The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

10 hours ago, knapplc said:

Funny how this much ado about nothing distraction comes out right when the TFG family gets some really bad press.

Ya, well, it was started by anyone in the Republican  sphere :dunno   It’s funny how trying to correct the false record is now considered changing the subject:facepalm:   

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If a news organization wants to be seen as unbiased they just need to cut out two things:  1-- The short, intense, made-for-tv debates. They're dumb, agenda motivated, and playing a role in ruining this country... 2-- The commentary. Tell us what happened, or is happening. Full stop.... Not your interpretation of why. Not your interpretation of motives, or who the victim is. Just the news. BBC largely does this, especially on their nightly "World News" show, and it's why I tune in.  Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC can all go f#&% themselves.

Before I finished reading your post, I was thinking in my head....yeah, like BBC does.  It's a refreshing way of getting world news.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Imagine a world where the news shared facts and then people thought about them and made an educated decision on what their opinion might be.

Americans are lazy and Fox "News"  (and eventually others) figured out that the general population is perfectly happy to be TOLD what their opinion is.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Imagine a world where the news shared facts and then people thought about them and made an educated decision on what their opinion might be.

Americans are lazy and Fox "News"  (and eventually others) figured out that the general population is perfectly happy to be TOLD what their opinion is.  

It is pretty funny that other cable news sources were so pissed at Fox that they copied their model completely.  

My theory is that most people really don't like to hear news.  They like to belong, and have their approval and outrage shared and spit back at them.  My issue with Twitter it is the ultimate 'hot-take' medium.  It's a wasteland of people following other like-minded individuals, creating these huge echoplexes where no one is ever put into the uncomfortable position of having their opinions challenged or changed.  

• Plus1 2

36 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

It is pretty funny that other cable news sources were so pissed at Fox that they copied their model completely.  

My theory is that most people really don't like to hear news.  They like to belong, and have their approval and outrage shared and spit back at them.  My issue with Twitter it is the ultimate 'hot-take' medium.  It's a wasteland of people following other like-minded individuals, creating these huge echoplexes where no one is ever put into the uncomfortable position of having their opinions challenged or changed.  

^^^ This.  And, if another news outlet "reports" something that goes against that, they are the enemy and shouldn't be trusted.

35 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Twitter is great medium to get stories you normally wouldn’t see on your own.  It’s up to individual people to follow a wide range on opinions or else what you described does happen.  

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

My issue with Twitter it is the ultimate 'hot-take' medium.  It's a wasteland of people following other like-minded individuals, creating these huge echoplexes where no one is ever put into the uncomfortable position of having their opinions challenged or changed.  

If this is someone's Twitter experience they're doing something wrong. People choose who/what they follow. If they're only going to follow an echochamber of accounts, that's what they're going to do on any social media. 

People blame Twitter for being a bad site, but it's not the car, it's the driver. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If this is someone's Twitter experience they're doing something wrong. People choose who/what they follow. If they're only going to follow an echochamber of accounts, that's what they're going to do on any social media. 

People blame Twitter for being a bad site, but it's not the car, it's the driver. 

I knew I was going to touch some nerves by criticizing Twitter.  To each their own.  To me, the medium itself seems to be perfectly suited towards sharing trite tidbits of cherry picked information or clipped audio/video, with a dash of editorialism from the tweeter letting you know how to interpret what you've just seen.  Similar to Fox/CNN television formats.

But yes, just like any medium...it's just a tool and there are some valuable, comprehensive, and useful data sources that are part of the platform.  Just tough to weed through the communities of shared outrage, misinformation, and celebrity worship, which I think makes up most of the user base.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Twitter is as easy as you want to make it, and as hard as you want to make it. Criticism of twitter often is the result of a user getting what they requested. 

You should work at Apple support.  There are no issues with Apple hardware, only features that the user can't understand.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I would love it! Too many news opinion shows out there. 

News orgs report the facts they want to portray a narrative and then omit others. I read about a driver in CO that drove through a protest on I225. The reports all came out early, but had very different spins of the story. some details were left out of some stories. they all seemed to show the same or similar videos, but it one case, the video was cut short right before a dude pulled a gun and started approaching the car. The car took off. The descriptions of the event varied from ‘this was an obvious pre-planned hate crime’ to  ‘motive unknown’.  Honestly, at that point, it could have been a hot head that got pissed the freeway was blocked. Luckily my kids former teacher was at the event and gave us his perspective.

• Plus1 2

For what is it worth, the reporter or editor seems to sayng the justice Gorsuch story needs clarification because of a poor choice of words. 

I want to clarify my bias in the media comments. Not everyone is open and overt about their bias like Hannity or Maddow, but what is included and omittd in an artilce and the words used in the story can show bias. If it happens repeatedly  with a given reporter its a problem. I totally agree with NM11046. Tell me the facts and leave my conclusion to me, unless its an editorial....then be all means, try and convince me 

• Plus1 2