What is the future of the Republican Party?

16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s not a Court matter at that point.  However, if prosecutors decide to retry the case, are you on record as saying that defendant DOES NOT have presumption of innocence the second time around?  

Agreed with bolded.

As to your question, a presumption of innocence is the legal right of the accused in a criminal trial, whether it's the first time or the 10th. That's the legal standard so that's also my standard, full stop.

But, should someone be acquitted or perhaps pardoned for a crime, a presumption of innocence is no longer relevant because it is no longer a court matter. "Innocence" would be in the eye of the beholder.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I, ever so slightly, respect her for this statement because she is taking ownership claiming she made a mistake to follow him. But, it’s going to be hard to get the Trump stink off.  

he let us down =  he didn't take the insurrection far enough?

2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

It's still baffling why Republicans have hitched their wagons to the reverse Midas Touch guy.  Maybe Sasse is figuring this into his calculations when goes against Trumpism.  Or does he actually have a moral compass?

I think Sasse is pretty safe. But I don't understand why other safe senators wouldn't vote to impeach unless they truly don't think he should be impeached.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think Sasse is pretty safe. But I don't understand why other safe senators wouldn't vote to impeach unless they truly don't think he should be impeached.

Party politics. I truly believe even a Democratic president would've avoided conviction if roles were reversed.

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Party politics. I truly believe even a Democratic president would've avoided conviction if roles were reversed.

I don't think that takes much stretch of the imagination. Even if the trump impeachments had not happened, Democrats wouldn't convict Biden if he was caught doing something to violate his oath.

• Plus1 1