Next Presidential Debate 10/22

10 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

I mean I guess a Trump who sounds coherent, more reserved, and civil, but lies the whole time is better than a Trump who sounds incoherent, less reserved and uncivil, but lies the whole time.

Then again, that's like saying a turd sandwich sounds better than a slightly bigger turd sandwich. 

If you have to blatantly lie the entire debate, you didn't win the debate. 

I agree but his base does like his lies, so they’ll cast their vote for him even more fervently. They’ll probably double up on their MAGA clothing and put a few more flags in the back of their pickup trucks for the next two weeks.

Isn’t that right @Notre Dame Joe:lol:

• Haha 1

Yeah at the end of the day debates move almost no one's votes but they're fun to kick the tires on for a bit.

It is pretty sad how low a bar so many Americans set for Trump. That man couldn't find his way to the truth if he had a map.

Overall an improvement from the last trainwreck, I guess. Only one guy was up there trying to honestly answer questions. Trump spent all his time attacking Biden and refusing to answer what he was actually asked.

8 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I agree with you and thought there were no home runs but no major errors made outside of the expected lies and exaggerations. Biden did himself no favors with the phasing out the oil industry comment. Expect trump to run an ad wt it in Pa Tx and other oil sensitive states. I don’t think it was trump’s goal To answer every question but to point out that Biden is a lifelong politician who got nothing done. Biden goal was to show he has a plan and to look prepared. I think both accomplished their goals. I think the race will tighten up a bit more

He did plenty of favors. Over 70% of Americans are in favor of the Green New Deal. Sorry but thats just the way it is. And if the US would get off the nuts of a dying industry we can actually make progress and lead the world in renewable energy and make tons of money in trade. But no, people still think oil is viable because the oil industry is in the pockets of the politicians. When you are on the side of 70% of the people you win 100% of the time. 

• Plus1 2

42 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

He did plenty of favors. Over 70% of Americans are in favor of the Green New Deal. Sorry but thats just the way it is. And if the US would get off the nuts of a dying industry we can actually make progress and lead the world in renewable energy and make tons of money in trade. But no, people still think oil is viable because the oil industry is in the pockets of the politicians. When you are on the side of 70% of the people you win 100% of the time. 

Not trying to poke, but can you cite where you get "over 70%"?

I can see if it is qualified as "portions" of the GND, or "of registered Dems",  but I find it hard to believe that figure on the whole. 

Peggy Noonan, not a Trump fan, gives reasons why the debate opened up a chance for Trump to win. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-good-debate-and-its-not-quite-over-11603426466

But there are a few points that contradict the picture. One is the number 56. That is the percentage of registered voters who, asked by Gallup if they are better off than they were four years ago, say yes. (Gallup has asked this regularly in election years since 1984.) Fifty-six percent—in a pandemic, after protests, riots and recession!

It’s only a poll, but after Gallup, a New York Times/Siena poll asked the same question, and 49% said they were better off.

What’s interesting, though, is that when Siena asked respondents if the country was better off than it was four years ago, only 39% said yes.

What does this mean? No one knows. If the polling is more or less correct, you wonder: Will people vote on their own circumstances or what they perceive to be the country’s?

The second data point has to do with Mr. Trump’s rallies—big, boisterous and frequent. He’s been in Michigan and North Carolina and has rallies planned this weekend in Ohio, Wisconsin and New Hampshire. “Gastonia Municipal Airport was packed shoulder to shoulder Wednesday night as tens of thousands of people showed up,” read a local North Carolina news report. Mr. Biden doesn’t seem to draw much of anybody, and doesn’t try. He doesn’t have rallies, and barely even appearances at this point. You can, seeing the polls, hypothesize that what you’re seeing at the Trump rallies is a political movement in its death throes. But I don’t know, they look lively to me. You might say, “The Democrats aren’t having rallies because they are more careful about the virus.” Fair enough, but in a lifetime watching politics, sometimes up close, I have never seen crowds keep away from someone they love. They’ll come whether you want them or not; they’ll find out you’re coming and stand at the side of the road to cheer as the motorcade goes by.

It’s funny not to see any of this from the Democrat this year. You can’t gainsay a strategy that seems to be working; internal Democratic critics are called bedwetters. But it doesn’t feel right. Mr. Biden should be talking every day in a big way to the country he wishes to lead. He shouldn’t be seated in a handsome chair waiting for the crown to be passed, or going out for ice cream in a mask like John Dillinger on the lam.

Maybe after the debate he’ll change

She goes on to say that the "Moderate" Biden would be better off winning with a GOP Senate which would allow him to remain a moderate:

If Mr. Biden is an extremely lucky man he will win the presidency and his party will hold the House and lose the Senate. If the Democrats win all three they’ll be a runaway train fueled by pent-up progressive demand. If the Democrats lose the Senate, Mr. Biden will have a handy excuse for his natural moderation: “You guys may want court packing, reparations and taxes on bovine flatulence but I’ve got to get it past Mitch McConnell.” If the Democrats lose the Senate the Biden presidency will be more moderate, and more popular in a country whose nerves are shot.

A Republican Senate will let Biden be Biden.

She obviously isn't a fan of Sen Harris or at least the way she is campaigning.  Noonan comes across as a bit of a 'stick in the mud' elder that she is.

For her part, vice presidential nominee Kamala Harris is, when on the trail, giddy. She’s dancing with drum lines and beginning rallies with “Wassup, Florida!” She’s throwing her head back and laughing a loud laugh, especially when nobody said anything funny. She’s the younger candidate going for the younger vote, and she’s going for a Happy Warrior vibe, but she’s coming across as insubstantial, frivolous. When she started to dance in the rain onstage, in Jacksonville, Fla., to Mary J. Blige’s “Work That,” it was embarrassing.

Apparently you’re not allowed to say these things because she’s a woman, and she’s doubling down on giddy because you’re not allowed to say them. I, however, take Ms. Blige’s advice to heart: I will not sweat it, I will be myself. Kamala Harris is running for vice president of the United States in an era of heightened and unending crisis. The world, which doubts our strength, our character and our class, is watching. If you can’t imitate gravity, could you at least try for seriousness? I hate the shallowness with which politics is now done, the absolute puerility of it. Do you? We’re on the losing side. The future is an endless loop of Barack Obama on “Between Two Ferns,” stamping on your face, forever.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

I guess. Only one guy was up there trying to honestly answer questions. Trump spent all his time attacking Biden and refusing to answer what he was actually asked.

I agree, Biden was the one trying to give factual answers last night.  I don't think trump had any intentions to answer specific questions- he seemed intent to deflect and then attack - to pin the 'lifelong politician' label on Biden. 

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Peggy Noonan

She's been a conservative journalist her entire career. She wrote speeches for Reagan, worked on both Bush's campaigns, and has routinely predicted GOP winners in elections. 

I'd take what she says with a few grains of salt.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1