Why We Should Change Our Schemes

Dansker

I prefer a power I with credible passing attacks.  Our defense needs more flexibility and faster more agile players.  We need linebackers who can cover passing like safeties and safeties who fill linebacker roles.  We face a lot run heavy teams and spread teams- some who do both.   

Ohio State, at times had 5 receivers with only five lineman.  Those five generally handled everything we through at the them.  Fields usually had sufficient time to do anything he wanted.  Our defense often failed to maintain their lanes allowing running lanes for Fields and Dobbins.  Their play scenes had our corners and linebackers adjusting and running all over the field.  

Our blitzes are usually not concealed.

• Haha 1

Frost is doing as good of a job on the recruiting trail with offensive tackles as we've seen in a while.....a while being decades.

Benhart is a freshman now, and then to have a tackle like Corcoran committed is very much the right direction in recruiting.

As those players go through Husker Power and mature, we'll be in really, really good shape on the OL.....and specifically at tackle where edge rushers are hurting us.

• Plus1 4

They changed the blocking rules to the point where this is unrealistic. It would make as much sense to spread the field, go Oregon style, and let our scat backs run in open space. Only problem with this, our defense leaks like a sieve to the point that none of this matters. How would you fix the defense?

5 hours ago, URSS said:

I prefer a power I with credible passing attacks.  Our defense needs more flexibility and faster more agile players.  We need linebackers who can cover passing like safeties and safeties who fill linebacker roles.  We face a lot run heavy teams and spread teams- some who do both.   

Ohio State, at times had 5 receivers with only five lineman.  Those five generally handled everything we through at the them.  Fields usually had sufficient time to do anything he wanted.  Our defense often failed to maintain their lanes allowing running lanes for Fields and Dobbins.  Their play scenes had our corners and linebackers adjusting and running all over the field.  

Our blitzes are usually not concealed.

Is there any way to identify the laughing clowns posting emoticons on here? Maybe they could set up the board with their name next to the emoticon so we could identify the asshat who is annoying everyone?

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

They changed the blocking rules to the point where this is unrealistic. It would make as much sense to spread the field, go Oregon style, and let our scat backs run in open space. Only problem with this, our defense leaks like a sieve to the point that none of this matters. How would you fix the defense?

The only problem with this is that our O can't even be Oregon. The Defense has been the best unit thus far in the Frost era. Our O has been garbage relative to the kinds of skill players we have/had, and the guy running it. Our D is designed to play free because the O is theoretically set up to score 35 a half. Now that it's not happening, the staff doesn't know what to do. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Vince R. said:

The only problem with this is that our O can't even be Oregon. The Defense has been the best unit thus far in the Frost era. Our O has been garbage relative to the kinds of skill players we have/had, and the guy running it. Our D is designed to play free because the O is theoretically set up to score 35 a half. Now that it's not happening, the staff doesn't know what to do. 

Thinking about the defense, they ran out of air in the 4th Qtr at high altitude and got thumped by the potential NC.... I’m probably being too hard on them. I just expected more against OSU.

13 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Our offense hasn't been what we were expecting thus far but the defense is better? We are 93rd right now and were 88th last year. 

Honestly I think the type of offensive Frost is used to running can work here.

The entire season we have been talking about the struggles at the O-line, but I think people aren't completely understanding how that affects the offense. For example, I don't think Martinez deserves most of the hate he gets. It is hard to make plays when you can't lean on your line. When you can't lean on them, you turn the great players on your offense into average players. I can see why it's hard to make good passes because he is constantly worried that he will be hit from behind or sacked. He's probably more focused on making sure he doesn't get sacked than actually passing the ball. Its because the trust between him and the O line isn't established yet because the O-line has shown so many issues. A prime example of this is with snapping the ball. There are times when Martinez jumps to catch the snap, even when the snap is in the perfect spot. Part of that is probably because he is anticipating a high snap because thats what we have seen all season. It causes the entire offense to be out of rhythm. Until the O-line can step up its going to be an issue trying to establish any type of offense. Especially if you aren't able to run between the tackles, this limits your play-calling and plays are much easier to be anticipated from the defense. Unfortunately in order to fix the O-line thats a process that may take 1-2 years as players mature in their positions. 

• Plus1 1

Teams in the B1G that run primarily spread:

Penn State, Ohio State, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Rutgers?, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska

Teams in the B1G that run primarily traditional/under center/power:

Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State (Sparty runs spread at times, too.)

Scott's the man, and needs time, but his offense truthfully isn't that unique, at least in this league. Everyone prepares for zone read, 10/11 personnel, 5 wide, screens, etc, given that 11/14 teams run that. Most defenses are now 3-4/3-3 variants with speed all over the field to negate the space we're trying to find. It just isn't there, now that defenses have caught up with what was once a creative way to move the ball - in 2007. Nearly everyone runs spread now. We have to be unique.

Wisconsin and Iowa are very hard to prepare for, and habits/reads are more difficult when trying to detect a play-action pass when it looks just like power/stretch. As much as I hate Iowa, I have to give Ferentz and his son credit for their offense - simple, yet effective.

We also compete against 10 other conference teams when recruiting spread-type athletes, when we could be taking Osborne's approach. First and foremost is the offensive line - Scott has gotten some guys, and we need to get the Pipeline rolling again. Then, you get some punishing backs, maybe a scat-back or 2, and a possession receiver. Osborne got the REAL athletes for defense - blazing fast track stars all over the field. What I wouldn't give for another Terrell Farley or Mike Rucker.

Play ball-control offense, hit the play-action pass every now and then. 4 yard runs make the chains move. Keep the defense off the field and fresh, so fatigue isn't an issue. Wear down their defensive front so the holes get bigger in the 4th quarter. 

The way that we could be unique from Iowa and Wisconsin is with the option plays - no one else does this, so it's difficult to prepare for, just as it was in the past. Do I miss the glory days? Of course, but this isn't about that. This is simple logic. Everyone is running spread now, and we can't be everyone. Let's get big and punish all the other teams for recruiting to stop the spread with smaller athletes. Knute Rockne once said, 'Big fast boys will beat small fast boys every time.' 

• Plus1 2
21 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I think our current talent fits an Oregon style offense as well as anything, and we still have a good power runner in Mills.

it seems to me there are much better things we can try besides the Martinez pocket guessing game. He needs to act a lot more and decide a lot less.

Spreading it out also negates the huge line disadvantage we’ve had.

I don’t expect Frost to do any of this but it’s fun to talk about on a message board.

We’ll most likely continue to see a bunch of option draws in lieu of a running game that can beat a good team.