The Bo Pelini Curse

Mavric

50 minutes ago, Undone said:

And how does players being "hyped" factor into this? Explain what your point is.

If your point is that because they got hyped and people took drank the Kool-Aid that we should all be justifiably disappointed, well, that's a different issue. My initial point was that losing Ozigbo and Morgan is a big deal because we didn't exactly reload both of those spots with Wan'Dale and Mills. 

Wan'Dale will most likely be a great player here...but he's nevertheless a true freshman.

I think it’s a little duplicitous to give heisman hype to your quarterback then shrug away a loss to Colorado because their qb is slated to be “drafted”.  Hell. Tanner Lee was drafted 

12 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

Noa is a 5th year senior with almost 1300 yards receiving but they don't utilize him at all. The few targets he gets have been garbage mostly. Mills was the ACC freshman of the year and #1 juco rb. Hype played a part but it's not like these guys had nothing backing it. Wandale is the only pure hype man. 

Ironically he's played the best of the 3 - although for Noa it sounds like some of it may be not getting him the ball.

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Morgan's stats shot up when Westerkamp, Moore, and Brandon Riley left. 

Ozigbo was scheduled to go out quietly as a backup to Bell and Washington.

It's always a "next man up" game and the offense is designed to generate both a 1,000 yard receiver and a 1,000 yard rusher, though it's hardly a problem if multiple players share the load. Having a stud quarterback with a year under his belt, a better offensive line and a team buying into the new coach's system should more than make up for the loss of two good players, especially if you trust the new recruiting staff to find more gems than the last one. 

Or to put it another way, I don't remember anyone thinking the Nebraska offense was due for a drop-off. Pretty much the opposite. 

(I also think this same offense is perfectly able of doing great things --- like they've already showed --- which is why I think it's still an attitude adjustment situation for both players and coaches) 

There was posters on here, ones I consider smarter than me, that predicted the offense might struggle early in the year with inexperience and the D would need to carry them. That is some of what we are seeing.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Having a stud quarterback with a year under his belt, a better offensive line and a team buying into the new coach's system should more than make up for the loss of two good players

I'd say that this year's team has a worse offensive line, both demonstrably and on paper. We've got a freshman center who had never played the position and a sophomore walk-on left guard. That's problematic for a team with a coach that likes to run the ball 55% of the time historically. And then there's pass protection.

I agree with you about pointing out that it's a "next man up" game in college football. Great point. 

However - and I generally don't like making these comments on the internet - but it's very possibly a stretch to say that Mike Williams & Kade Warner have the physical and skill set gifting that Stanley Morgan had when his predecessors graduated. I think we'd be remiss to not point out that possibility.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, CapoValley said:

I think it’s a little duplicitous to give heisman hype to your quarterback then shrug away a loss to Colorado because their qb is slated to be “drafted”.  Hell. Tanner Lee was drafted 

That's certainly a fair statement. Find some posts of mine where I said he's a Heisman candidate for 2019 and then get back to me.

• Haha 2
37 minutes ago, Undone said:

However - and I generally don't like making these comments on the internet - but it's very possibly a stretch to say that Mike Williams & Kade Warner have the physical and skill set gifting that Stanley Morgan had when his predecessors graduated. I think we'd be remiss to not point out that possibility.

Don't hurt yourself with all that stretching!  

There's no curse we've just gotten out of our way and made some horrible decisions. The move to the B1G made sense financially. Geographically? No. Should have never left the Big XII. Recruiting wise, I think that really damaged our footprint in the Midwest. Now, kids can go to so many different conferences. I imagine if Tom Osborne continued coaching, he would have evolved his offense into a more power spread option attack similar to what Urban Meyer ran at UF and sometimes at tOSU.

I wonder if that's what most Husker fans expected from SF but, we were warned by people that that is not his M.O. it's a finesse Oregon/Chip Kelly offense tweaked to his own liking. As for Bo, I think he was pretty good at motivating the players kinda like watching a super car blaze the tracks at amazing speeds until that one turn that results in a crash and burn.

Then again, I'm starting to believe the fans could be the problem, lol.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:18 PM, Undone said:

What do you mean, "look at Bama?" Ok, I'm looking at the most dominant program in the last 20 years who is lead by arguably the best coach of the last 20 years who's been there running the same system since 2007.

Bulls**t. 

'Bama (and other SEC schools) are notorious for oversigning and running off kids on scholarship that they feel are under-performing. 'Bama effectively gets an extra 1.5 classes per five years of recruiting because of this, and other SEC schools average around the same. Imagine what Nebraska could do with an extra 1.5 classes of kids every five years by chasing off kids that aren't sniffing the two deep.

Fortunately (or unfortunately for our more selfish, skeptical fans), Nebraska has ethics and scruples. 

The era of 'Bama's and the SEC's dominance lies in their unwillingness to play within the confines of the NCAA rules. Not in any sort of seismic change in play style or coaching, per se.

If anything, 'Bama's accomplishments are akin to the steroid era in Baseball, asterisked because they're fake as hell and not in the spirit or integrity of the game.  

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Bulls**t. 

Really have no idea what prompted you to single out my post with "Bulls**t."

Here was CapoValley's original comment that I responded to:

"As as an example, look at Bama. There are 19 freshmen and sophomores on the two deep, including three true freshman starters in the defense." 

He points out how young their current team's roster is. What does that have to do with our situation in year 2 as a blue blood that relatively infrequently has had Top 5 recruiting classes? It's basically a non-sequitor.

Google Alabama's last five recruiting classes. When you're getting the kind of talent they bring in, odds are good that the underclassmen are significantly better than what we've got. Doesn't matter how that happens, which was mainly the content of what you posted.