Frost presser and big play comments

lo country

19 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Hes referring to this year imo.  This tells me two things: our offensive line is not good enough to be able to sustain drives consistently or our wrs just arent good enough to get open consistently.  These were the problems I was afraid of.  I don't Frosts philosophy is always like that though, just this year.

Ehhh to a degree yes, but this system is predicated on creating chunk plays and right now we just aren't getting them. We always want to hit big plays regularly with this offense, even if our ability to succeed on long drives increases

Just now, huskerfan333157 said:

We don't have the talent to tbh

We don't have that much less talent than last year. This argument makes no sense to me when the teams we have played thus far have less talent than alot of teams we created alot of chunk plays on last year. I think the offense will be fine and get better. Its kind of the same as last year honestly. I'm sure we will get it rolling at some point.

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

We don't have that much less talent than last year. This argument makes no sense to me when the teams we have played thus far have less talent than alot of teams we created alot of chunk plays on last year. I think the offense will be fine and get better. Its kind of the same as last year honestly. I'm sure we will get it rolling at some point.

I think people undervalue Morgan and ozigbo.  Spielman isn't the #1 we type of guy.  Ozigbo is nasty and we had a better oline last year as well.  At least farmer and foster would have made this oline decent.

• Plus1 1
Just now, huskerfan333157 said:

I think people undervalue Morgan and ozigbo.  Spielman isn't the #1 we type of guy.  Ozigbo is nasty and we had a better oline last year as well.  At least farmer and foster would have made this oline decent.

Personally I think Noa is that guy not that he is Morgan but he can be solid for us. Running back I have to agree. Mills just can't run it like Zig could. I think Ronald Thompkins ends up getting major carries by the years end if he can't figure it out.

The thing that gets me is Frost saying we are better at every position in the preseason. I have to imagine we look better in practice than we did a year ago at this time so maybe things will transform at some point.

54 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Personally I think Noa is that guy not that he is Morgan but he can be solid for us. Running back I have to agree. Mills just can't run it like Zig could. I think Ronald Thompkins ends up getting major carries by the years end if he can't figure it out.

The thing that gets me is Frost saying we are better at every position in the preseason. I have to imagine we look better in practice than we did a year ago at this time so maybe things will transform at some point.

I wonder if that's coach speak.  Our oline wasnt great last year but it's a lot better than this year

I have to admit watching Army today with their physical offense rushing 3-4 ypc like a metronome caused my heart to ache with nostalgia.  Watching a wide open receiver catch the rare pass caused me to tear up.  With my eyes blurred I thought the uniforms were white and crimson and I felt wrapped in a security blanket freshly pulled from the dryer as the team went on a 9 minute drive and I drifted off to sleep with a smile.

We need to run the damn ball better!

• Plus1 1

I think the problem is that so much of our offense is built on perimeter play, and when a team bites down on that like CU did 2nd half, we can’t adjust. I think that is largely due to problems with the O line, as we haven’t been able to run up the gut through either game so far. I still have faith, but it’s going to take adjustment by the staff and players and patience from all of us. I think Frost is as much of an investment as Martinez. Both have a wealth of potential and can do great things, but they’re young and good things take time. 

• Fire 1

The O line doesn’t get it done- in both games this year.  I hope they could do better with straight ahead man on man blocking but they allow too many defensive lineman through gaps or just get beat.  

I don’t think get good pass routes from many of the receivers.  I also feel that too many of our pass plays go directly to the sidelines wasting time getting upfield.  They should throw most of their passes 5-15 yards deep upfield.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Frost needs a strong running game to be successful at Nebraska. It can still have the same look, but it needs to be there. That’s my biggest worry in year 2. There is no inside run game so far and it doesn’t look to be an easy fix. The weather in Nebraska in late October and on can be very volatile, with wind, rain, snow, and cold all being factors. 

2 hours ago, lo country said:

I think it speaks volumes to the fact the Jurgenson is the center and never played the position.  Frost likes his athleticism and "nasty" streak.  Frost appears to be getting those guys with Fritzsche and Bernhart.  Any chance we see them this year?

Until we get guys who are earth movers, we are in trouble.  I think teams have figured out how to confuse Martinez.  Teams like you mentioned will t-off against this offense without an inside running game.

I hope we do get them. You should see those guys up close compared to the other players. The new guys being brought in are HUGE in height. It will be interesting to see how they bulk up. Reps would be good for them though.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, FTW said:

I do think Riley set us back with all the pass blocking OL he brought in.

Couple major differences between last year's OL and this year's: last year's seniors on the line were originally Bo's recruits, and this year, there's not one single senior anywhere on the OL depth chart.

• Plus1 1

I really don't understand the O-Line comments. We ran for nearly 200, Adrian had all the time in the world, and we were averaging about 12 yards per play until the playcalling sent us into a funk, a rut, and a situation where Adrian's getting sacked not because he didn't have time but because he couldn't figure out where to throw it. 

• Plus1 1