Biden's America

37 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Well the answer is the bill this was stuffed into.   

It’s a byproduct of having everything thrown into one bill and then when one side doesn’t vote for it, the other side picks out small pieces and says “see they don’t support blah blah blah blah”.  If Congress would actually work and submit smaller bills this may not be the case.

who knows if more R’s would support the Medicare drug bill (probably not) if it was standalone but that’s your main answer.  

I get the frustration about bills being too comprehensive.  It's all too common and it does muddy the waters.

The big bill excuse is being used a lot about the Inflation Reduction Act.  But every time good news comes out and it is pointed out that no R's voted for it, the excuse is because of the bad things in the bill.  Well, what "bad thing" is in the bill that outweighs the positive things?  I don't know if I've ever heard a Republican or supporter point it out.  It's just complaining about the size of the bill and how they had to vote no because of all the bad things.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The big bill excuse is being used a lot about the Inflation Reduction Act.  But every time good news comes out and it is pointed out that no R's voted for it, the excuse is because of the bad things in the bill.  Well, what "bad thing" is in the bill that outweighs the positive things?  I don't know if I've ever heard a Republican or supporter point it out.  It's just complaining about the size of the bill and how they had to vote no because of all the bad things.

That’s a good question to ask, and the politicians should explain what they would have voted for in that bill and what specifically made them vote no.   That way the public knows.  

I also said many republicans probably would have voted no on a stand alone Medicare/drug bill based on many just voting no on anything proposed by a Democrat.   Just as Democrats do when the reverse is in order.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s a byproduct of having everything thrown into one bill and then when one side doesn’t vote for it, the other side picks out small pieces and says “see they don’t support blah blah blah blah”.  If Congress would actually work and submit smaller bills this may not be the case.

who knows if more R’s would support the Medicare drug bill (probably not) if it was standalone but that’s your main answer.  

So this post is just an admission that republicans are too lazy to defend their positions?  And you don't really know what they want and don't want? And you appreciate that in a lot of these politicians?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I would agree that they usually combine too many unrelated things in bills and then cherry pick why they did or didn’t vote for it. It’s frustrating. 

But what specifically was in this bill that Republicans just couldn’t support? Serious question as I don’t know. Without specifics it just sort of seems like a blanket excuse.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
36 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

But what specifically was in this bill that Republicans just couldn’t support? Serious question as I don’t know. Without specifics it just sort of seems like a blanket excuse.

That may differ depending on which Republican you are referring to.  Romney may have a different issue than Paul or Moran or Lee etc…..pretty easy to find out though.   Just google which Senator you want and what their thoughts on the bill was.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m sorry what!?!?

You appear to be okay with the Republican reason for voting no.  You also openly admit that they haven't stated why they said no specifically and that you don't know how they would vote if the drug negotiation was a single bill issue.  You also seem to support the republican policy choices.

I stated these as questions to actually clarify if I am wrong on any of these assumptions.  If I am, I'm open to hearing why.  To have a discussion about policy and not to just say other side is bad.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

You also openly admit that they haven't stated why they said no specifically

Where?   What I actually said was it’s a good question to ask.   Pick a politician, google inflation reduction action plus politicians name and you may get your answer.   Many Senators are on record about why they don’t like the bill.   But I have no idea if EVERY politician is and it’s a good question to ask……So NO, I haven’t openly admitted that, you just wrongly interpreted it.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

You appear to be okay with the Republican reason for voting no.  You also openly admit that they haven't stated why they said no specifically and that you don't know how they would vote if the drug negotiation was a single bill issue.  You also seem to support the republican policy choices.

I stated these as questions to actually clarify if I am wrong on any of these assumptions.  If I am, I'm open to hearing why.  To have a discussion about policy and not to just say other side is bad.

It's worth noting that Republican opposition is why private insulin price caps were stripped from the IRA.

Republicans could've voted for that provision to be included in the IRA but vote against the IRA overall, effectively endorsing a policy that benefits thousands of Americans while simultaneously opposing a bill by the opposition party.

They chose not to do that.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

you don't know how they would vote if the drug negotiation was a single bill issue

Correct 

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

You also seem to support the republican policy choices.

Many, but not all. 

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I stated these as questions to actually clarify if I am wrong on any of these assumptions. 

When you start your question with So….generally someone is more making a statement with a question mark at the end vs asking a question you don’t no the answer to.  

Your second and last “questions”

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

And you don't really know what they want and don't want? And you appreciate that in a lot of these politicians?

Seem like just a statement you wanted to make with a question mark at the end. The third “question” has an inferred answer imbedded in the question so it’s impossible to “answer”.  I never said what I appreciate because I never had a chance to respond to the “statement” if refers to.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

It's worth noting that Republican opposition is why private insulin price caps were stripped from the IRA.

Republicans could've voted for that provision to be included in the IRA but vote against the IRA overall, effectively endorsing a policy that benefits thousands of Americans while simultaneously opposing a bill by the opposition party.

They chose not to do that.

From your link….

"Lying Dems and their friends in corporate media are at it again, distorting a Democrat 'gotcha' vote. In reality, the Dems wanted to break Senate rules to pass insulin pricing cap instead of going through regular order," Wisconsin Republican Ron Johnson tweetedafterward, noting that he previously "voted for an amendment, that Dems blocked, to provide insulin at cost to low-income Americans."

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

From your link….

"Lying Dems and their friends in corporate media are at it again, distorting a Democrat 'gotcha' vote. In reality, the Dems wanted to break Senate rules to pass insulin pricing cap instead of going through regular order," Wisconsin Republican Ron Johnson tweetedafterward, noting that he previously "voted for an amendment, that Dems blocked, to provide insulin at cost to low-income Americans."

In this particular case, nothing was stopping Republicans from instituting a price cap outside of breaking Senate "decorum". 

If they wanted to cap insulin prices, they couldve done it then and there. They also could've voted against the IRA to take a stand against the overall legislation at the same time. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Where?   What I actually said was it’s a good question to ask.   Pick a politician, google inflation reduction action plus politicians name and you may get your answer.   Many Senators are on record about why they don’t like the bill.   But I have no idea if EVERY politician is and it’s a good question to ask……So NO, I haven’t openly admitted that, you just wrongly interpreted it.  

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Here.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Here.

But it doesn’t.  That quote does not allude to or say what you claim below.

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

You also openly admit that they haven't stated why they said no specifically

As I told JJ….you could easily google each politician and IRA to usually find out their objections.   What it may not say is things they liked about the bill.   You quoted me saying that “the other side” will say see they voted against blah blah blah…..I never said they admit they haven’t stated why they vote no.   And an  earlier response to you said politicians SHOULD state what they liked or disliked.  It did not state they haven’t.  

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1