What did we learn? (The Rocky Mountain Low Edition)

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  The offense puts up 31 points and  469 yards.  

But everything about it sucks.

And he set records for total offense per game last year, but we still went 4-8........31 points should win most games, but not when you give up 34.  In Frost's presser he talked about the importance of "chink" plays in stead of having to grind out 12 play drives.  IMHO, I'll take grinding long drives that get points.  As opposed to a big or bust offense.  It's easy to look at the score/yards and say it was a great performance, but at the end of the day, the results say it wasn't.  The first half Martinez was like 9-9 then went 7-17.  He was 16-26 on the night. He also had 3 fumbles and lost 2.  

In the presser Frost laments about the offensive woes.  Guys gotta run harder, get open, staff needs to do better etc....Nothing wrong with peoples perception that the game was craptastic.

8 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

What about this OT loss has the year ruined? Our schedule is extremely soft.  

I'm  sore because the 1st half was so good and the 2nd half was so deflating, but nothing was  ruined forever today.

Frost said it was one of the worst losses he has been a part of.....

4 minutes ago, FTW said:

Frost admitted that he didn't want to turn the ball over in OT. Didn't want to risk any bad throws so they tried to call their "best run plays" to get them 3 or 4 yards a carry to set up the tying FG.

That is playing not to lose, IMO and it cost him. Again, this loss is solely on Frost. He basically said everything we said. Defense was gassed late in the game, offense scored on first 3 or 4 possessions of the first half, 2nd half went 0-4. Can't do that.

I think he is still learning as a young head coach and will only get better every week, every season. Now is not the time to give up on the team.

He's really not that young.  And the playing not to lose mentality is not why we brought him here.  I'm not disagreeing with anything you said (except the young part) but it's frustrating because this play-to-not-lose mentality does not match his play fast-focused-disciplined rhetoric. I think there were some times last year when I thought he tried to force the team to be something their not- although I don't remember the exact situations- and it cost us some wins.  He needs to be concerned with getting wins anyway possible and not pushing through a personal philosophy. I guess what I'm saying he needs to loosen up and be flexible. 

18 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

And that's what drives one crazy.... knowing this, you run two plays for zero yards and then take a SACK. 

In the presser Frost said that they looked at the "best running plays" in the game and went with those in OT to try to get the TD and avoid the FG.  Said they obviously work on OT, 2 min etc and have talked about throwing away the ball...

Just now, lo country said:

And he set records for total offense per game last year, but we still went 4-8........31 points should win most games, but not when you give up 34.  In Frost's presser he talked about the importance of "chink" plays in stead of having to grind out 12 play drives.  IMHO, I'll take grinding long drives that get points.  As opposed to a big or bust offense.  It's easy to look at the score/yards and say it was a great performance, but at the end of the day, the results say it wasn't.  The first half Martinez was like 9-9 then went 7-17.  He was 16-26 on the night. He also had 3 fumbles and lost 2.  

In the presser Frost laments about the offensive woes.  Guys gotta run harder, get open, staff needs to do better etc....Nothing wrong with peoples perception that the game was craptastic.

Frost said it was one of the worst losses he has been a part of.....

probably because it was completely his fault.  For the life of me I can't figure out what's going on-bad practices on the week of your home opener, the worst 2nd half preparedness of any game I can remember.  It's almost surreal.  There must be more to the story.  Something has to be going on behind the scenes. 

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I mean ... everyone would love to grind out 12 play TD drives.  But you know why almost no one does it consistently?  Because it's very difficult to do.  Too many ways for things to go wrong when you're counting on plodding for 4-5 yards every play.

1 minute ago, lo country said:

In the presser Frost said that they looked at the "best running plays" in the game and went with those in OT to try to get the TD and avoid the FG.  Said they obviously work on OT, 2 min etc and have talked about throwing away the ball...

And in the first half he called aggressive plays to set the tone- He's lost in his own head right now. 

6 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

He's really not that young.  And the playing not to lose mentality is not why we brought him here.  I'm not disagreeing with anything you said (except the young part) but it's frustrating because this play-to-not-lose mentality does not match his play fast-focused-disciplined rhetoric. I think there were some times last year when I thought he tried to force the team to be something their not- although I don't remember the exact situations- and it cost us some wins.  He needs to be concerned with getting wins anyway possible and not pushing through a personal philosophy. I guess what I'm saying he needs to loosen up and be flexible. 

Just listen to him at his presser. He was ultra conservative in OT and even late in the game. He admitted as much. I'm saying he's young/new/raw as a HC. He had 2 seasons at a weak AAC conference before becoming a P5 coach.

3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean ... everyone would love to grind out 12 play TD drives.  But you know why almost no one does it consistently?  Because it's very difficult to do.  Too many ways for things to go wrong when you're counting on plodding for 4-5 yards every play.

I agree.  I just wonder if we have the plays in the book todo that.  Without Oz, I do not think we currently have the RB to do that.  Not that Mills can't get there.  See Oz under Riley to under Frost.  I just wish we had the player/plays that could get 4-5 yards per carry between the tackles to help out the O and force the D into the box.  Under than the QB draw, I do not know what that play is now.

Just now, FTW said:

Just listen to him at his presser. He was ultra conservative in OT and even late in the game. He admitted as much. I'm saying he's young/new/raw as a HC. He had 2 seasons at a weak AAC conference before becoming a P5 coach.

the Colorado do has no seasons- just two wins

Just now, lo country said:

I agree.  I just wonder if we have the plays in the book todo that.  Without Oz, I do not think we currently have the RB to do that.  Not that Mills can't get there.  See Oz under Riley to under Frost.  I just wish we had the player/plays that could get 4-5 yards per carry between the tackles to help out the O and force the D into the box.  Under than the QB draw, I do not know what that play is now.

Oz wasn't that guy

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I don't understand the Mills love.  Maybe he doesn't fumble much-which matches Frost's ultra conservative offensive approach.  Which is also wearing out the defense-BTW