Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

don't know if anyone mentioned this but if Jurgens is out the offense does look a lot worse.  Farniok is not a very good center.  I'm pretty sure he probably missed a bunch of line calls and he can't block for s#!t.  On more than one occasion he was looking back toward the backfield.  not the direction you want your o-line looking.  He looked like a lost ball in high weeds

I noticed the NW DL shifted right before the snap on a lot of plays, which may have messed up our OL without Jurgens in there to make line calls.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

don't know if anyone mentioned this but if Jurgens is out the offense does look a lot worse.  Farniok is not a very good center.  I'm pretty sure he probably missed a bunch of line calls and he can't block for s#!t.  On more than one occasion he was looking back toward the backfield.  not the direction you want your o-line looking.  He looked like a lost ball in high weeds

I re-watched the game, so much this.  Does anyone have a guess, on whats wrong with Jurgens?  

27 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I noticed the NW DL shifted right before the snap on a lot of plays, which may have messed up our OL without Jurgens in there to make line calls.

Do we not practice for shifts? It’s not like NW invented the shift. 

agree with Jurgens needing to be in there. What’s his prognosis? 

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm sure we practice for it. I also assume the backup center isn't as good as the starter.

Maybe the most important position in the offense. I’d trade one of those big body WR, that we’re not going to use anyway, for a serviceable center that doesn’t get rattled.  Need three of them really. Not a sexy position to talk about when all the recruiting buzz comes around but so important 

What really sucked about Adrian's late 3rd quarter interception was that he kind of had a running lane through the middle, and also it was only 2nd down...and also we were only down by one point.

I'm agnostic as to who the quarterback is going forward and believe Adrian's taking a little too much blame...but man, just keep the drive alive on that play, guy! We were only down by one point...

Frost definitely has to work on redzone play calling because if its not working then he needs to figure it out, but it looks like plays are there he just doesnt have the players to make them. Thats still on him to know his personnel enough to work with what he has but I dont feel like it is far off.  We just dont have a QB with touch that can make the throws we need to in the endzone and they were shooting gaps and destroying the option game we were trying run. Maybe McCaffrey and Martinez have been hitting those in practice so Frost felt confident or maybe he is trying to force plays that he doesnt have the QB to make.

• On the drive with McCaffrey pick we have 2 plays where Vokolek is in position to get a TD. The pick was simply a bad pass that may have been picked off if it didnt hit the lineman. If he puts that pass on the money on the back line we score easy, and the PI is going to be caught if he doesnt get his head ripped off.
  • On the 2nd drive where we had to settle for a fg Vokolek was also in position to score a TD twice. One play was pretty much the same as the one where he got his head ripped off but Martinez threw it out of bounds and gave him no chance. The other was that like double post where Allen ran the underneath route and he just threw it out of the endzone. 
  • The play where Martinez gets picked off trying to hit Allen in the endzone also had him open but it was late and the DB makes a great play to break off and get back to that ball. It looked like a designed pocket move and then throw back like the play that was the dagger in the Minnesota game a couple years ago.  That was probably too close to the goalline to call a play that takes that long unless you think the QB can hit it perfect or you trust Allen to win a jump ball. I feel like that should be a play we call with Betts or Manning and from like the opponent 40 not the 25 or wherever we tried from.  

Frost has really not been the head man that long and he is learning as he goes. He definitely is making mistakes that are costing us right now, but I feel like he has a base that can and I think will work when he figures it out. 

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

What really sucked about Adrian's late 3rd quarter interception was that he kind of had a running lane through the middle, and also it was only 2nd down...and also we were only down by one point.

I'm agnostic as to who the quarterback is going forward and believe Adrian's taking a little too much blame...but man, just keep the drive alive on that play, guy! We were only down by one point...

Know what really sucks about that int? It was catchable by Allen. Throw was right on target and an SEC receiver makes that. I do know that Allen is a TE but that should make him extra physical in getting that ball.  With his big frame and long arms if goes and gets it rather than wait for it, it’s a TD. 

It’s ok, he makes enough good catches to look past that one. 

Just now, krc1995 said:

Know what really sucks about that int? It was catchable by Allen. Throw was right on target and an SEC receiver makes that. I do know that Allen is a TE but that should make him extra physical in getting that ball.  With his big frame and long arms if goes and gets it rather than wait for it, it’s a TD. 

and Luke’s int was on 2nd down too 

37 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Yeah, it was not a good decision to throw that ball. But it had enough air under it that a 6'8 tight end can't let a 6'1 DB get to it - Allen didn't high point it.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I'm sure we practice for it. I also assume the backup center isn't as good as the starter.

The thing that got me is we didn't even use the backup center we moved Matt over instead of Will so I'm guessing Will is actually down the line a bit. I know that Matt is supposed to know every position, but not practicing that position everyday makes it harder to make the calls. We really need a two deep on the OL that doesn't necessitate shifting guys from their position.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The thing that got me is we didn't even use the backup center we moved Matt over instead of Will so I'm guessing Will is actually down the line a bit. I know that Matt is supposed to know every position, but not practicing that position everyday makes it harder to make the calls. We really need a two deep on the OL that doesn't necessitate shifting guys from their position.

The OL talent was decimated before Frost got here, and filling up the talent and experience on the OL takes a long time. I don't think there's an easy fix.

• Plus1 1

Don't know if anyone else noticed on almost all the 3rd downs except for in the 4th quarter they put in all the white WR's?  I get they are probably the possession guys but on 3rd and 10+ you need some guys that could actually get past the sticks and be open.  The defense plays tighter especially because they know they can which in turn makes it more difficult to convert.  I don't need to see any of the the TE's on the field for 3rd and 14. 

• Haha 1