Big 10 laughing stock of college football

Omaha fan

1 hour ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Omaha fan: “It matters what all those very talented players in the southeast think along with their parents and coaches who influence where those kids go to school. The big 10 is going to be continually blasted nationally when these 100s of college football games are being played.”

Talented players in the Southeast will just go on doing what they always do: Consider the Big Ten and others... and then go join up with a Southeastern powerhouse like they wanted to anyway.

Most players and fans in the South don’t think The Ten or anybody else is the equal of Southeast football. And they have plenty of good reasons to think so. Southern talent will go somewhere else if it’s a numbers game at their position and another conference would be best for their career. But that's not where their heart is.

The Big Ten now fully has a reputation of being out of touch, not transparent, arrogant, and dismissive of athletes and parents and fans. But this does present a great opportunity for the Huskers. If they continue to challenge The Ten’s powers-that-be and offer pushback and stand up for the rights of players and parents and fans, they will gain some good-will traction nationally. It might even get them a top recruit or two down the line who was impressed with the Huskers’ stance on this Big Ten dysfunction.

There might also be another Big Ten program or two silently cheering the Huskers on with their pushback. There is stress on the Big Ten member programs right now and an eventual divorce is likely, and the Huskers can use this to their advantage if they play their cards right.

Unsubscribe

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 7

10 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I just mean culturally we dont fit in the big 10. Maybe you like the elitist attitude and makes you feel special to be associated with a bunch of snobs. We love Nebraska FOOTBALL. We would be better fit in the SEC where they have a passion for football. It would allow us to recruit the parts of the country we need to be successful. Football 1, School 2. I know you are a school 1, football 2 kind of guy. Thats fine. good for you. But I dont think the overall sentiment of most nebraskans agree with you- i think they would agree with me. SEC would offer similiar money and its only a matter of time before they pass the BIG10 for biggest earning. SO more than anything if we wanted out of the big12 we should have chosen better. The BIG10 was the rebound girl. 

this dumb post gave me the measles - Spiderman Cancer | Make a Meme

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
10 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I just mean culturally we dont fit in the big 10. Maybe you like the elitist attitude and makes you feel special to be associated with a bunch of snobs. We love Nebraska FOOTBALL. We would be better fit in the SEC where they have a passion for football. It would allow us to recruit the parts of the country we need to be successful. Football 1, School 2. I know you are a school 1, football 2 kind of guy. Thats fine. good for you. But I dont think the overall sentiment of most nebraskans agree with you- i think they would agree with me. SEC would offer similiar money and its only a matter of time before they pass the BIG10 for biggest earning. SO more than anything if we wanted out of the big12 we should have chosen better. The BIG10 was the rebound girl. 

I get a lot of where this is coming from because you're presenting this as a football fan. But I just can't agree with most of it (I know that shocks you :D ). 

We are a much better cultural fit in the Big Ten than in any other conference. The Big 12 went the way of Texas, and Texas has indelibly stained that conference. It will never resemble the Big 8 again.  We are nothing at all like the SEC, and they would not accept us culturally. Missouri was a good fit, with similar cultural interests and leanings. Nebraska as a state, as a people, and as an academic institution has nothing in common with the SEC schools or states.  We're 100% not a fit for the PAC-12, either, nor are we anything like any ACC school.  We are right where we belong, and we should have been here since 1997. The Big Ten was not only not the "rebound girl," it was our first and only choice. 

Schools should never, ever be Football 1, School 2. They're academic institutions with sports, not sports institutions with academics. It's understandable why people think like that, as sports fans, but I can assure you that no P5 schools think that way. Not in the ACC, not the SEC, nobody. Every one of those schools would cut their athletic programs if they became a hindrance to their overall academic life. 

As far as the Big Ten being "snobs," eh. I don't see it. Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, for SURE Iowa, Purdue, Penn State, Michigan State - these are all blue-collar institutions, Land Grant schools like Nebraska. Northwestern - yeah, they're the nerdy snobs. Michigan and Ohio State are (with good reason) snobby about their superiority as schools & sports programs. But the cure for that is for us to get us better, not leave the conference. Michigan is no more snobby than Texas, Ohio State is no more snobby than Oklahoma, at least not their athletic programs. FOR SURE teams like Alabama, Georgia, Florida and LSU would look down their snobby noses at our athletic program. And while the Big Ten has Northwestern, the SEC has Vanderbilt, so you're not avoiding snobs anywhere you go. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3
46 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

21364.jpeg

What does this have to do with the big 10 being the laughing stock of college football? And How many of these deaths are healthy college age football players ? I’m guessing like the national average the vast majority are over age 70 with what 1 percent below age 60  right? And what 3 or 4 hundredths of one percent for below age 24? 

• Thanks 5
  • Fire 2

6 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Who is going to be the laughing stock when those other leagues are forced to cancel their seasons after three games?  I'd rather be the coach who goes into the livingrooms of parents and is able to tell them that those other teams only care about money and little Johnny is nothing more than a means to that end.  

That's the wild card in all of this.

People are all judging this from the front end.  It will be interesting how this is all viewed looking back in about 6-9 months.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Who is going to be the laughing stock when those other leagues are forced to cancel their seasons after three games?  I'd rather be the coach who goes into the livingrooms of parents and is able to tell them that those other teams only care about money and little Johnny is nothing more than a means to that end.  

I’m doubting that is happening. What can never be taken back is the big 10 didn’t even bother to delay the season til they had data about how things were going once kids came back. What they cant take back is the fact with over 5 months head start they didn’t have their protocols in place for fall and they still have no detailed plans for the spring. What they can’t take back is they let their students on campus and allowed practice but no games.  A total screw up no doubt. 

im feeling that isn’t a great story to tell mom and pops when another conference team lays out what playing in  The big 10 means. 

I guess we shall see. Personally I’m rooting for them to play and complete the season, I know others are rooting for them to fail so they can be right.

22 minutes ago, Omaha fan said:

I’m doubting that is happening. What can never be taken back is the big 10 didn’t even bother to delay the season til they had data about how things were going once kids came back. What they cant take back is the fact with over 5 months head start they didn’t have their protocols in place for fall and they still have no detailed plans for the spring. What they can’t take back is they let their students on campus and allowed practice but no games.  A total screw up no doubt. 

im feeling that isn’t a great story to tell mom and pops when another conference team lays out what playing in  The big 10 means. 

I guess we shall see. Personally I’m rooting for them to play and complete the season, I know others are rooting for them to fail so they can be right.

Is that real or just rumors?  Many have been talking about a 9-5 vote that was really 11-3.  A lot of opinions have been formed with bogus rumors/statements.  My guess is the B1G never intended to play.  Our league has states that were hard hit by Covid-19.  

But as you already stated, we shall see.  In the meantime, Georgia's prejected starting QB just announced he's not playing. Clemson's best receiver already announced he's not playing.        

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Omaha fan said:

What does this have to do with the big 10 being the laughing stock of college football? And How many of these deaths are healthy college age football players ? I’m guessing like the national average the vast majority are over age 70 with what 1 percent below age 60  right? And what 3 or 4 hundredths of one percent for below age 24? 

You are claiming this is going to hurt us when it comes to recruiting great football players from the south. Most great football players from the south are Black, and Black people from the south are far more likely to take the virus seriously because they are far more likely to know someone who has died or become seriously ill from the virus. And yes, most of those people might be grandparents. Doesn't change the fact they likely have a different perception of the virus than a midwestern White person who is statistically less likely to know someone affected. At worse this is probably a net zero affect on recruiting.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You are claiming this is going to hurt us when it comes to recruiting great football players from the south. Most great football players from the south are Black, and Black people from the south are far more likely to take the virus seriously because they are far more likely to know someone who has died or become seriously ill from the virus. And yes, most of those people might be grandparents. Doesn't change the fact they likely have a different perception of the virus than a midwestern White person who is statistically less likely to know someone affected. At worse this is probably a net zero affect on recruiting.

Those kids are playing today

Those kids peers and friends are playing today

Those kids peers and friends are playing d1 college football today

And those kids see none of his friends or peers dying or in most cases None getting seriously sick from this 

that does not bode well for recruiting. 99 percent of kids not entering the draft are playing this year. Those that don’t want to play don’t have to, they get the extra year. 

why not give the vast majority who want to play the same option as those kids, play or not play? 

if I’m a kid who loves playing football and I see teams all around me playing, do you really think I would sign up with a league that has a history of not playing? When all my buddies are playing and my buddies teams are close? Yeah right 

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If we were beating the s|-|it out of Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Penn State I really have a feeling you wouldn't have written this up, though. Could be wrong.

Sucking this bad sucks. But if we were good again I don't think anybody would care which conference we were in. Imagine winning the conference and then beating Oklahoma in the playoffs...all of this talk goes away.

• Plus1 1