Media Bias

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

So they're not, but republicans are whipping parents into a froth claiming it. 

It must have been too early in the morning. I misread your questions and left off the word ‘Where’. I was simply answering yes to ‘are they...?’ If you believe this is a ‘dog whistle’ (which is all I heard on CNN) or you believe this is white supremacy in action (which is all I heard on MSNBC), so be it. If your right it will flush out in time. Parents will now be more involved than ever at watching want is going in schools. They will either see it, or not.  

Maybe McAuliffe simply screwed up when he told parents they should leave their kids education to the professionals. I guarantee you that comment pissed off lots of Mom’s, and women went for Youngkin.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, nic said:

It must have been too early in the morning. I misread your questions and left off the word ‘Where’. I was simply answering yes to ‘are they...?’ If you believe this is a ‘dog whistle’ (which is all I heard on CNN) or you believe this is white supremacy in action (which is all I heard on MSNBC), so be it. If your right it will flush out in time. Parents will now be more involved than ever at watching want is going in schools. They will either see it, or not.  

Maybe McAuliffe simply screwed up when he told parents they should leave their kids education to the professionals. I guarantee you that comment pissed off lots of Mom’s, and women went for Youngkin.

So you don't know where it's being used in classrooms, or if it's being used? And there's no evidence that it's being used? But right-wingers are frothed up about it anyway because it's being pushed by right-wing media?

That's the very definition of a dog-whistle.    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And while it would be nice to reduce the VA results to a referendum on this issue, it's probably important to note that VA has switched gubernatorial parties after each of the last eight presidents were elected.

This has less to do with moms siding with Youngkin and more to do with VA's mercurial election history.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

So you don't know where it's being used in classrooms, or if it's being used? And there's no evidence that it's being used? But right-wingers are frothed up about it anyway because it's being pushed by right-wing media?

That's the very definition of a dog-whistle.    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And while it would be nice to reduce the VA results to a referendum on this issue, it's probably important to note that VA has switched gubernatorial parties after each of the last eight presidents were elected.

This has less to do with moms siding with Youngkin and more to do with VA's mercurial election history.

it’s not the only issue in VA. I think economy topped it.

It is true that Americans tend to forget the past quickly, but I think this issue is going to spread into 2022 at least. Look at the school board election in Douglas county CO. It’s not just VA. What the heck happened in New Jersey? Maybe the pollsters should find new jobs since they can no longer do their job well. They seem to be off to the left at least 5 points. 

The bright side for Dems is that the Republicans will find a way to screw up their new found “ popularity”.  Letting Trump run again will do it. Who knows, maybe Youngkin will be a dolt. 

• Plus1 1

Bill Maher believes what is being taught to kids about race is not good. He even used my talking points. :cowbell: It’s getting bad when liberals like Maher starting talking like parents at VA school board meetings. 

“But I find that a disingenuous argument because I don't think that is what people are objecting to," the host reacted. "They are not objecting to Black history being taught. There are other things going on in the schools."

"Like what?" Dyson asked. 

"Like separating children by race," Maher responded, "and describing them either as oppressed or oppressor. I mean, there are children coming home who feel traumatized by this. That's what parents are objecting to."

https://deadline.com/2021/11/bill-maher-real-time-hbo-conversation-about-race-kylie-jennfer-1234869328/

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

44 minutes ago, nic said:

Bill Maher believes what is being taught to kids about race is not good. He even used my talking points. :cowbell: It’s getting bad when liberals like Maher starting talking like parents at VA school board meetings. 

“But I find that a disingenuous argument because I don't think that is what people are objecting to," the host reacted. "They are not objecting to Black history being taught. There are other things going on in the schools."

"Like what?" Dyson asked. 

"Like separating children by race," Maher responded, "and describing them either as oppressed or oppressor. I mean, there are children coming home who feel traumatized by this. That's what parents are objecting to."

https://deadline.com/2021/11/bill-maher-real-time-hbo-conversation-about-race-kylie-jennfer-1234869328/

I still don’t understand how kids are being separated by race in these discussions.  Are some schools taking white kids to a different classroom for the lesson?

If a teacher ostracizes a segment of the class, that’s not a curriculum problem.  It’s  most likely a teacher problem.  I’m assuming the kids are physically in the same room.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I still don’t understand how kids are being separated by race in these discussions.  Are some schools taking white kids to a different classroom for the lesson?

If a teacher ostracizes a segment of the class, that’s not a curriculum problem.  It’s  most likely a teacher problem.  I’m assuming the kids are physically in the same room.

Separate dorms and graduations ceremonies are becoming a thing in colleges and universities.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardvedder/2018/11/15/racial-segregation-on-american-campuses-a-widespread-phenomenon/?sh=7e4048354455

The reasoning is to provide a safe space. Poor reaction in my opinion. 

https://nyunews.com/opinion/2020/08/31/nyu-black-student-housing/

In the elementary schools, I doubt they are in separate classrooms. I think separation is figurative. People feel that curriculums are calling out social standing and traits by race. White kids feel guilty even though they have never treated a black kid poorly and I believe the black families feel their kids are being taught to behave like the victims, but I would have to ask.

My kids grew up with neighbors from Africa. The families became friends when my kids were 3. Very good friends.

I always wondered when the day would come that my kids would ask about skin color. It never came. In fact, they didn’t really think much about race until they hit Junior High and two of their friends started telling racial jokes. One of these friends was black the other mixed race. All of sudden race became a thing. I felt bad for the friends telling the jokes because I wondered if they did it to try and fit in to a mostly white school. I never had the opportunity to talk with kids or their families. I simply tools my kids to not participate in the jokes, tell the other kids they didn’t have to say these things, and treat them well. Everyone well, unless some kid was being a jerk. :blink:

In contrast , their youngest sibling by 8 years recently a new friend of a different race on her basketball team. She said how much she liked her new friend and skin color came up. The kids notice race much more than they have in decades. So much for MLKs colorblind dream. Let the commentary and cool-aid emojis commence:cowbell:

• Plus1 2
53 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm sure this is a totally valid point and not at all about distracting from the actual testimony of an EMT shot by Rittenhouse.

Did you actually listen or hear about the testimony from the “EMT” errrrr Far Left Antifa type activist?  He basically helped the Defense towards the Aquitaine they are looking for.   He admitted to being a liar, and admitted the defendant acted on self defense:facepalm:  

people who believe the defendant is not guilty certainly downs want to distract from this guys testimony!   They want everyone to hear it. :D

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Did you actually listen or hear about the testimony from the “EMT” errrrr Far Left Antifa type activist?  He basically helped the Defense towards the Aquitaine they are looking for.   He admitted to being a liar, and admitted the defendant acted on self defense:facepalm:  

Those would all be much better points than the pearl clutching "the news isn't real?!!??".

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Those would all be much better points than the pearl clutching "the news isn't real?!!??".

But you called it a distraction?  Now they are better points?    And yes, the news is turning into narrative stories.  “Lone Survivor” headlines gave me a chuckle 

• Plus1 2