What ...

23 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

What Could One Gain By Believing In God?

My experience  ... you can gain almost everything one is willing to see differently!

Sometimes it is asked, "How can I look at something differently?"

I mean, if you really want to look at things differently, then you'd consider not believing in God as well as believing.

• Plus1 2

On 2/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, RedDenver said:

Sure. People are welcome to come to whatever conclusions they want. I'm pointing out that the post is based around seeing things differently but then goes on to only consider one perspective.

And of course the entire thread presumes that the author knows what God really wants you to believe. Apparently it's something that most believers don't. 

It would be cool if we thought and acted a little more like Jesus.  And if I'm reading BigRedN correctly, he thinks you can and should do this by bypassing the church itself. 

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And of course the entire thread presumes that the author knows what God really wants you to believe. Apparently it's something that most believers don't. 

It would be cool if we thought and acted a little more like Jesus.  And if I'm reading BigRedN correctly, he thinks you can and should do this by bypassing the church itself. 

BigRedN just doesn’t realize he’s Lutheran…

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Isn't baptism supposed to be between the person being baptized and God? Is the church saying that because some priest misspoke, God can't work his magic?

That's a great point knapplc. This is the kind of stuff is where the church just... completely loses me. Some leaders/denominations get so caught up in order and tradition that they'll act like an arbiter or judge of God's will, as if they have the place to do so anyways.

If Baptism is supposed to be the cleansing of sin that comes from faith in Jesus, do they really think that messing up a word as part of the entire symbolic process is going to make Jesus say "GOTCHA!! NO FORGIVENESS FOR YOU SUCKER."

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Enhance said:

That's a great point knapplc. This is the kind of stuff is where the church just... completely loses me. Some leaders/denominations get so caught up in order and tradition that they'll act like an arbiter or judge of God's will, as if they have the place to do so anyways.

If Baptism is supposed to be the cleansing of sin that comes from faith in Jesus, do they really think that messing up a word as part of the entire symbolic process is going to make Jesus say "GOTCHA!! NO FORGIVENESS FOR YOU SUCKER."

This is the kinda stuff that makes many people feel the same way as you about the bureaucracy of The Church and drives them away from what the messages of the church ought to be.  It’s a shame and doesn’t seem to be getting much better.  They need to get back to focusing on what Church can mean for the individual instead of conforming everyone into rigid process and no insightful soul searching that leads to better humanity 

• Plus1 3
  • NoLongerN changed the title to What ...