The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There’s a big difference between what he is saying and what you’re saying. 

There are people who sit and watch it every night cheering the BS on and being brain washed. 

Then, there are people like me and @knapplc that know it’s totally BS and post a clip to show others it’s BS. 

Big difference. I can guarantee you that Fox, Newsmax, OAN haven’t been on in my house for possibly 18 years. 

Sure, there is a HUGE difference I agree.

But in the end, because of social media, you end up seeing it.  I am not saying you come home from work and turn it on, you just end up seeing it or some of it.

There are people that hate Joe that turned in to watch him f#&% up last night, which didnt really happen.

There are people that don't really care about politics all that much that will see/hear a lot of his speech on social media. 

I suppose my thought was not super clear.  I just meant that most people will end up hearing/seeing his speech.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

The reality is that most Americans support some policies on both sides if moderated in the middle.  Problem is both parties are pulling us apart and trying to pull everything to their extreme.  Compromise and moderation is what we need.  That isn't happening any time soon with the people in charge.

Edit:  I should add Fear mongering has added to the issue as well.

You're 100% correct. Most of us are a mix of conservative and liberal. Almost nobody is so polarized they can't find something from both sides of the political spectrum to agree with. 

We've just had such garbage candidates at all levels for so long that politics itself is polarized. The electorate doesn't want that. But we only have so many choices on the ballot. 

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You're 100% correct. Most of us are a mix of conservative and liberal. Almost nobody is so polarized they can't find something from both sides of the political spectrum to agree with. 

We've just had such garbage candidates at all levels for so long that politics itself is polarized. The electorate doesn't want that. But we only have so many choices on the ballot. 

This is what I have been saying.  95% of us are "normal" when it comes to most everything, politics included.  Little left, little right and so on.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
40 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

The reality is that most Americans support some policies on both sides if moderated in the middle.  Problem is both parties are pulling us apart and trying to pull everything to their extreme.  Compromise and moderation is what we need.  That isn't happening any time soon with the people in charge.

This is pretty accurate.  But at least the Dem establishment is doing a better job of holding on from the extremes in their party.  I will definitely err on the side of dems just for stability's sake in the next several cycles at least.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
41 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is pretty accurate.  But at least the Dem establishment is doing a better job of holding on from the extremes in their party.  I will definitely err on the side of dems just for stability's sake in the next several cycles at least.

I can't imagine voting for a Republican right now.

• TBH 1

On 3/7/2024 at 8:44 AM, Archy1221 said:

This may help explain why he is having such an issue (at least with current polling which can change quickly) with the electorate.  Especially when facing a historically unpopular opponent that is basically doing nothing to capture voters outside his own base except tell them to go away.   Biden should be cruising to re-election and win in a today’s partisan version of a Regan blowout.   

His extreme Liberal policies as you mention are preventing this. 

It could be, hear me out, that Republican voters live in an information bubble that is disconnected from reality. Hyper partisanship, particularly on the Right, makes Reagan style victories all but impossible. You do realize the irony of what you're saying, as a voter convinced that Biden is a criminal based on no evidence and only substantiated by the intelligence agencies of China and Russia? 

Since huge swaths of the country vote and behave like you do, Biden cruising to re-election is all but impossible. To many voters are willing to vote for a rapist (like you did twice) America hating insurrectionist because he is part of their identity politics. Any Presidential race between any Democrat and any Republican (unless it's Mitt Romney who truly would win easily) is going to be a coinflip.

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

The median American agrees with you, but the median voter rewards partisanship. 

Make no mistake, politicians behave and respond to incentives. They are incentivized by the electorate to behave the way they do because it works. JD Vance and Josh Hawley play characters in pursuit of power because their electorates reward that behavior.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The median American agrees with you, but the median voter rewards partisanship. 

Make no mistake, politicians behave and respond to incentives. They are incentivized by the electorate to behave the way they do because it works. JD Vance and Josh Hawley play characters in pursuit of power because their electorates reward that behavior.  

Sooooo true!

All the world is a stage, it is true.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

Agree.  That’s why I opined the possible reason Joe is not where he should be on the polls is he is is extreme Liberal like Strange said.  People don’t seem to be liking it.  

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Could be but isn’t.  

Who knows, right?

But given that the GOP's SOTU response echoed things you often post in here, does it really stand up to scrutiny? All the talk of elderly men and struggling housewives and the working poor taking multiple jobs.....and the cost of health care....and the diminished sense of security.....and the American Dream itself....does anyone truly believe that policies put in place starting January 2021 altered their trajectory for the worse? Could you have dropped that exact same narrative into any SOTU over the last 40 years regardless of the party in charge? I know Democrats certainly have. 

The policies that might conceivably address these systemic problems will likely be considered extreme, given that systemic problems are pretty well entrenched. If you're talking about banning abortion, that will actually make the bad stuff worse in a multitude of under-reported ways. If you're talking about student debt forgiveness, that actually comes with a pro-business benefit. If you're not actually talking about policies, but about woke language regarding race and gender, that's just silly. Although......yeah, that's the kind of stuff that influences voters.

Geez, we've become a silly country.    

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

This may not get talked about enough, but in issues of extreme importance to the American people, the bill presented to Congress may be loaded with ancillary or even totally unrelated riders that either party will stick in as political gamesmanship. The headline is about the party who rejected this seemingly wise proposal and not the behind-the-scenes horses#!t. It's no secret that most Americans aren't well informed about the issue or policy in the first place.

Probably moot anyway, as we've moved into 100% partisan silos on virtually everything presented. We've always had partisan bickering, but it's never been this feverish and absolute. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

You do realize the irony of what you're saying, as a voter convinced that Biden is a criminal based on no evidence and only substantiated by the intelligence agencies of China and Russia? 

I’m not convinced he’s a criminal.   I refer to Joe the same way as his son does :dunno

Substantial evidence would need to be presented before I believed him to be a criminal.   I’m actually against impeachment hearings for The Big Guy.   I’ve posted that before 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1