Who's OUR guy? Frost's already done this.

DefenderAO

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I've looked at our second possession of the third quarter and that's to me where we started to lose the game. There really wasn't anything wrong with the play calling; on the first series we got a first down. On the second series, the first play was a five yard run. And then on 2nd & 3rd downs we basically just didn't execute.

Agree with this. Offensive penalties also killed us in the second half.

1st half

- False Start

2nd half

- Offensive holding

- Illegal formation

- Illegal block

- Intentional grounding

Also, all 6 of Colorado's sacks came in the second half. A lot of that is just a lack of focus. Three of those penalties came on a drive that ultimately ended in a punt and the illegal formation was on a punt giving CU better field position.

When Frost talks about the small margin for error this team has, this is what he's referring to.  Clean first half leads to dominating an inferior team, ugly second half leads to blown lead.

• Plus1 2

Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

Agree with this. Offensive penalties also killed us in the second half.

1st half

- False Start

2nd half

- Offensive holding

- Illegal formation

- Illegal block

- Intentional grounding

Also, all 6 of Colorado's sacks came in the second half. A lot of that is just a lack of focus. Three of those penalties came on a drive that ultimately ended in a punt and the illegal formation was on a punt giving CU better field position.

When Frost talks about the small margin for error this team has, this is what he's referring to.  Clean first half leads to dominating an inferior team, ugly second half leads to blown lead.

I just think Colorado played harder because they wanted it more.  They out hustled us.  Except for a few players.  This team of ours has never known what it is like to be in the chase for the title, and they didn't have that hunger to pull them through.  

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

I just think Colorado played harder because they wanted it more.  They out hustled us.  Except for a few players.  This team of ours has never known what it is like to be in the chase for the title, and they didn't have that hunger to pull them through.  

Yup for sure! I think an underrated part of Frost's recruiting that they occasionally mention is they want to recruit winners. Guys who have won at the high school level. Not only do those players know what it takes to win, but they are driven to not lose. I think that attitude will start infiltrating this program more and more.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

If you can use a measuring stick for one you can use it for the other. Or maybe your stick is broken? I think that is the problem.

The stick has broken 4 times over since 1997, that's the problem.  And after 2 piss poor 2nd half performances, I'm worried about it breaking a 5th time.

It was clear halfway through year 2 of Riley that not much had changed and things were going to nose dive.  But the "real fans" demanded, chin up and positive vibes while spinning worries into strengths.  How did that play out?

I'm trying a different approach this time.  I was a Bo homer.  I forced myself to be a positive supporter of Riley.  I wanted Frost, we got him, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical.  It's entirely possible to support him and be honest.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Redux said:

The stick has broken 4 times over since 1997, that's the problem.  And after 2 piss poor 2nd half performances, I'm worried about it breaking a 5th time.

It was clear halfway through year 2 of Riley that not much had changed and things were going to nose dive.  But the "real fans" demanded, chin up and positive vibes while spinning worries into strengths.  How did that play out?

I'm trying a different approach this time.  I was a Bo homer.  I forced myself to be a positive supporter of Riley.  I wanted Frost, we got him, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical.  It's entirely possible to support him and be honest.

Of course you can be critical, but saying he has a 5-9 record and comparing that to everyone else is meaningless to me. Watch the game, use your eyes and you can see he isn't worse than Riley was at this point just because of a worse record in the first 14 games. By the end of the season the win loss record itself will have more context imo. Right now its sort of a gotcha stat

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

27 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Of course you can be critical, but saying he has a 5-9 record and comparing that to everyone else is meaningless to me. Watch the game, use your eyes and you can see he isn't worse than Riley was at this point just because of a worse record in the first 14 games. By the end of the season the win loss record itself will have more context imo. Right now its sort of a gotcha stat

It's not a gotcha stat.  It's a stat, like it or not.  On Sunday he will have a 6-9 record (giggitty).  If I made a bet that he would only have 5 wins in his first 14 games I would be a millionaire because everyone would have bet against that, myself included.  Disappointing is disappointing no matter how good he will end up being.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

But its kind of weird to judge his overall record now. What if we finish the season 10-2? This all looks stupid. 

What if we go 4-8 for six years in a row but then we go 15-0 for twenty years in a row?

At some point, you need to stop pushing the goalposts further back to a theoretical future where things are better and evaluate what has been done so far. And so far, it's been s#!t.

24 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's not a gotcha stat.  It's a stat, like it or not.  On Sunday he will have a 6-9 record (giggitty).  If I made a bet that he would only have 5 wins in his first 14 games I would be a millionaire because everyone would have bet against that, myself included.  Disappointing is disappointing no matter how good he will end up being.

Thats a pretty big bet you'd have to be making, I think the over/under was at 5.5 wins for 2018.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

What if we go 4-8 for six years in a row but then we go 15-0 for twenty years in a row?

At some point, you need to stop pushing the goalposts further back to a theoretical future where things are better and evaluate what has been done so far. And so far, it's been s#!t.

Covered that with the 1-11. I'm not moving the goalposts im just saying looking at his record 2 games into year 2 is kinda pointless as a stat. It would be better to evaluate his win loss record at the end of this year. If you want to say he coached a s#!tty game saturday I won't disagree with that too much but saying his record is worse than X Y  ot Z through their first 14 games is stupid because no one got the program coming off an abysmal 4-8 season. If you could drop each coach into the exact same situation then it might make sense to compare their first 14 games. Otherwise I think it would be smarter to wait until the season is over and see where we are at then in regards to record.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I mean.. we've played 2 games in year 2, so it is literally impossible for us to have cleared that this year. We'll talk if we don't clear it after 12 games this year.

Impossible?

4-8 in 2018, we were discussing 5.5 as the number, 2 games played in 2019, win both his record improves to 6.8.

Nope, not impossible.  Just didn't think it would take til week 3 of year two to get big win #6 of the Frost era.

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

Bo Pelini taking over a 5-7 squad begs to differ

No it doesn't because those were different circumstances..look im not gonna argue this all day. Using the first 14 game W-L record as a major metric for the direction of a program under a new coach is woefully misguided. Thats all I have to say about the matter.