You Are The Head Coach

Just now, Jeremy said:

You think any of our quarterbacks are going to take a shotgun snap in 10/11 personnel and have enough time to find anyone with 5 guys who are mediocre pass blockers 'protecting' them? We're not going to pass on Wisconsin, plain and simple. 

The thing is the line has given plenty of protection recently and the playcalling gets recievers open but our QB is in his head right now. We need Martinez to play better 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We've ran maybe 2 good RPO's all season. We don't have a QB that can throw that pass with accuracy, so the 'option' to pass isn't even there. Why keep trying this crap that isn't working?

I'm not calling for option every play. You set things up. Mills on a dive/trap (like we already did with success), counter to Wandale/Rahmir. ISO. Pitch. PA Boot Pass. A Belly or Reverse Option every now and then. 

With the lax rules on holding and jersey pulling, there's no reason it couldn't work today. I'm not yearning for the past so much as smart, solid, ball-control football, because what we've been doing has been, for the most part, an utter failure.

It “worked” for one drive in one game that after the timeout was called and adjusted too we threw an int....caused by poor blocking upfront.  To switch strategy 11/2 seasons in with that kind of justification is a bit short sided to say the least.  We don’t have a line that can block with all the misdirection and this offense should be friendlier to a garbage oline.  Moving to the i, pwr run game, pa pass would make our oline look even worse if that’s possible.  Another pt, you all are calling to scrap an offense all these coaches know and have been recruiting towards....again tremendously short sided.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

They've had Rahmir on the field for one play in 2 games and he didn't get the ball. If that's not burning a redshirt, I don't know what is. I didn't even say 'I Formation every down,' so stop with that bullcrap. 

You think any of our quarterbacks are going to take a shotgun snap in 10/11 personnel and have enough time to find anyone with 5 guys who are mediocre pass blockers 'protecting' them? We're not going to pass on Wisconsin, plain and simple. 

Well technically it's not, doing that in 4 games would be. Seriously I'm with you though, the handling of Rahmir's redshirt has me baffled.

But our pass pro has been alright since OSU. Not great, but serviceable.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

TOP in the Purdue game was pretty equal...same was true in Indiana.  I’d be willing to bet that trend holds true through much of the season.  The idea that our def is out there all the time isn’t based in fact.  

Our oline is is hot garbage and asking them to road grade anyone isn’t going to look much better.  Outside of new names on the oline I’m not expecting much.  I’m not saying we can’t mix it in but certainly wouldn’t want to change our whole offensive strategy to move to the I, option game.  Yes those days ARE over.

I'm not advocating for total option game. You include it in the plan, but focus on keeping them guessing with Dives, ISO's, Counters, Pitches, and PA Boot. We don't want to have equal TOP. We want to dominate that part of the game - 35 to 25 or even 40-20. Wishful thinking, I know.

As for whether the O-Line couldn't do it? I don't know. They're some big boys. Give them one job. One guy to block, and I think they could. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I'm not advocating for total option game. You include it in the plan, but focus on keeping them guessing with Dives, ISO's, Counters, Pitches, and PA Boot. We don't want to have equal TOP. We want to dominate that part of the game - 35 to 25 or even 40-20. Wishful thinking, I know.

As for whether the O-Line couldn't do it? I don't know. They're some big boys. Give them one job. One guy to block, and I think they could. 

To control TOP to that degree you have to have a defense that can get off on 3rd down, we don’t have that and the offense won’t address that.  I guess I don’t understand the call to move to I, pwr ball, pa pass.  Again, this offense should be more friendly to inept oline play than what you’re advocating for.  “One job” & “one guy”..... I guess I don’t know that they aren’t being asked to do that now and are incapable.  Also, do we scrap recruiting inside of two yrs to go back to some dream of the 90’s because we think it’s simpler...I just don’t think it is.  

I have zero confidence in our oline if that can’t block in the current system that they would do better out of the I.  We’d more than likely get 1-2 yds and a cloud of dust.  ‘09 defense could handle that, right now we’d get beat because our def can’t even stop a 3rd string  walkon from putting together a game winning drive.  Our biggest issue on offense isn’t the system it’s largely been qb and inconsistent oline play.  The changes you’re asking for doesn’t address either of those issues.

3 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

To control TOP to that degree you have to have a defense that can get off on 3rd down, we don’t have that and the offense won’t address that.  I guess I don’t understand the call to move to I, pwr ball, pa pass.  Again, this offense should be more friendly to inept oline play than what you’re advocating for.  “One job” & “one guy”..... I guess I don’t know that they aren’t being asked to do that now and are incapable.  Also, do we scrap recruiting inside of two yrs to go back to some dream of the 90’s because we think it’s simpler...I just don’t think it is.  

I have zero confidence in our oline if that can’t block in the current system that they would do better out of the I.  We’d more than likely get 1-2 yds and a cloud of dust.  ‘09 defense could handle that, right now we’d get beat because our def can’t even stop a 3rd string  walkon from putting together a game winning drive.  Our biggest issue on offense isn’t the system it’s largely been qb and inconsistent oline play.  The changes you’re asking for doesn’t address either of those issues.

Sadly, I agree. Most of my conjecture is wishful thinking with little basis in reality.

However, the 'one job' aspect I'm talking about is the read-step/combo blocking they try a lot, and fail at a lot, as opposed giving the linemen single blocking assignments. Cam either takes the nose if they're in an odd front, or moves up to the Mike if they're even, the guards take the D-tackles, our tackles take the end or outside backer, etc.

Hat for Hat blocking as opposed to zone blocking, because currently they're looking to move up too quick, or the wrong guy moves up, etc.  

Could we pull it off? Probably not, but it would be nice to see a change from what we're seeing now. 

39 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

He's already ran a bunch of these plays. It's not a complete change of anything. Is it not obvious this offense is not working? Our defense is almost last in EVERY statistical category. If we're going to win, we need to keep them off the field.

Why not drive block to beat hell, grind out yards, and run the clock? Doesn't that give us a better chance?

Or, we could keep up the crap we've seen all season - throw it 2 or 3 times, stop the clock, go three and out, punt/shank it 30 yards, and get pushed backwards until they score. Rinse and repeat. 

I've had enough of this 'the 90's are over' crap. We KNOW. I'm simply talking about good football strategy and philosophy - ball control as opposed to up-tempo that hasn't really been there all year, and when it has, the opponent just takes a dive. Yay. 

If they came out and ran for some first downs, hit some play-action passes, the place would go nuts for the first time since...hmmm, oh yeah, they did it against Ohio State. That's the loudest our stadium has been all year. 

They haven't run a bunch of those plays they ran a few of them in one drive that still ended in a turnover. They are not going to change offenses. This is what we git when Nebraska hired frost he's a spread guy and out side of a few plays here and there he's gonna line up in the shotgun 99% of the time.

• Fire 1
Just now, LumberJackSker said:

They haven't run a bunch of those plays they ran a few of them in one drive that still ended in a turnover. They are not going to change offenses. This is what we git when Nebraska hired frost he's a spread guy and out side of a few plays here and there he's gonna line up in the shotgun 99% of the time.

Yeah, I know. But the OP asked what I would do if I was the head coach. I know Scott won't, but this is what I would do. Truthfully, I think it's just as viable as the plan that scored just 27 on a less-than-stellar Purdue defense.

• Plus1 1

Frost - Willie Taggart - Kelly ....... Oregon disease.

Under Taggart, the Seminoles showed little to no progress, and an embarrassing 27-10 loss to rival Miami on Saturday made it clear to administrators they had to make a change. Florida State dropped to 4-5, and needs wins in two of its final three games just to get back to bowl eligibility.

Nebraska dropped to 4-5, and needs wins in two of its final three games just to get back to bowl eligibility.

BTW, Miami UThugs >>>> Purdue (and Indiana too)

2 minutes ago, Hooked on Huskers said:

Frost - Willie Taggart - Kelly ....... Oregon disease.

Nebraska dropped to 4-5, and needs wins in two of its final three games just to get back to bowl eligibility.

BTW, Miami UThugs >>>> Purdue (and Indiana too)

Not sure where you are going with this but this aint it boss

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
15 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Nothing says simple game plan like complete changing offensive philosophy during the bye week. Give it up people the 90s aren't coming back. 

People always say that (going back to the 90's).  The all the rage RPO was run by TO as was what's now the modern spread.  He did it from more "traditonal" power formations than  what it is run from today.  But he used simplified zone (inside/out) blocking schemes and really was the fore runner of the modern spread (started to evolve).  Not saying you are saying this, but his O was much more than the triple option and even that really wasn't the base.  He also started to run out of the shotgun and pistol....

I do agree, unless Frost has spent some time each week/practice it would be really hard to use the I and double wing all game IMO (thinking the amount of plays would be limited). I hate to say it, but we are not the great running Frost's offense that we can afford to practice other stuff.  Maybe in the off season we see a true merging of the Oregon tempo with Husker power.

6 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Sadly, I agree. Most of my conjecture is wishful thinking with little basis in reality.

However, the 'one job' aspect I'm talking about is the read-step/combo blocking they try a lot, and fail at a lot, as opposed giving the linemen single blocking assignments. Cam either takes the nose if they're in an odd front, or moves up to the Mike if they're even, the guards take the D-tackles, our tackles take the end or outside backer, etc.

Hat for Hat blocking as opposed to zone blocking, because currently they're looking to move up too quick, or the wrong guy moves up, etc.  

Could we pull it off? Probably not, but it would be nice to see a change from what we're seeing now. 

Hat for hat would help Farniok out tremendously in my opinion.  Wouldn't have to reach which seems an issue for him...well for several of them....

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, lo country said:

People always say that (going back to the 90's).  The all the rage RPO was run by TO as was what's now the modern spread.  He did it from more "traditonal" power formations than  what it is run from today.  But he used simplified zone (inside/out) blocking schemes and really was the fore runner of the modern spread (started to evolve).  Not saying you are saying this, but his O was much more than the triple option and even that really wasn't the base.  He also started to run out of the shotgun and pistol....

I do agree, unless Frost has spent some time each week/practice it would be really hard to use the I and double wing all game IMO (thinking the amount of plays would be limited). I hate to say it, but we are not the great running Frost's offense that we can afford to practice other stuff.  Maybe in the off season we see a true merging of the Oregon tempo with Husker power.

On the bright side, the amount of yards we can pile up now is impressive.  We need to improve in details and red zone.

I think if the blocking issues get even mostly shored up next season, we'll be pretty good.  And I'm talking line blocking and perimeter blocking.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, TheSker said:

On the bright side, the amount of yards we can pile up now is impressive.  We need to improve in details and red zone.

I think if the blocking issues get even mostly shored up next season, we'll be pretty good.  And I'm talking line blocking and perimeter blocking.

Very true.  Regardless of anything, if your O can't get a push nothing will work....I will give Kudos to Frost on the Jurgens move.  He has improved dramatically in the snapping department and is very aggressive in run blocking.  Maybe Frost does know a thing or 2:D .  Another year  of making line adjustments won't hurt at all.  Did Farmer make line calls last year or did AM? Might be the reason for the AM drop  if he is now having to make calls to help the OL...