Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

@ColoradoHusk

If you recorded the game, go back and rewatch.  I'm pretty certain it was start of 2nd half where they kept panning between Lubick and Frost.  If you rewatch that segment and you don't think Lubick was calling the plays (and Frost was monitoring the plays), you let me know. I think I wrote two or three posts in the game thread as it was happening as it appeared so obvious.

For the record, to me that's not a slight against Frost at all. On the contrary, if he has handed off play calling to Lubick, I think that shows he's growing as a coach by being confident enough to give up the OC role to be more of a CEO.

Nice blocking, but as of The second half of PSU most teams seem to rush to contain our QBs and negate any scramble. This is another change McCaffery didn’t handle well especially since he is more limited in reading the defense and accurately hitting receivers. Iowa seemed pretty hell bent on keeping AM in the pocket and he responded pretty well, but still got happy feet early sometimes. Purdue seemed to have the same idea for most of the game and AM did better about trusting the oline and waiting for receivers to open up. The second piece is that Purdue doesn’t have the same talent up front as Iowa. After there good DT got hurt, the strategy had no hope. 

When Purdue let loose and brought 5 and 6 late, AM responded well hitting crossing routes and even a couple of deep balls.

• Plus1 2

Click play on the embedded video and it'll start at the right time.

We were talking about the quick edge passes that are so much better called & more importantly executed this season over last, and here's one of them.

Just a simple 4 yard pick up & 1st down conversion and not a huge play - but it's all in the details. The fake to Mills with him going left to right. Then Martinez does another thing he hasn't been great at which is looking guys off; he stares down Allen which pulls guys away from Vokolek.

Plays like this have worked well all season, really. Waaaaay better execution on blocking and also Martinez's touch on the ball.

• Plus1 2

We'll just keep it going here.   :thumbs   Very next play from the one above:

Martinez just has so much confidence IMO when he's rolling out - doesn't matter whether it's with or across his body.

I'm so glad Wan'Dale is continuing his progression. He is so sneaky at getting open and finding space. Good throw by Adrian.

And then the next play:

People can talk about wanting the I-Formation back, running the option, or just "running the damn ball," but I'll take plays like these all day long. Great coaching seen on this drive, and Martinez really got the touch back on his short game this season.

With good pass blocking and Martinez with some confidence early in a game I think our offense can be the best in the West. But, the pass blocking is easier said than done.

• Plus1 3

Here's another good swing pass:

Didn't pick up the first down. But, awesome block by Falck on the far left edge (which we rarely had last year) and again Martinez buys just a little time with a quick look to the double tight ends to create a bit of space for Wan'Dale to burst through without their right side OLB sniffing it out in the flat right away.

Just way better execution on these plays this year over last year. Not sure who on the coaching staff gets the most credit for that but it's great to see.

• Plus1 1