Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

8 hours ago, runningblind said:

I believe what you're thinking about is the under center play action, back turned to the defense.  That isn't really a thing when you are in shotgun all the time. You have RPO and the QB can fake a handoff for a keeper but it will never have the same effect if you can't hide the ball with your back turned.

I definitely understand this.

In the shotgun spread it looks more like faking the zone read handoff, or the QB charging a couple steps to the line and then pulling back. Other times it involves a spin & roll out to the opposite side.

• Plus1 1

I see Frost taking quite a bit of heat in other threads for getting too conservative when we were up 24-6. Here's my take on that.

Our base running game (meaning handoffs to running backs) didn't look super great against the first three opponents...but consider the talent those teams have at stopping the run. I think we're going to look like a different team against the next four opponents in that department and it's going to give the fan base a lot to cheer for and look forward to.

And on a different train of thought, I really think we're better than Northwestern and shouldn't have lost that game. Stupid penalties and turnovers were the difference there. I can't wait to watch these next four games and I haven't really said that in a long time.   :koolaid2:

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 4

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He can run very small in that situation.

That's why I get frustrated when people automatically want the biggest back on the team to be the short-yardage back.  Yes, that big back may break that initial tackle, but he may not be able to find the small crease or make himself small in the hole, and get more yards than what the o-line creates.  I always thought Burkhead was an amazing short yardage back, and he was anything but "big".

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's why I get frustrated when people automatically want the biggest back on the team to be the short-yardage back.  Yes, that big back may break that initial tackle, but he may not be able to find the small crease or make himself small in the hole, and get more yards than what the o-line creates.  I always thought Burkhead was an amazing short yardage back, and he was anything but "big".

Burkhead was a strange combination of someone that could run small, but punish a tackler if needed.

• Plus1 3