Media Bias

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

It’s sort of immaterial if they are just that way or if they’re trying to toe some nonexistent company line.

It is irresponsible and inaccurate to suggest that journalists are left leaning because they need to keep their job, which was Teach's literal point.

I repeat - that is not a thing for the overwhelming majority of the industry. And it is an entirely different discussion as to why the media as a whole tends to be left-leaning.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

This is sort of my point, it is not pre-determined.  They get hired or while interviewing they read the room and then blend in to get the job.  Once you build up enough "power", you can do what you want.

Not a journalist example but Howard Stern...he did it "his way" from the start and was canned all the time.  Most DJ's, at that time, just towed the company line even though I am sure many wanted to do other things.

I am not doubting you and what you say.  I just think people become chameleons.  I act different when I am at different schools or different coaching staffs.   I don't think it is a bad thing, it is a human condition thing.  It is why we study sociology because it is amazing to see how we change because of the world around us.

You are wise beyond your years...and that is saying a lot with how old you are.

Again, there are very tangible reasons as to why journalists tend to be more left-leaning and are viewed as such by the general public. Purporting they do this for the primary purpose of job security is irresponsible and just flat out wrong.

We don't need people running around suggesting that journalists are libs or else they'll be fired. It's asinine. And it feeds into the already inappropriate and unnecessary hate/violence that journalists experience.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It is irresponsible and inaccurate to suggest that journalists are left leaning because they need to keep their job, which was Teach's literal point.

I repeat - that is not a thing for the overwhelming majority of the industry. And it is an entirely different discussion as to why the media as a whole tends to be left-leaning.

Again, there are very tangible reasons as to why journalists tend to be more left-leaning and are viewed as such by the general public. Purporting they do this for the primary purpose of job security is irresponsible and just flat out wrong.

We don't need people running around suggesting that journalists are libs or else they'll be fired. It's asinine. And it feeds into the already inappropriate and unnecessary hate/violence that journalists experience.

Good point. The reasons are important.  I guess my comment was made only considering the end result and in that aspect it is immaterial but it is important to not unleash or let fester further conspiracy theories.

14 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I've actually always thought that the industry would be more desired by someone who is at least leaning liberal.  Someone gets into journalism because they love telling someone else's story.  That could be anything.  But, the person has to at least be very interested in the world around them and what others are going through in life and enjoy telling that story in an interesting way.  That tends to be a more liberal type person.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Good point. The reasons are important.  I guess my comment was made only considering the end result and in that aspect it is immaterial but it is important to not unleash or let fester further conspiracy theories.

Agreed.

I completely appreciate and respect the end result opinion. Journalists do tend to be left-leaning. And it is entirely unsurprising why this tends to bother right-leaning individuals. Journalists are college educated people who likely live in bigger cities and talk to thousands of people with different opinions and viewpoints each year. The sociopolitical science behind why they are the way they are is pretty evident IMO.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Again, there are very tangible reasons as to why journalists tend to be more left-leaning and are viewed as such by the general public

What are those reasons if you don’t mind me asking and are they valid reasons to have a reported 80-20 split in R vs D identification? 

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Again, I get what you are saying.  

I am not saying they are lying about what the write and make s#!t up.  I am saying that they follow the tone of the company.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

It is like saying "The vast majority of teachers are passionate about their subject matter and helping kids" It just isn't true, doesn't mean they don't do a good job and act the part and act interested and excited about polynomials.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
36 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Again, I get what you are saying.  

I am not saying they are lying about what the write and make s#!t up.  I am saying that they follow the tone of the company.  Nothing wrong with that at all.

It is like saying "The vast majority of teachers are passionate about their subject matter and helping kids" It just isn't true, doesn't mean they don't do a good job and act the part and act interested and excited about polynomials.  

My focus this entire time was on your association of job security with political ideology, which was and is nonsense. But I'm less bothered if you think there's some nebulous company-tone that journalists follow.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

What are those reasons if you don’t mind me asking and are they valid reasons to have a reported 80-20 split in R vs D identification? 

I'm not sure what you're referencing at the end of your post here so my apologies, but as to the first part, yes I outlined a few of those reasons in this below response to JJ.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Agreed.

I completely appreciate and respect the end result opinion. Journalists do tend to be left-leaning. And it is entirely unsurprising why this tends to bother right-leaning individuals. Journalists are college educated people who likely live in bigger cities and talk to thousands of people with different opinions and viewpoints each year. The sociopolitical science behind why they are the way they are is pretty evident IMO.

We have mounds of scientific data and evidence that show us, for example, why big cities and larger populaces tend to be more left-leaning or 'blue.' I think many of those same principles apply to an industry like journalism... much more so than some conjecture-based narrative that 'if they don't lean left their job is at risk.'

The bottom line is that, for the VAST majority of journalists and journalism organizations, there is no consciously intentional directive or narrative to "lean left." This left-lean is more likely a result of sociological factors. And obviously I'm not denying a left-lean. I'm just pushing back against what I think is a very dangerous narrative associated with their job security and political ideologies.

• Plus1 1

How does the "all the journalists are liberal for the money" theory explain Rush Limbaugh, Laura Schlessinger, all of Fox for the past two decades, and the proliferation of sources like Newsmax, OAN, the NY Post, etc?

If the money is all on the liberal side of media, why are these outlets doing so well?

• Plus1 3
47 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm not sure what you're referencing at the end of your post here so my apologies, but as to the first part, yes I outlined a few of those reasons in this below response to JJ.

We have mounds of scientific data and evidence that show us, for example, why big cities and larger populaces tend to be more left-leaning or 'blue.' I think many of those same principles apply to an industry like journalism... much more so than some conjecture-based narrative that 'if they don't lean left their job is at risk.'

The bottom line is that, for the VAST majority of journalists and journalism organizations, there is no consciously intentional directive or narrative to "lean left." This left-lean is more likely a result of sociological factors. And obviously I'm not denying a left-lean. I'm just pushing back against what I think is a very dangerous narrative associated with their job security and political ideologies.

Thanks for providing your input and sorry I missed your earlier post on the question 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

My focus this entire time was on your association of job security with political ideology, which was and is nonsense. But I'm less bothered if you think there's some nebulous company-tone that journalists follow.

Oh yeah, I don't think it is some evil thing or that they are being these horrible people.  I would guess 99% of all journalists do a good job and feel like they are doing a good job.  I also think 99% of journalists want to keep their job.

Simplest terms...you love Burger King but work at McDonalds.  You are not going into the company meeting eating a Whopper.  

I think part of the issue is that you are close to it so you have some pride invested, which is great.  It is like when I make fun of the dorks that have no idea about education but think they should have a say on book, lesson plans, teaching strategies and locker colors.

Trust me, I was not slamming the profession, not at all. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

How does the "all the journalists are liberal for the money" theory explain Rush Limbaugh, Laura Schlessinger, all of Fox for the past two decades, and the proliferation of sources like Newsmax, OAN, the NY Post, etc?

If the money is all on the liberal side of media, why are these outlets doing so well?

They are not all liberal and people that think that are nuts.  I think Rush was, at one time, the highest paid radio person in the world.  There is money on both sides.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I agree with what you’re saying but how far would a liberal get working for Fox News or OAN or Newsmax? It’s fair to assume the same dynamic plays out at some organizations that are liberal rather than conservative. But to Enhance’s point, I don’t think there is any vast liberals only conspiracy with most journalists. It just tends to be a byproduct of a profession that has attended college and is maybe a little more enlightened. I don’t think it really has anything to do with money except with the organizations clearly at the extremes. But teach isn’t wrong either. For the most part people that want to keep their jobs anywhere will adjust their behavior so that they blend in and don’t upset the prevailing culture.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

They are not all liberal and people that think that are nuts.  I think Rush was, at one time, the highest paid radio person in the world.  There is money on both sides.

Obviously. Which makes the statement that started this conversation all the stranger.