It's Official. We're Back.

knapplc

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm almost positive this is the case. Ordinarily we'd have 168 televised games in a season, but we lose 56 games with the abbreviated season. With a lot of the conference ineligible for a bowl game, this gives us an additional six games' worth of ad revenue. 

Why is a lot of the conference ineligible for a bowl game?

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Why is a lot of the conference ineligible for a bowl game?

I suspect a lot of bowl games won't play this year. Also, I think this abbreviated, off-again/on-again situation is going to leave a lot of teams unprepared for the season, and there's going to be a lot of sucky football played.  See: Iowa State, Kansas & KSU.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Isn't the testing available now? Having zero bye weeks is unnecessarily risky. No reason to not start the 10th or at the latest on the 17th to give some flexibility.  This is dropping the ball yet again in my eyes.

Tin foil hat me wonders if this is yet another intentional delay to see if the others fail first so they can just cancel again.

It seems to me like the powers that be don't want this season to happen and that they are looking for any excuse to cancel as much of it as possible.

The way this is set up doesn't take player safety into consideration whatsoever.

It's a total weasel move.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I suspect a lot of bowl games won't play this year. Also, I think this abbreviated, off-again/on-again situation is going to leave a lot of teams unprepared for the season, and there's going to be a lot of sucky football played.  See: Iowa State, Kansas & KSU.

Oh got ya! I was thinking it was something about only playing 8/9 games, but I think they said if bowls happen it's still the win at least 50% threshold.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Oh got ya! I was thinking it was something about only playing 8/9 games, but I think they said if bowls happen it's still the win at least 50% threshold.

And that would make sense, because everyone in the college football universe will be cash-strapped and need the games on TV. But if we have a 2nd wave of Covid between now & the end of the season, I'll bet they cancel a lot of the low-tier bowls.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The last thing I am worried about is whether bowl games are going to be played this year or not.  I think the best we can hope for is to have a CFP played this year, and maybe a handful of other bowl games.

Just now, ScarletRevival said:

I'll be surprised if this season happens at all. They set it up to fail. 

But they can go back to the athletes, coaches,  fans,  donors, etc and say "We did the right thing. We revised the cancelation. We really,  really tried. "

You're welcome to that opinion, but I think it's setup with clear guidelines so unlikely to cancel the season again. But just like is happening with other conferences, there will be games that get cancelled.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

You're welcome to that opinion, but I think it's setup with clear guidelines so unlikely to cancel the season again. But just like is happening with other conferences, there will be games that get cancelled.

If what was reported was accurate:

no built in bye week,  21 day waiting period if a positive test happens,  less than 5% of the team has to have tested negative,  cities in which games or universities are located have to have positivity rates of less that 7%.

It will be extremely difficult to put a season together under those guidelines.

1 minute ago, ScarletRevival said:

If what was reported was accurate:

no built in bye week,  21 day waiting period if a positive test happens,  less than 5% of the team has to have tested negative,  cities in which games or universities are located have to have positivity rates of less that 7%.

It will be extremely difficult to put a season together under those guidelines.

The bold is not a requirement to play. The term "population" refers to the team itself, not to the city or even the campus where the games are played.

• Plus1 1