his response to the question. Not impressed. 

If I run to another country and live there...illegally...I would want full coverage...wouldn't you?

I would not think it would happen though...would you?

I LOVE that they are using "Kids in cages" as their motto...that is a smart move by them.  

And now they just said "real crimes"  Uggggg...why are they so bad at talking?

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

If I run to another country and live there...illegally...I would want full coverage...wouldn't you?

I would not think it would happen though...would you?

I LOVE that they are using "Kids in cages" as their motto...that is a smart move by them.  

I might try to hit Canada up and get back to you... I do need a little dental work. But no, we wouldn’t get covered more than likely. 

It irks me when people compare our medical situation with counties that have 1/10 the population. While their system may work, you can’t compare it. 

Bernie stands out in this group though 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Waldo said:

I might try to hit Canada up and get back to you... I do need a little dental work. But no, we wouldn’t get covered more than likely. 

It irks me when people compare our medical situation with counties that have 1/10 the population. While their system may work, you can’t compare it. 

Bernie stands out in this group though 

AGREED!

Now...watching more Pete is the best on the stand...dude OWNS his s#!t.