Trump's Post Election Fallout: Legal & Obstruction actions

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I'm not on Twitter, so maybe there is an obvious reason I don't know about.

It's easy to come across a lot of random crap on Twitter, including stuff you wouldn't expect to see or stuff that you wouldn't normally be interested in. Twitter often provides suggested content based off of people you follow or things you engage with. It also regularly shows Tweets in your feed that your followers may have "liked" or commented on.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Enhance said:

It's easy to come across a lot of random crap on Twitter, including stuff you wouldn't expect to see or stuff that you wouldn't normally be interested in. Twitter often provides suggested content based off of people you follow or things you engage with. It also regularly shows Tweets in your feed that your followers may have "liked" or commented on.

Gotcha.  So this lady is just some random woman?  If so, I guess I don't see why anyone is shocked that gross people are walking the earth...

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I always find it odd when people on twitter celebrate a death of someone who hasn’t committed monstrous acts of violence against others.  They seem to have mental issues that would be worth examining. 

I guess I don't see where she was celebrating it? She was noting the passing of a doctor that (to many of us) came across as a quack MD and definitely someone who appeared to have whitewashed the truth about Trump's physical condition. 

9 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Gotcha.  So this lady is just some random woman?  If so, I guess I don't see why anyone is shocked that gross people are walking the earth...

Perhaps not necessarily "random." The blue checkmark next to her name means she's been Verified by Twitter, which is just Twitter's fancy way of saying that an account of public interest is legitimate/official. Reporters, athletes, actors, famous people, public commentators, etc., are eligible to get verified. There are requirements and processes for it, though, so it's not available to the vast majority of people.

This particular woman has more than 350,000 followers but I haven't gone through her timeline to figure out who she is or why people care lol.

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Good explanation.

My Twitter experience would not be nearly as interesting if it were not for the algorithms that you describe. Without that, I would basically see only the limited tweets of those I choose to "follow."  

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

this is where lots of my feed comes from 

That's why one of my work computer screens has Tweetdeck up and running all day - the first column is dedicated to only showing original/retweeted content by the people I follow. I have another column dedicated to showing activity that my followers do, but I rarely look at it.

Helps a ton since one of the people I follow on Twitter is a friend of mine who is super into bodybuilding. A lot of the stuff he "likes" is roided up bodybuilders in banana hammocks. Mobile Twitter shows me his likes CONSTANTLY. Tweetdeck, mercifully, does not.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Good explanation.

My Twitter experience would not be nearly as interesting if it were not for the algorithms that you describe. Without that, I would basically see only the limited tweets of those I choose to "follow."  

All the more reason for me to stay away from it then.  I've thought about joining just to follow specific people: journalists, athletes, coaches, coworkers, etc.  But if you are subjected to a bunch of other trash, no thanks...

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the conversation, but it seems like if Facebook were to fill your timeline with comments/posts from people that you don't know.  Sounds like a good way to get people worked up in a tizzy for things they normally wouldn't even know about.  Explains a lot about our current society.

Just now, funhusker said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the conversation, but it seems like if Facebook were to fill your timeline with comments/posts from people that you don't know.  Sounds like a good way to get people worked up in a tizzy for things they normally wouldn't even know about.  Explains a lot about our current society.

Facebook does it too but in a different way. It just shows a lot of the garbage that your followers like to share, but you'll get hit with ads and promoted items a lot, too.

See my note above about Tweetdeck, though, if you're interested. It's my preferred way of utilizing Twitter. Cuts out a lot of nonsense. Tweetdeck makes Twitter more like an RSS feed than a social app IMO.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I guess I don't see where she was celebrating it? She was noting the passing of a doctor that (to many of us) came across as a quack MD and definitely someone who appeared to have whitewashed the truth about Trump's physical condition. 

The comments were no bueno.  

• Plus1 1