The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It doesn’t surprise me that illegals are prevalent in ag or construction.  I thought that was well known.  Is your point we should just continue as is?  

I got a new roof in 2021 but the company I chose uses E Verify. It was a half white half Latino crew from what I saw.  

Does HR2 not expand legal immigration?  

H.R.2, as far as I can tell, does not expand legal immigration. 

It mandates E-Verify, potentially gutting industries that rely on illegal immigration - but does not increase legal visas for agricultural workers, construction workers, or any form. So what's the plan after entire sectors of the economy are gutted?

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, commando said:

sure sounds like a dictator.   but some think it is ok if this guy wins

I always get a chuckle any time he mentions corruption.

It takes an absolutely breathtaking brand of stupid to take him seriously.

Why not let Bernie Madoff run the SEC or Bill Cosby head up a sexual abuse support network. Jared Fogle can be the new host of Dateline: To Catch a Predator. And heck, appoint this guy to run the DoJ. 

They’d all be similarly terrific!

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

What does Putin and Orban have to do with passing immigration/border security bill? Or is this more non-helpful political rhetoric? 

The two had to be linked because the deeply unserious clown show of a party you still support can’t be trusted not to sell out our allies to thugs like Putin without being thrown a bone.

Said bone is thrown and of course it’s ignored. Because they don’t want compromise to solve problems. They want everything on their wish list or nothing at all. Not exactly shocking if you fundamentally don’t want the government to work anyway.

But that’s not how life works and it’s not how government works, either. But they’d rather hold the border hostage hoping it sweeps them into power so they can just pass their bad immigration bill and whatever other damaging pieces of policy they can actually manage to drag across the finish line on their own.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 4
26 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It mandates E-Verify, potentially gutting industries that rely on illegal immigration - but does not increase legal visas for agricultural workers, construction workers, or any form. So what's the plan after entire sectors of the economy are gutted?

Not their concern.

That bill was written by the immigration hawks specifically to limit immigration of all stripes. It is the brainchild of the anti-immgration folks over at the CIS. They don’t care about any secondary effects as long as they get their way.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

People have been and keep fighting for wage increases and now some of you are like "Oh...well if THOSE people are not here to work THOSE jobs...what is going to happen?"

What is going to happen?  Those f#&%ing jobs are going to have to pay more money to get people to work those jobs and the cost of all that stuff is going to skyrocket...just like everything has.  

You can't pretend to care about one and not care about the other.  Unless you just really don't care at all.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

42 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Here’s the thing.   If Schumer would take up the bill and add in/subtract what the Senate wants, a negotiation is then started between the two houses of Congress.   Issues like immigration caps, combined with funding for processing and security are discussed.  But hardliners like Schumer won’t allow the process to happen. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Very stable genius indeed. 

With a 2nd WH term, Trump won't have anyone around to protect us from himself as John Kelly did - see bold last sentence below.

Trump will have a bunch of yes men around - people not a part of the quote 'deep state' (ie qualified, experienced people).  When Trump goes wacko:ahhhhhhhh - which he will - those around him will have neither the will, the guts or the desire to confront dear leader.  I honestly thank God that there were some in the administration who were both a filter and a limit to Trump to a certain degree during the first term - while he was trying to learn the ropes of a job he never expected to win.  This time around we won't be so lucky.  

Just another reason to vote early and often for a Dem - even if you have to hold your nose in doing so.  Oh, forget the often part. 

Concerned White House staff 'called psychiatrist about Trump's mental instability' in 2017

A top psychiatrist claims she received a phone call from White House staff who were worried about Donald Trump's mental health, she tells Daily Express US.

In recent weeks, Trump's mental well-being has become a topic of political debate as he and Nikki Haley clash in the race to become the Republican Party nominee.

Haley has suggested that Trump may not be fit for office. The former President claims he has taken a mental fitness test and "aced it."

Dr Bandy Lee, a psychiatrist formerly of Yale University, edited a book called 'The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump' which was published in 2017.

In it, 27 psychiatrists, psychologists, and other mental health professionals wrote essays explaining their concerns that Trump is mentally unfit for office.

Experts argued in the book that Trump is "too mentally unstable" for office.

Dr Lee tells Daily Express US that, in late 2017, she received a warning from White House staff that Trump was showing signs of mental instability.

She said: "While I was meeting with Congress members, there was one Republican who was willing to meet with us and her office agreed to meet.

"We were discussing the situation with the Congress members, but the Congresswoman entered the office and then said she wasn't willing to talk about it.

"Two people from the White House reached out to me in late 2017 with concerns about Trump. They were calling because of the book I edited.

"I unfortunately at the time had to refer them to the emergency room. At first, I wasn't sure whether they were actually calling from the White House. Secondly, I didn't want to become the President's treater.

"Once I do a personal examination or personally get involved, I can no longer educate the public."

Dr Lee says she was concerned that getting directly involved would compromise her impartiality and therefore leave her unable to speak openly about her concerns regarding Trump's mental health.

She continued: "The emergency room didn't do anything. Later, when I called back the number they called from it was indeed the White House.

"When I called the emergency room, they said they were not concerned about the issue.

"It came out later that White House Chief of Staff at the time, John Kelly, bought my book and shared it with staff and may even have used it to prevent nuclear war with North Korea."

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

People have been and keep fighting for wage increases and now some of you are like "Oh...well if THOSE people are not here to work THOSE jobs...what is going to happen?"

What is going to happen?  Those f#&%ing jobs are going to have to pay more money to get people to work those jobs and the cost of all that stuff is going to skyrocket...just like everything has.  

You can't pretend to care about one and not care about the other.  Unless you just really don't care at all.

There physically are not enough capable workers for those jobs.  Undocumented workers still make minimum wage, unless they are getting paid in cash which would be pretty difficult for big business to conduct that way.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, funhusker said:

There physically are not enough capable workers for those jobs.  Undocumented workers still make minimum wage, unless they are getting paid in cash which would be pretty difficult for big business to conduct that way.

Yeah...they are not getting min wage.  They are getting exactly enough to get them to work.

I am all for easy immigration but I want them to come here AND get treated well.  Not like some posters who want them to come here and take "those jobs" so that they can have more oranges.  

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah...they are not getting min wage.  They are getting exactly enough to get them to work.

I am all for easy immigration but I want them to come here AND get treated well.  Not like some posters who want them to come here and take "those jobs" so that they can have more oranges.  

Then those companies are breaking federal law.  Minimum wage laws also applies to undocumented workers.  But they also know they can't ask for more because there is nowhere else to go for a job.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Then those companies are breaking federal law.  Minimum wage laws also applies to undocumented workers.  But they also know they can't ask for more because there is nowhere else to go for a job.

Of course they are breaking the law!  

min wage may apply to them…but it doesn’t “apply” to them…sadly.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Of course they are breaking the law!  

min wage may apply to them…but it doesn’t “apply” to them…sadly.

And I don't think anyone asking for better minimum wage is also advocating for employers of these workers to break the law and pay less.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

And I don't think anyone asking for better minimum wage is also advocating for employers of these workers to break the law and pay less.

Hmmmmm...

I don't think that YOU are doing that.  But when people post things that are like "We need THOSE workers because Americans won't do it" it doesn't take much to read between the lines.

I know people, not you, LOVE the "SHOW ME WHERE" bit but...well...Casper was invisible but I could still see him.  

• Haha 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election