The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

7 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I think it leads to more “claimed” allergies, not necessarily real ones. But mostly I was just venting about the coddling and helicopter parenting.

This is pretty much it.

So at my school, I have a list of all my students and their health issues, sometimes the kids will see their name with the little "health" symbol next to their name and be like "What is that?" and so I tell them it is just a health issue that their mom/dad let the school know about.  

No joke 9/10 times the kid is like "Wait, I have what?" or "Oh my god, I fainted once in 4th grade and now my health issue is that I get light headed"?

I am sure it is difference with like preschool and kids that age.

• Plus1 3
18 hours ago, teachercd said:

It really is not that big, I get the health issues of all my students and out of the 150 or so that I teach I think 1 has nut allergy.  

The difference today is that now things are done for that one kid where when we were in school it was just "Yeah, don't eat nuts"

Relative to all the rest of students, it’s not that big.  But, I can honestly say that nobody I went to school with had these allergies. So, one or two out of 150 is a big jump.  

Every one of my kids had a kid they went to school with with these allergies. 

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I think it leads to more “claimed” allergies, not necessarily real ones. But mostly I was just venting about the coddling and helicopter parenting.

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

I could tell :lol:

And don’t get me started on the 30something tough guys rolling coal :lol:

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Relative to all the rest of students, it’s not that big.  But, I can honestly say that nobody I went to school with had these allergies. So, one or two out of 150 is a big jump.  

Every one of my kids had a kid they went to school with with these allergies. 

Yeah, now it is talked about.  When I was a kid I knew of one kid that would talk about being allergic to stuff.  That was it.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

They might as well have.  It would be just as worthless. 

This is a prime example of a study being done because of what idiots believe. 

But they didn’t, because the Ivermectin they used in the study is a drug intended for human use. Despite all the moronic jokes about it being horse medicine.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

But they didn’t, because the Ivermectin they used in the study is a drug intended for human use. Despite all the moronic jokes about it being horse medicine.

I'm with you on this one. Calling it a horse dewormer when it has perfectly valid uses for humans, and is on the WHO list of essential medicines is extremely dishonest. It's just lazy tabloid journalism.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I'm with you on this one. Calling it a horse dewormer when it has perfectly valid uses for humans, and is on the WHO list of essential medicines is extremely dishonest. It's just lazy tabloid journalism.

can you show me where it was called horse medicine in the link?  the poster called it horse medicine...not the study or the headline.     i don't think calling it tabloid journalism really fits in this case.    the point that has been walked away from in the responses was that ivermectin didn't do anything to help covid patients.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

And it still showed zero efficacy for the treatment of COVID.  :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

And yet people were literally gobbling down horse dewormer.  The point is Ivermectin has been shown to not be effective for the treatment of COVID.  

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I can sorta explain that - allergies are all driven by exposure ... when I (and I assume many of you here at HB) were young, as soon as we could say "I'm hungry" mom was giving us pb, on a spoon, on celery, on an apple - I remember zero kids with nut allergies.  Then folks started waiting to expose their kids (I blame the move to breast feeding kids and being more aware of what they were exposed to starting with what mom eats)

Like the first year in pre school every kid gets sick all the time, they get more immune to more things as they are around school (and people and germs) more.  As some of my parents aged folks would say "kids need to eat dirt - makes em' healthier".

My kid with the egg allergy was barely on solid food when he had his first reaction. He broke out in hives on his stomach and threw up in the pediatricians office. He had a hard time breathing too. He reacted to a small piece of angel food cake.

20 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

And yet, it’s still not medication for horses. :facepalm:

Ok let's break this down for you.  

I posted a study showing Ivermectin was not effective in the treatment of Covid.

People have been eating Ivermectin containing horse paste.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/20/ivermectin-shortage-horse-owners-covid

I took the liberty of extrapolating that maybe eating horse dewormer (i.e. ivermectin containing horse paste) might not be such a great idea after all since the study showed the same active ingredient, in human form, was shown ineffective against Covid.

Still following?  I'm I wrong at this point?

You came in apparently triggered by my posting as such and claimed that the study wasn't about eating horse paste but about Ivermectin in the form for human consumption.  Ok. Still the same active ingredient no? 

I'm not sure what to make of your take that study didn't use Ivermectin in the horse medicine form.  Were you thinking that somehow a study using that form would yield different results?  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2