What is the future of the Republican Party?

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So you wrote a previous post in which you tried to distance yourself from the post you were about to make? 

Cause that is your MO. 

I guess I should add, we are probably playing a semantics game here.   The title of the thread to me means who will be the future leaders or what will be the future principals of the party.  She will not be a leader imo.  

if your version of the title means anyone who will be elected as a Republican is the future of the party, then I guess you are right too.  I don’t see her getting voted out anytime soon based on being in a completely safe district. 

• Plus1 1

34 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I guess I should add, we are probably playing a semantics game here.   The title of the thread to me means who will be the future leaders or what will be the future principals of the party.  She will not be a leader imo.  

if your version of the title means anyone who will be elected as a Republican is the future of the party, then I guess you are right too.  I don’t see her getting voted out anytime soon based on being in a completely safe district. 

Yeah, it's not semantics. 

You claim the Boberts, MTGs, Gosars, Jordan's and Gaetz's will not be the future leaders of the Republican Party, and some of us think they already are, given how they are dictating the principles of the party, landing committee positions where they do indeed influence policy, and getting tons more face time than official Republican Leadership.  

With the three leading candidates for the 2024 nomination being Donald Trump, Ron DeSantis, and Donald Trump, Jr., I think we can agree that the GOP is not leaning away from the principles of its hard right wing. 

That's the immediate future of the Republican Party. It's still anyone's guess how it plays out. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

Marjorie Taylor Greene and her far-right, antisemitic, qanon proclivities are symptomatic of the direction the GOP has taken. 

The evidence isn't based on her being elected in some deep red district or that she's been assigned committee seats (which is degenerate enough).

The evidence of the GOP's slide as personified by MTG is that there's been next to zero pushback to her prancing around with literal Nazis or her utter bats#!tf#&%ery.  She's been accepted because she's fam now.  And yet dyed in the wool conservatives like Cheney or Kinzinger are now considered complete outcasts within the party.  That's the future of the Republican Party come to fruition.  

Saying "well she's not Speaker of the House or GOP chair" dodges the point and is intended obfuscate the OP unsurprising.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 5
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You claim the Boberts, MTGs, Gosars, Jordan's and Gaetz's will not be the future leaders of the Republican Party,

I never said anything about Jim Jordan.  Of the other four, Gaetz unfortunately may have a future shot at some committee chair down the line.  The other three are seat fillers until proven otherwise.   Just an fyi, most members of the House are on some type of committee.  

getting tons more face time than official Republican Leadership.  

That’s a media issue.  Most people understand this. 

Yeah, it's not semantics. 

You are wrong and that’s ok to be wrong sometimes.  

When those three get put on some type of Chair position, or Whip, Speaker, heck I will even throw in elected to Senate, then you can be moved to the “you are right” column.  Until that time comes, well, I guess you are just wrong. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • TBH 1
12 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I never said anything about Jim Jordan.  Of the other four, Gaetz unfortunately may have a future shot at some committee chair down the line.  The other three are seat fillers until proven otherwise.   Just an fyi, most members of the House are on some type of committee.  

That’s a media issue.  Most people understand this. 

You are wrong and that’s ok to be wrong sometimes.  

When those three get put on some type of Chair position, or Whip, Speaker, heck I will even throw in elected to Senate, then you can be moved to the “you are right” column.  Until that time comes, well, I guess you are just wrong. 

Let's just simplify this since words like "leadership" and "the" seem to vex you:

Is the Republican Party continuing its lean to the far right, or is it swinging back to the conservative center?

Show your work. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

I understand that a lot of these "extreme" candidates are in safe districts and it's not a surprise that they beat out dem candidates in a general election.

What's scary is that they are winning primaries even though GOP voters insist that they don't represent the party's values.

• TBH 3
50 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Let's just simplify this since words like "leadership" and "the" seem to vex you:

Is the Republican Party continuing its lean to the far right, or is it swinging back to the conservative center?

Show your work. 

Apparently you missed this the second time too.  Siggghhhh……..so here you go again. 

if your version of the title means anyone who will be elected as a Republican is the future of the party, then I guess you are right too.  I don’t see her getting voted out anytime soon based on being in a completely safe district. 

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I understand that a lot of these "extreme" candidates are in safe districts and it's not a surprise that they beat out dem candidates in a general election.

What's scary is that they are winning primaries even though GOP voters insist that they don't represent the party's values.

I don’t disagree, though it’s not unique to GOP as the DEM Sid’s has an increasing lot bigger SQUAD as the years go by.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Apparently you missed this the second time too.  Siggghhhh……..so here you go again. 

if your version of the title means anyone who will be elected as a Republican is the future of the party, then I guess you are right too.  I don’t see her getting voted out anytime soon based on being in a completely safe district. 

I've never put someone on Ignore, but this is just the kind of exchange that makes it seem preferable. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've never put someone on Ignore, but this is just the kind of exchange that makes it seem preferable. 

Feel free.  It’s not a me problem that you can’t understand those two paragraphs showing what the thread title means to me and how that directs what I post in it.  

• Plus1 2
18 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

During the speakership debate, Marge played a key roll in the negotiations that lead to McCarthy winning. She remains one of the most active money raisers in the party.  

She is a leader of the party even if you don’t want to admit it. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1