The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Uggh, that's a list that guarantees the Republicans take back the White House in 2025.  There is absolutely zero chance AOC becomes President.  She has neither the qualifications nor the electability.  Anyone from center-left to right, hates her.   If this is the list of front runners in a few years then Trump 2024 becomes a real thing.  How depressing.

• Plus1 5
39 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Uggh, that's a list that guarantees the Republicans take back the White House in 2025.  There is absolutely zero chance AOC becomes President.  She has neither the qualifications nor the electability.  Anyone from center-left to right, hates her.   If this is the list of front runners in a few years then Trump 2024 becomes a real thing.  How depressing.

Just sumed up whats wrong with America in one sentence. Omg this WOMAN is trying to give me healthcare, a living wage and save the world for my kids and grandkids! I hate her!

I actually think she is more popular than you think in the democratic party. But yes, the propoganda against her from the right is effective. They are wrong about most

of what she standa for, but its def effective. 

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Just sumed up whats wrong with America in one sentence. Omg this WOMAN is trying to give me healthcare, a living wage and save the world for my kids and grandkids! I hate her!

I actually think she is more popular than you think in the democratic party. But yes, the propoganda against her from the right is effective. They are wrong about most

of what she standa for, but its def effective.

I sure hope you're not shooting the messenger here.  But there's a difference between what you want and what you can have.  The Democrats needs to realize that and if they roll out a widely unpopular candidate like they did in 2016...well good luck.  

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I sure hope you're not shooting the messenger here.  But there's a difference between what you want and what you can have.  The Democrats needs to realize that and if they roll out a widely unpopular candidate like they did in 2016...well good luck.  

No, Im not shooting the messenger, but you can say the same thing if they roll out a neoliberal candidate also. The truth is, we dont know how a true progressive would do because weve never had a true progressive run in the modern era. The only data we have is FDR and I keep saying he won 4x and 49 states in his last election. Thats what happens when govt works for people instead of corporations, its popular. 

Lets be honest, Biden would have lost if it was anyone but Trump. People hated Trump so much that they voted for Biden to get rid of Trump. Biden didnt inspire many people to vote for him, rather against someone. Hes the very definition of neoliberal. 

And as I mentioned above, propganda is effective, especially when the other side does not communicate effectively. Bernie was a terrible communicator. He never explained things so regular people could understand, he just repeated the same ole tired s#!t every day and still does on twitter. Ocasio-cortez is a little better at communicating her ideas, but still not very effective. Progressives have got to get better at this to battle the other side and their fearmongering. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

25 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

No, Im not shooting the messenger, but you can say the same thing if they roll out a neoliberal candidate also. The truth is, we dont know how a true progressive would do because weve never had a true progressive run in the modern era. The only data we have is FDR and I keep saying he won 4x and 49 states in his last election. Thats what happens when govt works for people instead of corporations, its popular. 

Lets be honest, Biden would have lost if it was anyone but Trump. People hated Trump so much that they voted for Biden to get rid of Trump. Biden didnt inspire many people to vote for him, rather against someone. Hes the very definition of neoliberal. 

And as I mentioned above, propganda is effective, especially when the other side does not communicate effectively. Bernie was a terrible communicator. He never explained things so regular people could understand, he just repeated the same ole tired s#!t every day and still does on twitter. Ocasio-cortez is a little better at communicating her ideas, but still not very effective. Progressives have got to get better at this to battle the other side and their fearmongering. 

Good points and while I don't disagree I really think a successful candidate must possess a likeable and charismatic personality.  I've come to the conclusion that policies are secondary for electability simply because our populous is too stupid to go any deeper than personality.  Trump really didn't have any concrete policies other than fear mongering, isolationism, and burn the whole place down.  But for some reason people liked that side of his personality.  You have to run some who people from a board coalition can get behind.  AOC's message might fly if she was likeable but the reality is she has a grating personality for the majority of Americans.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Good points and while I don't disagree I really think a successful candidate must possess a likeable and charismatic personality.  I've come to the conclusion that policies are secondary for electability simply because our populous is too stupid to go any deeper than personality.  Trump really didn't have any concrete policies other than fear mongering, isolationism, and burn the whole place down.  But for some reason people liked that side of his personality.  You have to run some who people from a board coalition can get behind.  AOC's message might fly if she was likeable but the reality is she has a grating personality for the majority of Americans.

I agree with all of this. She comes off as holier than thou at times which turns people off. She needs to pick and choose what fights to take on. The defund the police junk needed to be marketed better because people didnt get it and everyone who argued for it argued different things. Youd have one person say well it doesnt mean get rid of the police. And then others would say yes we need to get rid of police. It was a mess. And she was a part of that mess. Maybe instead of defund police, your slogan is reform police and then most people will be on your side. All comes down to marketing. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Scarlet said:

AOC is only slightly more likable than Nancy Pelosi

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

This article was posted on another thread but I thought it would be good here.    A deep dive into Nikki Haley - her political background and her desire to become President.

https://www.politico.com/interactives/2021/magazine-nikki-haleys-choice/?nname=playbook&nid=0000014f-1646-d88f-a1cf-5f46b7bd0000&nrid=0000014e-f109-dd93-ad7f-f90dc3060000&nlid=630318

• Plus1 1

Haley trying to clear the path to 2024 of the Trump debris.  

https://www.mediaite.com/news/nikki-haley-pronounces-trump-politically-dead-he-let-us-down-cant-let-that-ever-happen-again/

Former Ambassador Nikki Haley declared ex-President Donald Trump politically dead in a new interview, saying he can’t possibly run for federal office again.

Haley offered the comments in an interview for a Politico Magazine profile by Tim Alberta, and she did so by way of proposing that the natural consequences of Trump’s actions should be a sufficient substitute for impeachment, or any other form of accountability:

“He’s not going to run for federal office again,” Haley said.

But what if he does? Or at least, what if he spends the next four years threatening to? Can the Republican Party heal with Trump in the picture?

“I don’t think he’s going to be in the picture,” she said, matter-of-factly. “I don’t think he can. He’s fallen so far.”

This was the most certainty I’d heard from any Republican in the aftermath of January 6. And Haley wasn’t done.

“We need to acknowledge he let us down,” she said. “He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/02/12/nikki-haley-tells-politico-republicans-shouldnt-have-followed-trump/6735480002/

In an interview published Friday, Haley said Republicans never should have allowed Trump to take them down the road that led to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. 

"We need to acknowledge he let us down," Haley told Politico less than a week after the attack. "He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again." 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Since you are Republican, is there anyone you would vote for with an R behind his/her name? 

Sure  but it is way to early.  I haven't personally investigated some of the candidates that haven't been on the national level. 

In 2016 I went from Gov Walker of Wisc, to Rubio to Gov Kasich as the Trump machine cleared the field. 

I would still pull for Kasich if he decided to run again. If the GOP had chosen him in 2016 - I believe he would still be president vs Biden.  Could you imagine a reasonable guy like him in the WH during the beginning of this pandemic?  The GOP would have had a totally different image in the world as well.  Trump destroyed not only his personal brand but also that of the GOP.   A lot of rebuilding and rebranding needs to happen before 2024.

I like what I've seen from Gov Hogan of Maryland but I don't know enough about him thus far - his policy statements.  But he seems to have govern well in a typically blue state.

I had a sentimental favorite having grown up in SD:   Gov Noem - but she became such a Trump voice piece losing credibility.  I've watched her career from afar and think she is capable but the best path for her would be as a VP IMHO. (small state experience hasn't given her the experience I think she needs for the top spot)  Her whole hearted  support of Trump has given me great pause to support her. 

Nikki Haley -  I've been a fan of hers but like Noem, her support of Trump has given me pause.  By the interview above, I see she is trying to distance herself from that support.

I don't think there is a Senator I could support.  They all, except a few, have been kissing Trump's ring (had another word in mind but this is a family friendly forum:D)  Maybe Ben Sasse.  But a lot of posters on HB who live in Neb have issues with him.   I appreciate his resent words regarding the impeachment and the Jan 6 riot.

I will look at Governors.   - way to early to tell now. 

Pence is too stained by Trump and too dull for the average voter.  I don't think he gets anywhere.

• Plus1 1
  • TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election