247 Looks at the 2016 and 2017 Recruiting Classes

Mavric

15 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

It would have been nice if we could have kept Bookie and Tyjon, and Avery Roberts.  If those 3 guys dont leave with Mike's firing, last year would have been a completely different story.  Exactly what we needed was the holes filled from where those guys would have been playing.  Why our recruiting rankings from 2016 and 2017 mean nothing, we lost most of our best players from those years.

I don't think last year would have been Tha different with those players.  The difference in the OL that Riley recruits versus what Frost recruits is night and day.

8 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Avery Roberts maybe, but not really sure I see it with the other two.  They haven't yet shown to be anywhere near the difference makers we lacked.

After losing Demorrio , we lacked speed in the secondary and Bookie is pretty good.  Tyjon is doing well too, and we needed a receiver.

27 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

After losing Demorrio , we lacked speed in the secondary and Bookie is pretty good.  Tyjon is doing well too, and we needed a receiver.

Bookie is a mediocre DB in the big 12. Avery Roberts was out of shape & quit. And Tyjon is an injury prone short guy who isn’t very quick against college players. We did Ohio State a favor. They all left or didn’t come here and likely would make minimal impact. 

12 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Tyjon was the 4th best receiver on an average team. The entire core is underclassman at OSU. I guess, we had a similar player in Noa on our team and that didn't revolutionize the offense for us. Tyjon is not the mega blocker big bodied tall receiver that would have made a difference, and again, has not shown to be a difference maker in a small guy body either. He is average, and average wasn't going to help us. Bookie was benched a few times last year because he lacks the mental strength to be a consistent defender. Our secondary was not our issue last year, and certainly a kid who had some growing up to do mentally wasn't the answer out there no matter how fast he runs a line.  

• Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Tyjon was the 4th best receiver on an average team. The entire core is underclassman at OSU. I guess, we had a similar player in Noa on our team and that didn't revolutionize the offense for us. Tyjon is not the mega blocker big bodied tall receiver that would have made a difference, and again, has not shown to be a difference maker in a small guy body either. He is average, and average wasn't going to help us. Bookie was benched a few times last year because he lacks the mental strength to be a consistent defender. Our secondary was not our issue last year, and certainly a kid who had some growing up to do mentally wasn't the answer out there no matter how fast he runs a line.  

Bookie became most well known for his hit in the playoffs that got him tossed.  There were a few OU fans calling for him to be kicked off the team because of his mental laps 

12 hours ago, Decked said:

Bookie is a mediocre DB in the big 12. Avery Roberts was out of shape & quit. And Tyjon is an injury prone short guy who isn’t very quick against college players. We did Ohio State a favor. They all left or didn’t come here and likely would make minimal impact. 

7 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I get your points, but you really think they couldn't have developed differently under this staff? Or Ohio State's for Lindsey? If they wanted to be here and bought in, they could have helped us a lot. They didn't so it's kind of a moot point, but Roberts has looked good for Oregon State. I wouldn't say Bookie is mediocre, he's just very inconsistent. Fisher took Jackson who was waaay worse than Bookie when he got here and helped him turn into an all-conference corner. Tyjon is a weird case where he just doesn't seem as fast as he was supposed to be, but I think he could've played over everyone except JD and Wan'Dale last year.

I get that we're all bitter these guys didn't come here/left, but let's not pretend we're at the point where they aren't good enough to have helped us.

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I get that we're all bitter these guys didn't come here/left, but let's not pretend we're at the point where they aren't good enough to have helped us.

I'm not pretending, I truly believe they are exactly the kind of players who have led to our need for more help.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
28 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I'm not pretending, I truly believe they are exactly the kind of players who have led to our need for more help.

Maybe. But I think under different circumstances (coaches) they would be different kinds of players. It's hard to work hard if the coaches tell you you don't have to and you can see the program collapsing anyway. Some of that is on the players for sure - there are guys who will work hard regardless. But I can't attribute the entire state of our program to kids who are contributing just fine elsewhere. That tells me it was more on the coaches than those kids. It's their job to develop the players, and other staffs have done so with a couple of these same guys.

I don't want to throw out specific names but there are plenty of players who flamed out here and haven't worked out anywhere else, and I'd put more of the blame on them than guys like Roberts and Lindsey. If they had started their careers under this staff they would be fine - although who knows if they would've committed to/been offered by this staff, so really a moot point I guess.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:41 PM, HuskerInLostWages said:

You definitely wouldn't see this kind of thing in a normal big name program.  Too many misses not enough hits.  I can't even think of a team with that many misses and came out ahead.  We really shot ourselves in the foot hiring Riley.

Not only that but our foot has been in our mouths the whole time too which makes shooting it all the more dangerous

On 2/20/2020 at 8:20 PM, BigPeterJ said:

Bookie has been bagged on during every ou game I watched this season.  Granted he’s only a soph so jury isn’t still out but dude is catching heat on what is a pretty awful defense.  Tyjon didn’t do a whole lot in a pass happy offense, in a pass happy league.  Hardly difference makers.