Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

1 hour ago, Undone said:

What really sucked about Adrian's late 3rd quarter interception was that he kind of had a running lane through the middle, and also it was only 2nd down...and also we were only down by one point.

I'm agnostic as to who the quarterback is going forward and believe Adrian's taking a little too much blame...but man, just keep the drive alive on that play, guy! We were only down by one point...

He was also the only reason we made it down that far with his feet. Made a couple really nice runs. Obviously the drive was ruined by an interception. Not a good throw. Allen needs to be better. He is 6'8 and let the safety make the play. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I think people are focusing WAY WAY too much on red zone.

They don’t even get to the red zone consistently.  When they do it’s because of a fluke play (break down) or penalties on the opposing team.

The red zone looks the same as 1st and 15 at your own 20 from what I can tell.

We had 6 red zone chances and got 13 points - how is that not the biggest issue? A red zone trip should be a guaranteed 3 points and more often than not 7, and we averaged just over 2 points per trip. 6 red zone trips should be 30+ points. All we needed was the one TD after the turnover and at least a field goal on all the rest to win. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Just my opinion.....

Although I'm impressed that Coach Frost more often points the thumb back at himself (and means it), than pointing the finger at others, I'm increasingly concerned about his diagnosis of what is actually wrong (and what he needs to get fixed).

It appears that over the last several seasons he has been absolutely intransigent in his formations, his personnel and his play preferences....regardless of outcomes that repeat themselves over and over again.  So whereas we on the outside say "Hey, it's first and goal at the two.  How about going i-Formation for 4 straight plays and see what happens?"  He always sees each set of downs as a new opportunity to show his preferred formation and playcalling will actually work, if his players just get enough reps.

We've beaten to death his WR screen passes, East-West Run Game, lack of a Full Back on short yardage, etc., but I have another one to add:  I really wonder whether all the OL False Starts we get are because the kids don't actually believe they can execute the block that is being asked of them.....so anxious, they jump.  I really think that's something that Austin needs to have a "Come to Jesus" meeting about, because that means that structurally Coach Frost has installed an offense his own players don't believe they can execute, and that is a serious problem.

If my assessment above is correct, I really hope he figures it out and changes course.  Otherwise he's going to drive the program he loves into a place where it may be unable to recover.  You can't keep coming out looking like Elmer Fudd, and expect to be able to recruit the difference-makers you need to be compete at the highest levels. 

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

We had 6 red zone chances and got 13 points - how is that not the biggest issue? A red zone trip should be a guaranteed 3 points and more often than not 7, and we averaged just over 2 points per trip. 6 red zone trips should be 30+ points. All we needed was the one TD after the turnover and at least a field goal on all the rest to win. 

It's a fair callout.  I just see it differently.  When they need to make a play, they can't.  It doesn't matter if it's 3rd and 8 at the 35 or 2nd and goal at the 5.  You can't build an offense around a QB scramble.  The reason he's scrambling is because something else didn't work.

There are guys that need to make plays and they flat out don't.  I will hold to fact that I believe they are one player away from winning games.  The offence PERFORMS terrible across the board and they are in position to win.  They are not that far away.

Frost real challenge is making the hard decision with young men he's mentoring, not what play to call.

4 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Yes- we didn’t need more trips to the red zone. we needed more points. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

They clearly want Vokolek to help in the passing game, we've taken more deep shots and fades to him than any receivers. But I just haven't seen anything so far the separates him from Allen/Stoll for me. Fidone and Carnie both give us more options, but feels like it's going to be a tough adjustment blocking wise.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

These should be defensive formations where the quick swing passes to the flats to your slot receiver start to spread a defense out and keep them honest.

We've only played two games so far so the sample size is small, but I wonder if Lubick doesn't like that play as much and has talked Scotty out of it? We did see it against OSU and there was actually some success there.

25 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Bull, no respect for the QB.  We've been watching this for years.  This was how you stopped Tommy and Taylor.

We will see this for the rest of the year until whoever is playing QB can make a play that will loosen up the D.  

Eh, I don't know that's really the case.  I think it's more receivers plus formation.  QB has some to do with it but it's third. 

This play is more formation, imo.  We have 9 guys in the "box" so they do as well.  They don't have to play a safety deep because they think their corners can hold up one-on-one.  They weren't playing that tight against other formations.

Also, that's a lot of the reason we had a terrible time running the ball under Riley.  Many were pretty excited that we were bringing back fullbacks and tight ends.  But all it does when you bunch the offensive formation is bring more defenders into the box and that's more bodies to clog things up.  That's why most teams have gone to spread formations.  

We didn't have nearly the trouble throwing deep when we had Kenny Bell and Stanley Morgan to throw to.  We didn't have any of those guys last year.  I think we do have some guys with that potential but are still getting worked into the mix.

For all the crap Martinez got about his interception, that's exactly the type of play that guys like Joe Burrow and Ian Book make a killing off of - throw it up to your big receiver and let them make the play.  We don't have receivers like they do but you would hope your 6-8 guy would make a better play on the ball than Allen did.  I don't think Martinez saw the guy who picked it dropping from the front side, he only saw the guys trailing Allen.  But if Allen even jumps up to the ball instead of almost falling out the back of the end zone the worst thing that probably happens is it falls incomplete.  He didn't get anywhere near it.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

I'm a bit baffled by the absence of play action passing in this offense.  It's a natural aspect of this offense anyway, but you're a run first & second team w/a limited passer.  The drop back, quick passing game isn't a natural compliment to what NU is running, or who they have to run it.  

The offense had moments, but is far from in sync, but but we saw a little more juice in there today w/McCaffery, Robinson at RB, Betts on the Jet, even Scott.  Hopefully, Frost & Co. continue to integrate the athletes into the offense, & we start to see more explosive plays. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, floridacorn said:

I'm a bit baffled by the absence of play action passing in this offense.  It's a natural aspect of this offense anyway, but you're a run first & second team w/a limited passer.  The drop back, quick passing game isn't a natural compliment to what NU is running, or who they have to run it. 

Yeah, that's one thing that's really stood out to me. Like does executing a play action pass really require any more skill from anyone than the stuff we've been running?

The running game is still pretty simplistic, too. Is Austin still trying to figure out how to teach Riley's guys to execute a pull? This offense looks nothing like Frost's offense at UCF.

I'm just going to be honest: I'm a little afraid that we're headed back into a "non-Junior year Taylor Martinez" era. And I'd probably be saying that regardless of whether it was Martinez or McCaffrey leading the offense.

What I mean here is a thing where defenses know you really just have a single-threat QB, not a true dual-thread guy. A guy that's only really a threat when he runs. Defenses play a stacked box strategy in that situation (hello Northwestern and even Penn State) and that makes running your base rushing plays with your RB difficult.

Luke will have to greatly develop as a passer if this offensive system is going to be great with him at the helm. He has a long way to go.

That said, this win felt really awesome regardless of any other factors involved.

• Plus1 3