McCaffrey vs. Minnesota

7 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I don't think McCaffrey will play in these conditions. How he would play is far more of a mystery than even Vedral. I could actually see him coming in as a receiver rather than a QB, but I don't see that happening either. I'm not sure why Bunch isn't the 3rd string having far more experience? Probably just politics.

Because Bunch sucks as we saw last year. Experience doesn’t mean squat if you aren’t a good player. 

30 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

You're ability to run the playbook means something for a backup. Which means maybe McCaffrey has it down better than I thought.

From the sounds of it he had most of it down by the end of the spring. Really promising talent. 

• Fire 1
On 10/10/2019 at 9:37 PM, Husker in WI said:

I think my main complaint about the staff this year is the handling of redshirts. They talk about it a lot, but Rahmir has used 2 games for something like 10 plays. McCaffrey used one for one play, although like you mentioned I think the one play scenario caught them off guard and they'd told McCaffrey he was the guy if Vedral went down. And Chase/Nance aren't ready for any game action? 

I know they want them to be fully prepared, but they're is nothing wrong with giving them a subset of the game plan to focus on. If it's only a couple games, the specific plays they're used for won't be enough for other teams to key on. 

For me, McCaffrey going in for one play is a good example of BAD COACHING on Frost's part.  As our coach as for all the coaches, they have to look at the players they are planning on using for four games and truly strategize on how they will use these players [what games, what scenarios and for what purpose] and build a "mini-game plan" on what the purpose and goals are followed up with evaluations for these players.  Sure, if you have an emergency like what happened ... it could be different ... but how about really planning that out as well?  This is Div I football.  To me, it was and still is very baffling.  You can't fly by the seat of your pants.  I hate to be critical but for me it was just bad coaching [thus I even capitalized it].  

Still, in Frost I Trust ... I hope for the best out of him and his mistakes will get corrected, along with better input and impact from his coaches.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:40 PM, WyoHusker56 said:

Noah Vedral: Throws one incompletion. 

Huskerboard: "He's just not making good decisions we need to see McCaffrey for a series to settle Vedral down."

That’s funny. But the reality is it was at least two or three games in before that was being said about AM. A pattern had been established. I realize you and I don’t agree on the seriousness of that “pattern”. 

7 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

That’s funny. But the reality is it was at least two or three games in before that was being said about AM. A pattern had been established. I realize you and I don’t agree on the seriousness of that “pattern”. 

The difference is that AM last year and at times this year (2nd half of Illinois) has shown how good he can be, so in my opinion, he's earned some grace. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

Ya the only pattern I see is our lines inability to block or snap the ball consistently.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:04 PM, Minnesota_husker said:

First question: What makes you think Martinez wont play?

The big question I would have is if you think McCaffrey can make a difference you either have to pick your spot when you play him moving forward(only 3 more games or he cant redshirt) or you just burn the redshirt and you use him moving forward.

I dont mind the idea if you can create 5-10 plays where he can be used in a way that keeps MN on their toes.

I think Vedral has enough speed to still be effective in running what you might want to run with McCaffrey. If you are looking for blazing speed, you might as well go wildcat and use Robinson. 

Martinez is not suited up tonight