The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

They asked Biden to get them more funds. Guess who has to approve those funds?

The NY mayor was talking about a state of emergency because of being overwhelmed. Maybe that is strictly a money play, but it's a bad look politically especially when kids get to go back to the disaster called remote learning in order to use schools to house immigrants. Democrats better hope this settles down or we will get 'build a wall' Trump 2.0. And yes the Republicans no longer have any motivation to help fix this for the next 9 months because it's the Democrats that own it in the eyes of the public. Maybe a few executive orders could help.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, nic said:

The NY mayor was talking about a state of emergency because of being overwhelmed. Maybe that is strictly a money play, but it's a bad look politically especially when kids get to go back to the disaster called remote learning in order to use schools to house immigrants. Democrats better hope this settles down or we will get 'build a wall' Trump 2.0. And yes the Republicans no longer have any motivation to help fix this for the next 9 months because it's the Democrats that own it in the eyes of the public. Maybe a few executive orders could help.

None of this indicates the Biden administration doesn’t care. He’s requested $1.4 billion for the cities with the worst problems. They are saying they need $5 billion, but he can’t get the law to pass through the House right now. 

Even if it does settle down, the Republicans have a lot of gullible voters. They’ll convince them it’s emergency just like in 2015-2016 when it wasn’t one. 

Our government is broken right now. The Republicans didn’t want to make ACA better because it would make the Democrats look good. Their MO for years has been stay in power and trick people into hating the Democrats on various hot button issues that they usually make up. Some are actual issues but then they make up the details. 

• TBH 2

Now Biden is willing to shut it down?

I am not sure I believe it can be shut down. Maybe that means we send everyone back. Seems like a President could shut down the border on their own if it's an emergency. At least he finally realizes Trump is going to pummel him on this if he doesn't do something.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/27/politics/biden-border-shut-down-us-mexico-immigration/index.html

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, nic said:

I am not sure I believe it can be shut down. Maybe that means we send everyone back. Seems like a President could shut down the border on their own if it's an emergency. At least he finally realizes Trump is going to pummel him on this if he doesn't do something.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/27/politics/biden-border-shut-down-us-mexico-immigration/index.html

Don’t you remember all the times the Biden Admin has claimed the Border was already closed and secure.   

• TBH 2

8 hours ago, nic said:

As Trump and his sycophants in Congress bellow about their stellar border security they really don't have a leg to stand on.  Of course the gaslit will argue otherwise but the data shows Biden has sent back a higher percentage of border crossers than Trump did.  Trump's policies weren't effective and his wall?  LMAO

https://www.cato.org/blog/new-data-show-migrants-were-more-likely-be-released-trump-biden

'According to new data published last month, the Biden Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has removed a higher percentage of arrested border crossers in its first two years than the Trump DHS did over its last two years. Moreover, migrants were more likely to be released after a border arrest under President Trump than under President Biden.

In absolute terms, the Biden DHS is removing 3.5 times as many people per month as the Trump DHS did. These figures are important for understanding how each administration has carried out border enforcement."

The reason why more people are attempting to cross the border is more complex than is being painted here. Economic factors here and in their home countries drive most it and right now we don't have enough workers to man our economy.  Political conditions are another big driver. 

The asylum process is law and I guess if you want, you can promote going against the law.  I mean that's Trump's thing for sure.  Title 42 became invalid when the Covid Emergency expired.  If we were still under that MAGA would be crying about it instead.  The bipartisan proposal coming out of the Senate looks like a good starting point but if course MAGA under orders from Trump are going to kill it.  That's where your outrage should be pointed.  

• Thanks 3
10 hours ago, nic said:

Did you guys really think Biden was just going to waltz right into a trap Trump's party was very obviously trying to set up for an election year in broad daylight?

I mean without a doubt he's not a spry as he used to be. But he's not a moron and he understands the system he's spent decades working in.

The bill spells out exactly what we'd do. Ramp up enforcement whenever crossing numbers exceed the designated limits and impose stiffer penalties for repeat offenders. While adding extra immigration judges and other support staff to finally start unclogging of LEGAL immigration system to make it actually functional again.

The Speaker is calling on Biden to do something which Trump already tried and was legally determined unlawful by the courts. There is a loophole that is allowing immigrants to LEGALLY claim asylum due to the way the current laws are written. If we don't like it we need to write new laws addressing the matter. Which is solely the job of Congress.

Biden can close the border unilaterally just like he can legally authorize use of military force anywhere he wants. He's rightly trying to push Congress to do their damn jobs, just like they've failed to do in both areas for decades.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, teachercd said:

That post is higher than the wall!  My god.

That took way more effort than I am willing to spend reading the board, but perception tends to win in politics.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

The Speaker is calling on Biden to do something which Trump already tried and was legally determined unlawful by the courts. There is a loophole that is allowing immigrants to LEGALLY claim asylum due to the way the current laws are written. If we don't like it we need to write new laws addressing the matter. Which is solely the job of Congress.

Biden can close the border unilaterally just like he can legally authorize use of military force anywhere he wants. He's rightly trying to push Congress to do their damn jobs, just like they've failed to do in both areas for decades.

Great. Close it for 30 days and tell congress to close the loophole. That would look good and put the spotlight back on the congress. It would also help with the criticism. Pull the trigger man. 

• Plus1 3

Pathetic weak Senator Scott.  He does a what-about Hunter when denying that voters care about

the $83m verdict in the  E Jean Carrol case.   The price of selling one's soul is pretty cheap now a days 

it appears. 

• TBH 2
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election