Rhonda Revelle suspended pending review

21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Hmmm.

Not sure what to believe.

I've read the letter above, and a couple of news articles. There are no specifics about what the "fat-shaming" or "bullying" was.  Those are pretty vague terms, and can mean different things to different people.

That a player's parents paid for medical treatment out of their own pocket seems pretty bad. Did they submit medical info/bills to the school?

Did the player in the car accident complain that she felt injured, possibly concussed?

Lots of unanswered questions.

And lots of former players saying that the ones complaining are soft. Hard to say which is true at this point.

I thought the 100 texts in one day was definitely bad.  One would think that player would have held on to that evidence.  

Also @Mavric I was thinking the same as well.  So we have a coach who was reinstated and now her entire team seems unified that they do not want her as their coach.  Now what the heck happens?

giphy.gif?cid=790b761154a3a785793011a62c

So in previous posts, I was sticking up for the complainants and the investigatory process, and that the players should be protected from retaliation. I still stand by that. 

However, these public statements now smell an awful lot like a bitter complainant who did not get the results they were looking for and have exhausted all of their legitimate avenues for relief, so now they are burning the house down. I've seen it before.

If this stuff had real meat on the bone, and UNL failed to properly address it, a good attorney could navigate the issue much more discretely. These public statements are not going to help anyone.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Ulty said:

So in previous posts, I was sticking up for the complainants and the investigatory process, and that the players should be protected from retaliation. I still stand by that. 

However, these public statements now smell an awful lot like a bitter complainant who did not get the results they were looking for and have exhausted all of their legitimate avenues for relief, so now they are burning the house down. I've seen it before.

If this stuff had real meat on the bone, and UNL failed to properly address it, a good attorney could navigate the issue much more discretely. These public statements are not going to help anyone.

I agree with this.  I feel like it's some girls that are bitter that Revelle told them how it really is.

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

They would have been better off disclosing the actual abusive texts than these vague statements. This just smears the program and the University without accomplishing anything. People who want to run with a story will, (like ambulance-chaser Dennis Dodd), and people who are predisposed not to believe this stuff won't.

What do these players want? Revelle fired? OK - so who's going to come in and coach this roster if that happens? And what are they going to do with players who just got the last coach fired?

Look what happened when Miles was let go. Nearly 100% turnover.

All these players are gone. They're either going to transfer because Revelle was retained, or they're going to be pushed out by whatever new coach comes in.

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

So we have a coach who was reinstated and now her entire team seems unified that they do not want her as their coach.  Now what the heck happens?

So the investigation did not have enough evidence to lead to her termination, but there was enough to show that some sorts of changes need to be made (Moos didn't specify, but alluded to changes in approach, or something like that). But the coach has lost the faith, trust, and control of her team. Maybe there wasn't enough evidence to show abuse, but there is now evidence that she is not in touch with her players, and we all know that those relationships in coaching are important. This is a messy situation with no happy ending for anyone.

• Plus1 1

Oh, and another flaw in their strategy: today is a Friday before a holiday weekend, and before the football opener. If they really wanted this story to get a lot of lasting attention, today might be the worst day ever to release a statement like this. Your publicity is going to get buried!

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, knapplc said:

so who's going to come in and coach this roster if that happens?

That's what people were asking when Miles was about to get fired.  Seems to have worked out OK so far.

And what are they going to do with players who just got the last coach fired?

Um ..... hopefully they won't have as many issues with a new coach? :dunno

Look what happened when Miles was let go. Nearly 100% turnover.

Not even remotely the same situation on a number of fronts.

All these players are gone. They're either going to transfer because Revelle was retained, or they're going to be pushed out by whatever new coach comes in.

Eh, you don't know that.  Especially about the new coach pushing them out.  That's complete unfounded speculation.

• Plus1 1

It may not be a good position for the university to publicly address each complaint individually. There can be restrictions by FERPA and they also gain nothing by exposing exact details of their findings until it is absolutely necessary, otherwise it gives the plaintiff the ability to build their case and attack their argument. The university has a harder time defending itself in the court of public opinion due to privacy laws which protect the student’s rights, so they will make a vague statement, like the one put out.

Whoever is behind this will have to determine whether it’s worth it to risk legal fees to attack their defense and most universities have better lawyers than any ol average person.

• Plus1 1