Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

29 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm just going to be honest: I'm a little afraid that we're headed back into a "non-Junior year Taylor Martinez" era. And I'd probably be saying that regardless of whether it was Martinez or McCaffrey leading the offense.

What I mean here is a thing where defenses know you really just have a single-threat QB, not a true dual-thread guy. A guy that's only really a threat when he runs. Defenses play a stacked box strategy in that situation (hello Northwestern and even Penn State) and that makes running your base rushing plays with your RB difficult.

Luke will have to greatly develop as a passer if this offensive system is going to be great with him at the helm. He has a long way to go.

That said, this win felt really awesome regardless of any other factors involved.

You may be right.. Sickens me we have a QB room full of 4star QB prospects and yet none that we trust to throw a down field pass.

• Plus1 2

54 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

You may be right.. Sickens me we have a QB room full of 4star QB prospects and yet none that we trust to throw a down field pass.

I mean some of that has to be the WRs and OL right? If we've somehow failed to develop a down field passer between AM and LM we've gotta rethink our QB development. 

8 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I mean some of that has to be the WRs and OL right? If we've somehow failed to develop a down field passer between AM and LM we've gotta rethink our QB development. 

Maybe.. I'm going on almost 2 decades of watching horrible QB play here so maybe it's just par for the course?

49 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

AM didn't have much trouble finding Stanley Morgan downfield...

• Plus1 6

16 minutes ago, Toe said:

AM didn't have much trouble finding Stanley Morgan downfield...

This is a good point.

I don't entirely know what to think about our offensive situation right now. Ask 10 people and you might get 10 different answers.

I think Luke is most dangerous when you roll him out on the run. I seem to remember that also working well with McKenzie Milton for UCF. I really like that Frost has the guts to try something different and see if it sticks - he's undoubtedly in the process of doing just that now and you have to appreciate that.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, floridacorn said:

I'm a bit baffled by the absence of play action passing in this offense.  It's a natural aspect of this offense anyway, but you're a run first & second team w/a limited passer.  The drop back, quick passing game isn't a natural compliment to what NU is running, or who they have to run it.  

Yeah. Did you happen to see Wisconsin's first half against Michigan tonight? I'm not sure there's currently a better example of a team in college football that leverages play action - it's kind of unreal.

You think they're going to just smash up the middle in a tight set, their QB fakes, drops back, and then there's a couple guys absolutely wide open.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Undone said:

I'm just going to be honest: I'm a little afraid that we're headed back into a "non-Junior year Taylor Martinez" era. And I'd probably be saying that regardless of whether it was Martinez or McCaffrey leading the offense.

What I mean here is a thing where defenses know you really just have a single-threat QB, not a true dual-thread guy. A guy that's only really a threat when he runs. Defenses play a stacked box strategy in that situation (hello Northwestern and even Penn State) and that makes running your base rushing plays with your RB difficult.

Luke will have to greatly develop as a passer if this offensive system is going to be great with him at the helm. He has a long way to go.

That said, this win felt really awesome regardless of any other factors involved.

I thought we’d see a huge difference with Luke.  If I’m really being honest with myself I didn’t think there was a significant difference from AM.  I’d still prefer to go with Luke.

Frost has been successful with QBs that have arm talent and can run.  Arm talent first.  We just don’t have it in either of these guys.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Are you saying Betts ain’t it? 

Chicken or the egg? 

maybe both are bad. 

I'm saying Kanawai Noa wasn't it last year. :P

I'm kinda reserving judgement on the new guys, other than to say it's really frustrating, especially the situation with Manning.

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Yeah. Did you happen to see Wisconsin's first half against Michigan tonight? I'm not sure there's currently a better example of a team in college football that leverages play action - it's kind of unreal.

You think they're going to just smash up the middle in a tight set, their QB fakes, drops back, and then there's a couple guys absolutely wide open.

I believe what you're thinking about is the under center play action, back turned to the defense.  That isn't really a thing when you are in shotgun all the time. You have RPO and the QB can fake a handoff for a keeper but it will never have the same effect if you can't hide the ball with your back turned.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Exactly.  Wisky has intelligently stolen a lot from this new wave of power football in the NFL lead by McVey, Shanahan, LaFleur, & Stefanski.  In fact, even in saying that, I wonder if there hasn't been some New Orleans/LSU style coaches meetings as Wisky mixes in a fair amount of spread, & run a ton of mesh concepts in pure passing situations, all very similar to how LaFleur runs his offense.  

One play in particular today where McCaffery had a ball tipped by the LB trying to hit a WR on a deep over.  Pretty sure that came on 1st down and if it comes off play action, that LB is completely out of the play.  That concept is an Oregon spread staple & it's puzzling to me why they  wouldn't run that off play action, particularly in that situation.  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I believe what you're thinking about is the under center play action, back turned to the defense.  That isn't really a thing when you are in shotgun all the time. You have RPO and the QB can fake a handoff for a keeper but it will never have the same effect if you can't hide the ball with your back turned.

It for sure has a different effect, but still freezes 2nd level defenders, & S's.  When run from the pistol, very similar imo.