Northern Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah.... because knowing we weren’t going to win an NC this year so a set back was inevitable is outrageous. The coaches are inept because we had a setback. 

Angry and hyperbolic.  Nice.

When you calm down some, focus on intent of what is being said.  Many on this board see the same things on the field and hear the same things in the pressers.  I'm not worried long term.  I'm curious if the staff easily identifies what is happening, and if so, is it so egregiously broken we won't see a more consistent product on the field?  

5 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Angry and hyperbolic.  Nice.

When you calm down some, focus on intent of what is being said.  Many on this board see the same things on the field and hear the same things in the pressers.  I'm not worried long term.  I'm curious if the staff easily identifies what is happening, and if so, is it so egregiously broken we won't see a more consistent product on the field?  

Wait....

im the one who’s angry....but you’re the one who is implying our coaches don’t know what they are doing?

dude. My frustration over the loss lasted about 2-3 hours then I move on. 

At my age getting angry over this is laughable. 

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wait....

im the one who’s angry....but you’re the one who is implying our coaches don’t know what they are doing?

dude. My frustration over the loss lasted about 2-3 hours then I move on. 

At my age getting angry over this is laughable. 

Your contempt comes through your sarcastic hyperbole.  It's dismissible.

I didn't say they didn't know what they are doing.  I am curious how well they know what is going on, and if they know so well when do these adjustments start to show on the field?

Put another way.  This was game 2 in season 2...the double compounding effect of exponential betterment.

And, that happened.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yeah...because this isn’t saying....”the coaches don’t know what they are doing. 

And the product you see screams "they know exactly what the issue is."   Keep your lens if it helps you.  I'm wanting to hear something different to show yes, they know the issues which should manifest in a more consistent on-field product.

17 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Dude, step away from the board.  Do some yoga.  Come back when you're not thinking the world has ended after the first loss of season 2 of the Scott Frost era.  SEASON 2.

The projection is strong in this thread.  It must be Saturday's emotional hangover for a couple here.

Breathe some and be good with peoples' curiosity in to how the staff is understanding and responding to the adversity.  We're not getting much in press conferences.  And we're getting season 1 mistakes and issues.  

I'm in long term.  Not a worry.  My curiosity is when we'll see the turnaround, not if.  

• Plus1 1

Has anyone actually heard a coach go into extensive detail about what is going wrong and how they'll fix it? The comments from this staff are no different than most. I don't think it's really possible to tell when it's coach speak hiding the fact they have no clue versus knowing exactly what they need to fix. I trust this staff will get it turned around, but even if you don't I don't know what you expect. There is zero benefit to them walking us through their plan to fix things, it will either happen or it won't. But criticizing their comments for being too generic is ridiculous, coaches are always generic in interviews. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Has anyone actually heard a coach go into extensive detail about what is going wrong and how they'll fix it? The comments from this staff are no different than most. I don't think it's really possible to tell when it's coach speak hiding the fact they have no clue versus knowing exactly what they need to fix. I trust this staff will get it turned around, but even if you don't I don't know what you expect. There is zero benefit to them walking us through their plan to fix things, it will either happen or it won't. But criticizing their comments for being too generic is ridiculous, coaches are always generic in interviews. 

Exactly. 

4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Mark Dantonio was fairly specific after MSU's first or second game.  I don't recall all of his comments but remember he said WRs were not giving full effort. He was very stern and serious like he often is.  It made me want to give better effort until I realized I wasn't playing for him.

9 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

IMO, even if the coaches new specifically what was wrong I do not think they would say it.  And I wouldn't want them to.  Just do it.  For example, as some have said, USA and CU, appeared to delay blitzes and do some stunts that confused Martinez on reads. Frost even said the D did some things they were not expecting.  I think that's coach speak, but to come out and say Martinez gets confused, would only make DC's work that much harder to disguise/delay.  Or if Frost said certain receivers "took off" running routes, or didn't run hard if ot was a run, this only helps the DC's.  Sometimes honest comments just hurt the team.  The whole praise in public, punish in private mantra.  

7 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Mark Dantonio was fairly specific after MSU's first or second game.  I don't recall all of his comments but remember he said WRs were not giving full effort. He was very stern and serious like he often is.  It made me want to give better effort until I realized I wasn't playing for him.

Games they won - you can be a little more critical in a win, and I think Frost was after USA. But you start calling out individuals or position groups after a loss and it seems like you're just blaming the players. Frost generally has a list of things he doesn't think we did well enough, I just don't get the need for him to be more specific with it than he is. There is a time and a place to publicly call players out like he did with Jackson last year, but it does no one any good to consistently throw players under the bus.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Right now if you can still enroll you could make their walk-on squad. :dunno

44 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Games they won - you can be a little more critical in a win, and I think Frost was after USA. But you start calling out individuals or position groups after a loss and it seems like you're just blaming the players. Frost generally has a list of things he doesn't think we did well enough, I just don't get the need for him to be more specific with it than he is. There is a time and a place to publicly call players out like he did with Jackson last year, but it does no one any good to consistently throw players under the bus.

I agree with this. The same people who are upset about him not being specific would turn around and say he was blaming the players if he pointed out specifics. I think people just need to stop watching press conferences if they don't like what is being said because it isn't changing, ha.