What did we learn? (The Rocky Mountain Low Edition)

I learned my that while I was a little uneasy about my 7-5 season pick after last weeks showing, I am now downright convinced I was being too optimistic in what I thought was a very conservative prognostication. At this point, if we can make it to 6-6 and a bowl game bid I'll be giddy considering the performances of the last two weeks.

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

He average like 7.0/carry.  I think he was more than adequate for Frost's offense.  Maybe I'm missing something.  Can't find yards per gap for 2018.  And that's really only starting like 8 games.  Gotta diagree with ya here.  I wish Oz had one more year.

Yes, but he didn't get to 7.0 ypc by grinding out 4-5 yards each time he got the ball

8 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

the Colorado do has no seasons- just two wins

Well... He did coach under Saban, at Georgia, and others. Those are some bigger schools vs Oregon, whom the PAC 12 can't even beat the SEC and the AAC which is a weak conference in of itself. At this point, you could say Mel Tucker is a better coach than Frost.

Just now, Mavric said:

Yes, but he didn't get to 7.0 ypc by grinding out 4-5 yards each time he got the ball

Correct.  He was a big back that got yards.  He was more than capable to "grind it out" as evidenced by the yards per carry.  I don't think we have that guy on the roster "yet".  Some have the potential, but most of what I see Mo do is outside runs, not really a "grinder".  Same with Wandale.  Mills "fits" the mold, but hasn't developed into that guy yet.  

I learned the following:

(1) Adrian Martinez makes horrible decisions when the game is on the line. He holds on to the ball and gets sacked instead of running and throwing the ball out of bounds. He also consistently missed open guys and throw it to well covered guys. Absolutely no killer instinct what so ever.

(2) coaches half time speech was garbage and non inspiring. In fact, they should never ever repeat whatever was said because it had the opposite effect.

(3) I have never seen such a Jekyll and Hyde team. A tale of two halves. We dominate the first half and sleepwalk the second half.

(4) our offense will not win many games with this performance

(5) our defense has some issues at safety

(6) we will not compete very well against Wisconsin, Ohio state, and Iowa. Heck, I doubt we even beat northern Illinois next week.

(7) if we make a bowl this year, it would be a step in the right direction.

(8) very disappointing game given its importance. Losing two times in a row to a buffs team that will probably finish 6-6 is not a good start to this season.

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

Its a talent issue, and its been a talent issue since Dr. Tom left 22 years ago.  We have hired and fired enough coaches for bad coaching, but its actually been because we lack talent.  Its still a talent issue today.  We don't have a Laviska Shenault or a Steven Montez or there other Wide Receiver who ate us up today.   Keep blaming the coaches each and every season we suck, and it is there fault, but its more for lack of recruiting than lack of x and o.  

Like I said, give this staff and Frost another season of recruiting and lifting, and we will have a solid team.  This season if far from being over, but this is not a Big Ten West division contender yet.  

Shenault got hurt early. I'm sorry but we have more talent than Colorado and that was apparent early in the game

1. Where the hell are the tight ends? Stoll and Allen are more than capable of making some plays or finding holes in the defense 

2. Martinez played better this week but still wasn't overly impressive. He did look better running the ball, but threw a duck TD to Spielman and Mo took a swing pass 75 yards 

3. Frost, even last year, is way too conservative of a play caller. Where have the WR screens gone that he loved last year? We throw over 10 yards like 2x a game. 

4. I don't care what anyone says on here. I still don't think Chin is a good D coordinator. Colorado didn't have a run game, was down so we knew they had to throw the ball. I get the offense sucked in the 2H but if our team scores 31 points you should win the damn game. 24 points in the 4th quarter was atrocious. 

5. Mazour, Johnson, W Farniok, Woodyard, Raridon, and Williams deserve to play. I felt Woodyard looked solid in camp and is a true burner. 

6. We play to not lose the game. Frost really conservative in the 2H and Chinander just sat back a lot more waiting for them instead of attacking like the 1H. I feel we game plan a good opening drive and then we lose our brains. 

I still believe in Frost. It will just take longer than what people want. 

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, FTW said:

Well... He did coach under Saban, at Georgia, and others. Those are some bigger schools vs Oregon, whom the PAC 12 can't even beat the SEC and the AAC which is a weak conference in of itself. At this point, you could say Mel Tucker is a better coach than Frost.

Never heard of Mel Tucker before today- but he way out coached Frost in-game.  Frost seems to be more of an off-season coach rather than an in-game coach. 

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

d1. Where the hell are the tight ends? Stoll and Allen are more than capable of making some plays or finding holes in the defense 

2. Martinez played better this week but still wasn't overly impressive. He did look better running the ball, but threw a duck TD to Spielman and Mo took a swing pass 75 yards 

3. Frost, even last year, is way too conservative of a play caller. Where have the WR screens gone that he loved last year? We throw over 10 yards like 2x a game. 

4. I don't care what anyone says on here. I still don't think Chin is a good D coordinator. Colorado didn't have a run game, was down so we knew they had to throw the ball. I get the offense sucked in the 2H but if our team scores 31 points you should win the damn game. 24 points in the 4th quarter was atrocious. 

5. Mazour, Johnson, W Farniok, Woodyard, Raridon, and Williams deserve to play. I felt Woodyard looked solid in camp and is a true burner. 

6. We play to not lose the game. Frost really conservative in the 2H and Chinander just sat back a lot more waiting for them instead of attacking like the 1H. I feel we game plan a good opening drive and then we lose our brains. 

I still believe in Frost. It will just take longer than what people want. 

I don't think Woodyard made the travel roster- hurt?

So what kind of offense could illuminate the playmakers we have while hiding our weaknesses?  I like our tight ends, Washington, JD, Robinson.  How to match their abilities with play calling? Sometimes I think we do ok on the corners, but then it becomes too predictable and those plays are slow developing.  I don't think we can run more draw plays as that becomes predictable as well.