Progressive politics and where they go from here

15 hours ago, teachercd said:

Well, I know I don't want to pay more taxes so hopefully they can be super progressive about finding ways to lower taxes.

Being an educator and literally shaping our future, I should not have to income tax at all.  Now THAT is progressive. 

Right?  Come on, get on board!

Something that rarely gets asked is what paying more in taxes gets you (schools, roads, ports, military, etc.) or paying less loses you (same list plus teachercd's salary, etc.).

15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why the Holy f#&% does he come out with this now instead of after Biden wins?  Sometimes life just leaves me banging my head against the wall. 

Just shut up Bernie for at least a month.  

It's politics. Bernie has more political power before the election than he will have after Biden is in office. Plus it can help Biden get elected since more progressives will come out to vote on the premise that Bernie and the progressive movement can get something out of a Biden presidency. Biden's campaign might even be asking Bernie to go out and offer something to progressives based on their internal polling (just a wild guess) since Bernie has been extremely supportive of Biden.

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Something that rarely gets asked is what paying more in taxes gets you (schools, roads, ports, military, etc.) or paying less loses you (same list plus teachercd's salary, etc.).

Well, with the Trump tax cuts, all it got us was a HUGE deficit.  

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It's politics. Bernie has more political power before the election than he will have after Biden is in office. Plus it can help Biden get elected since more progressives will come out to vote on the premise that Bernie and the progressive movement can get something out of a Biden presidency. Biden's campaign might even be asking Bernie to go out and offer something to progressives based on their internal polling (just a wild guess) since Bernie has been extremely supportive of Biden.

I'm not going to argue that that's not what he's thinking.

But, I disagree.  Biden is ahead as far as he is because he's seen as a moderate...good guy...that moderate voters feel comfortable voting for.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, with the Trump tax cuts, all it got us was a HUGE deficit.  

I'm not going to argue that that's not what he's thinking.

But, I disagree.  Biden is ahead as far as he is because he's seen as a moderate...good guy...that moderate voters feel comfortable voting for.

Which is why Bernie comes out and says he's going to pressure Biden instead of Biden coming out and saying he's going to do a bunch of progressive stuff. And moderate voters aren't the only voters out there, which is why it'd be interesting to know what the campaign's internal polling is telling them.

• 1 month later...