8-4

4 hours ago, Redux said:

No need to put, I'm looking for moral victories too.  But I know who our level of competition was during this stretch.  Makes me think we shoul be better than 8-4.

To be fair, those 4 losses are OSU twice a good Iowa team we barely lost to and the debacle at CU this year. It feels like we should be better than 8-4 considering the competition, but really 10-2 or 9-3 is the best case for that 12 game stretch.

8 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

To be fair, those 4 losses are OSU twice a good Iowa team we barely lost to and the debacle at CU this year. It feels like we should be better than 8-4 considering the competition, but really 10-2 or 9-3 is the best case for that 12 game stretch.

So by your math, we’ve beaten the bad teams we should, lost to every team with a pulse and that’s where we are. 

We are paying too much for those kind of results. And talking too much. 

• Haha 3
9 hours ago, CapoValley said:

So by your math, we’ve beaten the bad teams we should, lost to every team with a pulse and that’s where we are. 

We are paying too much for those kind of results. And talking too much. 

We aren't paying for this stretch we are paying for the long haul. I'm glad you aren't in charge of athletics, you have no vision. 

• Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We aren't paying for this stretch we are paying for the long haul. I'm glad you aren't in charge of athletics, you have no vision. 

Yes, I think there are things you can point to that show Frost is trying to build things the right now. That he is working through some growing pains and sacrificing some wins or style points if you will to build for the future. We probably have some freshman who could play now but we are making sure to redshirt them. Wandale was a rare case of a guy who had to play because he was just that good. Struggling through the Jurgens snaps- I think they see insane potential with him so they are trying to let him play through it. As painful as it is to watch- if we get a Jurgens sophomore through senior year who is the next Rimington then good call.

Some of these things its like is the juice worth the squeeze. If we are still going to suck- then might as well work through some kinks.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

Just remember, 7 games into the 2016 season, Mike RIley was 10 - 2 over his previous 12 games, with an upset of the #6 team in the land!

Seriously, if the question is whether Nebraska is trending forward, our current 4-2 team just doesn't pass the eye test at the moment. I'm not talking about the trolls and naysayers. Pretty much everyone here is vexed by the regression of our Heisman-touted QB, concerned about some of the conservative play-calling, the continued penalties and turnovers, the lifeless third-quarters, and the lowering of expectations from division contender to simply getting back to six wins and a bowl berth.  

The biggest change is that the fan base now promotes patience, accepts that this might take years, and sees a 6-6 record as just hopeful enough. But it's not too much to expect the team to play better as the season goes on. That's kinda the bare minimum. A repeat of last year's Minnesota game would be the tonic right now. 

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just remember, 7 games into the 2016 season, Mike RIley was 10 - 2 over his previous 12 games, with an upset of the #6 team in the land!

Seriously, if the question is whether Nebraska is trending forward, our current 4-2 team just doesn't pass the eye test at the moment. I'm not talking about the trolls and naysayers. Pretty much everyone here is vexed by the regression of our Heisman-touted QB, concerned about some of the conservative play-calling, the continued penalties and turnovers, the lifeless third-quarters, and the lowering of expectations from division contender to simply getting back to six wins and a bowl berth.  

The biggest change is that the fan base now promotes patience, accepts that this might take years, and sees a 6-6 record as just hopeful enough. But it's not too much to expect the team to play better as the season goes on. That's kinda the bare minimum. A repeat of last year's Minnesota game would be the tonic right now. 

I think there is noticeable forward progress, just not as much as everyone would like.  And not in all areas.  But the couple areas that we've taken a step back are well outweighed by the progress we've made in other areas, imo.  It's just that the bad things tend to stand out more, especially when you lose games.

Category - 2017 - 2018 - 2019

Scoring O - 25.8 - 30.0 - 28.7

Total O - 385 - 456 - 415

Rushing O - 107 - 209 - 196

Passing O - 277 - 247 -  219

3rd Down % - 37.6 - 37.2 - 41.0

Scoring D - 36.4 - 31.3 - 26.5

Total D - 436 - 433 - 383

Rushing D - 214 - 195 - 165

Passing D - 221 - 237 - 218

Tackles for Loss / game - 3.7 - 5.3 - 7.8

Sacks / game - 1.2 - 2.1 - 2.7

Passes defended / game - 3.1 - 5.8 - 6.3

Opponent 3rd Down % - 43.1 - 43.2 - 35.8

Turnovers Gained / game - 1.0 - 1.7 - 1.8

Turnovers Lost / game - 1.6 - 1.8 - 1.2

Penalty Yards / game - 60.7 - 70.8 - 57.5

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just curious if Nebraska keeps playing ugly and AM doesn't look better, the play-calling stays the same, etc. and so forth, but we just keep finding ways to win and end up say 9-3 or 8-4 does it still not feel like we're trending forward? I am actually curious how people would feel about that.

I know it's been ugly the losses were bad and the wins not impressive, but I honestly think it feels like progress regardless of what I expected the team to look like this year.

31 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

12-8 the 20 games prior to that. Frost faced a 4-16 record in contrast 

Merely suggesting that cherry picking the record doesn't mean your eyes are deceiving you: Riley's 7 - 0 team was a paper tiger. Frost's 4-2 start this year has inspired more grumbling than hope --- the team just doesn't look very good. 

There were big hopes for this season, including the national media. If the question is whether Nebraska is trending forward, I think the answer is still "not yet." 

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Merely suggesting that cherry picking the record doesn't mean your eyes are deceiving you: Riley's 7 - 0 team was a paper tiger. Frost's 4-2 start this year has inspired more grumbling than hope --- the team just doesn't look very good. 

There were big hopes for this season, including the national media. If the question is whether Nebraska is trending forward, I think the answer is still "not yet." 

Completely disagree. Yes we don't look great, but we are absolutely trending forward from where we have been the past 2 years.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Completely disagree. Yes we don't look great, but we are absolutely trending forward from where we have been the past 2 years.

I would agree we are trending forward. We still have plenty of warts to get rid of, and some things have been more of a struggle than anticipated. It may not be a huge leap, but our record being improved to 4-2 and finding a way to win a couple of close games leads me to believe the trend is upward, at least a little bit.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Honest question:  did you feel better about the team that ended last season beating Michigan State (with defense), Illinois (with offense) and giving two ranked teams -- Ohio State and Iowa --- hard fought games on national television?  Or do you prefer the team we're watching right now? 

On 10/6/2019 at 7:02 PM, grandpasknee said:

Just occurred to me while working outside this afternoon.  If you look at the Husker's last 12 games, we are 8-4.  Not koolaid material, but still not bad, considering the ash heap we are climbing out of.

Nice observation and good on ya for posting it.  I do see at least three more wins (almost said "guaranteed") on the schedule this season.  AND A BOWL GAME FOR SURE.