What is the future of the Republican Party?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I disagree with the bolded.  He still carries extreme influence on leadership of the party.  Otherwise, they wouldn't constantly proclaim devotion to him.  Leadership still is in contact with him on major issues and, by all indications, they don't do anything without his approval.  

So....yes.....he would still have influence even if the media never mentioned his name.  

I think the media DID curtail coverage of Trump. Hugely. More significantly, having lost his social media access, Trump lost his own microphone. When he decides to show up for a speech at someplace like CPAC, or hold a rally to test his popularity, it's covered, but less obsessively.

But I think there's been a significant uptick in the last month as the focus shifts to the midterms and way-to-early 2024 chatter, and it becomes clear that Donald Trump is the single biggest influence in either party.  Trump likes it that way. His loyalists have been out in full force. Donald Trump most definitely isn't going away. The GOP has difficult decisions to make. 

The media didn't invent any of this. 

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Look up. 

Literally nobody gaf what Trump said about windmills in 2020. Social media and lefty media keep dredging it up. The insurrection on Jan 6 is still current and meaningful. Anything else is just more flotsam. But...posts like that, and CNN, can't seem to let it go...because it stirs the pot. The dude has been out of office for almost 8 months...and is a septuagenarian has been living at a golf resort in Florida...evidently sans wife.  Let him fade away.

If by "lefty media" you mean a single poster named Acyn on Twitter, sure. I guess. 

If you think Donald Trump would be happy to fade away if it wasn't for this pesky liberal media, you haven't been paying attention. 

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If by "lefty media" you mean a single poster named Acyn on Twitter, sure. I guess. 

If you think Donald Trump would be happy to fade away if it wasn't for this pesky liberal media, you haven't been paying attention. 

@Scarletposted that link to the single poster 

Look up. 

Literally nobody gaf what Trump said about windmills in 2020. Social media and lefty media keep dredging it up. The insurrection on Jan 6 is still current and meaningful. Anything else is just more flotsam. But...posts like that, and CNN, can't seem to let it go...because it stirs the pot. The dude has been out of office for almost 8 months...and is a septuagenarian has been living at a golf resort in Florida...evidently sans wife.  Let him fade away.

The interview was on... wait for it..... Fox News.

As long as this menace to society is still a threat to our democracy as he has been proven to be over and over again, and as long as he is the Party's leader and favorite to be the presidential nominee in 2024, I'll drag his sorry a$$ as much as possible.  That includes any other Trumpist.  Until their fascist, racist ideology is dead and gone they're fair game.  Handling them with kid gloves is the akin to appeasing their ideology.  If you feel bad for the guy and want to hide his idiocy, I don't know what to tell you.  

23 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

The interview was on... wait for it..... Fox News.

As long as this menace to society is still a threat to our democracy as he has been proven to be over and over again, and as long as he is the Party's leader and favorite to be the presidential nominee in 2024, I'll drag his sorry a$$ as much as possible.  That includes any other Trumpist.  Until their fascist, racist ideology is dead and gone they're fair game.  Handling them with kid gloves is the akin to appeasing their ideology.  If you feel bad for the guy and want to hide his idiocy, I don't know what to tell you.  

A fox News clip from 2020.

As to the bold, if you think that's me, then you really don't follow things as closely as you claim.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Most likely to change the subject from some of the storylines of Biden’s not so good weeks and get the heat off of him. 

Most of the news coverage I've seen has involved Trump reemerging in public --- coverage Trump craves, but is also fairly relevant as it's in stark contrast to the behavior of previous ex-Presidents. 

Most of the opinion and speculation revolves around Trump maintaining an active role in supporting GOP candidates -- but endorsing only those most openly loyal to him. It acknowledges Trump's still formidable support among the electorate, and is highly relevant to both political parties. 

Joe Biden remains President of the United States and gets the vast majority of coverage.

It's not like he stumbles over a word and it turns into an entire news cycle, unless you watch Fox. 

• Plus1 2

Remember Paul Ryan? George Will shares Ryan's relevant opinions on this topic. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/06/09/reaganite-optimist-paul-ryan-future-republican-party/

Not since Grover Cleveland, who lost as an incumbent in 1888 but won again in 1892, has a defeated president sought a second term. Many Republicans who disdain Ryan’s Reaganite optimism hope that if their hero cannot reprise 1892 in 2024, at least a second-rate imitator can succeed. In either case, they will learn what a real “curse to the Republican Party” looks like.

• Plus1 2

40 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's not like he stumbles over a word and it turns into an entire news cycle, unless you watch Fox. 

I don’t much at all.  Really don’t watch much TV anymore.  Listen to all three cable channels from time to time in between Stern shows.  

• Plus1 1
On 6/16/2021 at 6:47 AM, ZRod said:

Why does she even get attention?

IMO there are two solutions to this, both that present problems:

1) Place the expectation on news organizations to not cover her nonsense; but, she is an elected official, and as evidenced on this board and social media, she drives a lot of engagement. Engagement is money.

2) Place the expectation on consumers to stop reading and engaging with things that have to do with her. Practice self control. If people stop reading/caring about this stuff, the less it'll get covered. This Fire Fauci thing is just that. It has no chance of going anywhere useful. It's a ridiculous waste of time and showmanship and that's exactly why she's doing it.

32 minutes ago, Enhance said:

IMO there are two solutions to this, both that present problems:

1) Place the expectation on news organizations to not cover her nonsense; but, she is an elected official, and as evidenced on this board and social media, she drives a lot of engagement. Engagement is money.

2) Place the expectation on consumers to stop reading and engaging with things that have to do with her. Practice self control. If people stop reading/caring about this stuff, the less it'll get covered. This Fire Fauci thing is just that. It has no chance of going anywhere useful. It's a ridiculous waste of time and showmanship and that's exactly why she's doing it.

OK, you work in the media world.  So, when she calls a press conference to announce her bill to fire Fauci, what is a reporter assigned to capital hill supposed to do?  I think they have three options:

a). Don't go.

b). Go, report it briefly but spend a lot more time on something else.

c). Report it as though it's the most important thing that ever happened that day.

I personally think a responsible reporter would do B and I think that's what the vast majority of them do.

A fox News clip from 2020.

As to the bold, if you think that's me, then you really don't follow things as closely as you claim.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/energy/558919-trumps-angry-words-about-saving-birds-from-windmills%3famp

The interview when he ranted about windmills killing everything was yesterday on Hannity which is what I posted.

• Plus1 1