The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Wait is it true that the "offended" judge really came out and said it did not happen and there are still people saying it happened?

So crazy anti-maskers and crazy-super maskers are the same!  

This is like crazy Iowa fans saying that the black guys that were offended while playing for some racist coaches were not actually offended...

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, nic said:

I disagree, but do agree that incompetence in the media is also an option.

The two justices put out a joint statement saying it’s false. Will NPR print a retraction? This is from FOX so don’t bother to read it.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/sotomayor-gorsuch-dispute-npr-report-masking

The two justices put out a statement that doesn't at all acknowledge what Tottenberg reported - it was very specifically worded.

Tottenberg will be on All Things Considered this evening and is supposed to be acknowledging this topic; will be interesting to see how she explains it.  

I disagree with your opinion on the bias of NPR, and I think it's pretty scary when we are at the point that sources like NPR, BBC, AP, Reuters and others are considered liberally biased just because they tell the truth.  Based on Tottenbergs history and past work, she is part of a very short list of people I'd consider pretty close to beyond reproach.  I'm sure there are mistakes made, and I'd expect if that's the case she will openly discuss it tonight. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If a news organization wants to be seen as unbiased they just need to cut out two things:  1-- The short, intense, made-for-tv debates. They're dumb, agenda motivated, and playing a role in ruining this country... 2-- The commentary. Tell us what happened, or is happening. Full stop.... Not your interpretation of why. Not your interpretation of motives, or who the victim is. Just the news. BBC largely does this, especially on their nightly "World News" show, and it's why I tune in.  Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC can all go f#&% themselves.

• Plus1 6
21 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If a news organization wants to be seen as unbiased they just need to cut out two things:  1-- The short, intense, made-for-tv debates. They're dumb, agenda motivated, and playing a role in ruining this country... 2-- The commentary. Tell us what happened, or is happening. Full stop.... Not your interpretation of why. Not your interpretation of motives, or who the victim is. Just the news. BBC largely does this, especially on their nightly "World News" show, and it's why I tune in.  Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC can all go f#&% themselves.

Amen.

I caught some CNN the other day, first time in years. It's atrocious. They're better online, but I rarely go to the website anymore, either.

• Thanks 1

Link to Wash Post. Roberts quoted as not asking for a mask per NPR report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/neil-gorsuch-sonia-sotomayor-masks-supreme-court/2022/01/19/7977831a-7946-11ec-9102-d65488c31bb1_story.html

The fact that NPR editorial board decided to run this story is questionable to me. I mean, who cares.

Truth in media lies somewhere in the middle. And yes FOX news is bias. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The aftermath is more interesting than the original headline. :snacks:

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

The two justices put out a statement that doesn't at all acknowledge what Tottenberg reported - it was very specifically worded.

Tottenberg will be on All Things Considered this evening and is supposed to be acknowledging this topic; will be interesting to see how she explains it.  

I disagree with your opinion on the bias of NPR, and I think it's pretty scary when we are at the point that sources like NPR, BBC, AP, Reuters and others are considered liberally biased just because they tell the truth.  Based on Tottenbergs history and past work, she is part of a very short list of people I'd consider pretty close to beyond reproach.  I'm sure there are mistakes made, and I'd expect if that's the case she will openly discuss it tonight. 

It’s fair to disagree. Some news agencies are worse than others for sure. The NPR reporter covering the White House was pretty questionable. I can’t remember her name. 

• Plus1 2

I can’t believe I actually took time to dig into this, but here is what I’ve found.

SCOTUS started meeting this past fall and only Sotamayor wore masks and she attended hearings in person.  As Omicron started to spread, 7 of the 8 other Justices started wearing masks even though they were fully vaccinated.  Sotamayor “appears” to be uncomfortable sitting next to an unmasked Gorsuch (otherwise she’d be in person, right?). 

All of this drama aside, why didn’t Gorsuch   just put one on without  being asked? I mean, if all of my coworkers were wearing them in a meeting, I’d kinda feel like a dope if I didn’t.

What a day!

• Plus1 4
6 hours ago, NM11046 said:

:facepalm:

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, nic said:

It’s fair to disagree. Some news agencies are worse than others for sure. The NPR reporter covering the White House was pretty questionable. I can’t remember her name. 

I have to take back my comment about the NPR White House correspondent…I was thinking of the one from PBS. Alcindor or something like that.