Offensive Play Discussion - 2020

Undone

@Undone Yeah, I think we are dancing around the same mindset/prescription. I was pretty harsh on AM's first two games, but he did seem to be looking downfield, but unwilling to uncork it. Something has to be designed/mentality change to take the read portion out of it. If you don't actually release the ball, the defense isn't as concerned about it. Draw up something that takes the choice away, but allows the play to boil down to the QB, the WR, and the CB/Safety. Limit the downside, but don't let the QB have a choice to not let it go. 

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've always viewed these plays as doing the same thing our old option plays did in the 80s and 90s.  Try to get the ball quickly to the outside and make the defense defend from side line to side line.  

If we run one on 1st down and it only goes for 6-8 yards, it accomplished something good.  Sometimes they are broken for big gains.

Agreed. I have to really give Frost & Lubick credit for getting the team to execute those plays better this season.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Yeah, and they don't have to go for 10 - 15 yards to be a success. I think they're kind of a "run replacement" play in the modern spread offense.

Ideally they loosen up the defense and then you come back with the inside handoffs - but because our interior line is struggling right now, that element isn't there.

:yeah

5 hours ago, Undone said:

Oh, great points and I totally agree that they don't fall under the category of a 'run play' whatsoever. 

Although I can't know for sure whether Frost views it this way exactly, I do think the benefit of the swing pass is to spread the defense out - which is of course the style of play this offense is designed for.

That principle is basically the earliest roots of the West Coast Offense: if you don't have the kind of vertical passing game that you'd like, then go with horizontal passes to spread the defense out.

Of course, ideally you'd have both a vertical and horizontal attack...

• Thanks 1

I've always been "pass the damn ball guy" with a spread offense and a little I-form power running when need be.  Especially short yardage (2-4 yards) and inside the 20.  But no problem throwing it vertical 35x a game.  And I don't believe you have to be in shotgun 90-100% of the time.  70% would be ideal.

Hey @Toe do you like the WCO? I think it's more NFL style, game management and needing lots of returning players around to understand it.  Not quite the best college offense IMO.  Just curious on your opinion.

@admo TBH, I think it's one of those terms that's kinda lost its relevance/usefulness as a descriptor. Every modern NFL team incorporates some principles of it, but I don't know if any of them really run a 'pure' WCO. (Similarly, I think people get way too hung up on 3-4 vs 4-3 labels that aren't really even all that meaningful of a description of modern defenses.)

• Plus1 2

Frost called a great game today. The shift, set, and execution of that touchdown pass to Liewer to me is the epitome of what this offense is all about. 

We have figured out how to get the ball to Wan'Dale in space and it makes a huge difference. That kid plays at 100 MPH every play and just has the will to move the ball downfield.

Adrian's TD run in the first quarter made Husker Nation proud - never give up and do whatever it takes to make a play.

I also think Austin Allen is perhaps the most underrated player on the entire roster.

• Plus1 5

@Undone

The shift, set, and execution of that touchdown pass to Liewer to me is the epitome of what this offense is all about. 

Every now and then, this offense actually kinda looks like Frost's offense. Hopefully we see more of it in the future.

@lo country Yep, Liewer is a walk-on from O'Neill, Nebraska. :Runza2:

• Plus1 2