Defense Struggles

Maybe someone with a better understanding of the X's and O's can explain to me what the sources of our defensive struggles are?

Indiana runs to the edge and they are uncontested.

Its 3rd and 7 and the Indiana QB gets to the edge and gets a first down.

Indiana QB has 6 seconds in the pocket the entire game.

IS the problem talent? or is it coaching? or is it both? I also am starting to think that the older guys are not sold on Frost. I see the Davis twins onstantly getting dumbshi* penalties. I see our CB's getting constantly smoked. I heard an interview a couple months back after Lamar Jackson got a pick, and instead of talking about how the play helped his team, Lamar talks about how its nice to get an interception on film for the NFL.

Our defense lost this game today. Our third string QB was adequate enough to wins this game for us

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

58 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

It’s not only their fault, but Barry and Honas get targeted by OCs. Honas can make some nice plays when he’s a heat seeking missile that finds its target. But he also overruns plays all the time.

I think today showed that our DBs are much improved under this staff, but still not good enough.

Serious question, what game were you watching? Our dbs have improved? They were beat all day long. No picks, no big break ups, constantly a step behind or getting called for interference. Not looking for the ball, not tackling. I could continue, but there is no need. What improvement do you see? The whole defense is a joke. MAC offenses would have a field day against this d, they are an absolute nightmare. 

3 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Serious question, what game were you watching? Our dbs have improved? They were beat all day long. No picks, no big break ups, constantly a step behind or getting called for interference. Not looking for the ball, not tackling. I could continue, but there is no need. What improvement do you see? The whole defense is a joke. MAC offenses would have a field day against this d, they are an absolute nightmare. 

I think they have improved, but with no rush EVER, they are trying to guard guys for 4-8 seconds.  That’s never going to work.  

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Sorry, you’re absolutely right that was poor wording on my part. I was trying to say that while the DBs have looked improved on the season, today showed they’re still nowhere near good enough.

1 minute ago, CAHusker said:

I think they have improved, but with no rush EVER, they are trying to guard guys for 4-8 seconds.  That’s never going to work.  

Agreed on the D-Line, the passive defense is a carry over from the last staff. A four man rush hasn’t worked for us since Suh. The d may as well stand still and wait for The ball to be delivered, it would be the same effect. However, I don’t think the secondary has improved at all. They are giving up way too many easy yards constantly. The amount of 3rd and Longs this team gives up is staggering

1 minute ago, Caliborn72 said:

Sorry, you’re absolutely right that was poor wording on my part. I was trying to say that while the DBs have looked improved on the season, today showed they’re still nowhere near good enough.

I am not attacking you, it is just so unbelievable how poor this defense has been for so long. We can’t cover, can’t rush, can’t cover, we sit back and let offenses tear us apart and no adjustments, ever. So frustrating. I would rather all out blitz every pal and get beat than let everyone have their best offense performance against us week after week. How do people who do this for a living not see this? 

6 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

I am not attacking you, it is just so unbelievable how poor this defense has been for so long. We can’t cover, can’t rush, can’t cover, we sit back and let offenses tear us apart and no adjustments, ever. So frustrating. I would rather all out blitz every pal and get beat than let everyone have their best offense performance against us week after week. How do people who do this for a living not see this? 

The QB was grasping his chest because he was in pain.  We were getting gashed the whole game....

Why not get gashed trying to get to a hurting QB (Send the house!)?

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

The DE's don't appear to make their first step up field to "set the edge".  They appear to rush and try to collapse, leaving a LB free to make a 1-1 tackle.  Unsure what's being taught.  I always understood regardless of scheme set the edge first.

To add on to the DL.. They do not stay low enough and seem to not know how to redirect or be physical with their arms. Also, the twins lack size in their arms and speed to beat tackles. 

4 minutes ago, CalhounHusker said:

To add on to the DL.. They do not stay low enough and seem to not know how to redirect or be physical with their arms. Also, the twins lack size in their arms and speed to beat tackles. 

Chase Young (I know an athletic freak) moves and bends in ways our DL doesn't.  No one on our DL plays like top tier guys.  Hell, they don't even play like Indiana guys.....They have the talent based on "stars", but don't play like it.  With technique you mentioned above, That's coaching IMHO.   

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Chase Young (I know an athletic freak) moves and bends in ways our DL doesn't.  No one on our DL plays like top tier guys.  Hell, they don't even play like Indiana guys.....They have the talent based on "stars", but don't play like it.  With technique you mentioned above, That's coaching IMHO.   

No joke, it really looks like our D-Line is just there to hold the offense lines hands. They literally do nothing. No rush, no run stop. There is just nothing good to say about the defense, period.