Media Bias

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

However, this (in my opinion) goes back to one of the biggest issues with mainstream media in general which is the blurred line between news reporting and editorialism. A show like that is clearly more of the latter and I think people need to consume way less of that garbage.

People should pick up a paper or read some articles online with quotes from multiple perspectives, then make up their own damn mind how they feel about it.

But my, how much easier it is to just hone in on an opinion you’re predisposed to and subjugate your critical thinking to the source. ;)

5 hours ago, nic said:

added more. Tried to get the Wash Post but it was paywalled. The very first sentence was pure editorial though. 

I looked up at that article out of curiosity. It's paywalled for me too, so just at face value, the only defense I can think of as to why they included that sentence is because it appears to be on a content section of their site labeled "ANSWER SHEET - ANALYSIS." Not knowing the intricacies of their content posting strategy, it's possible that this section of the site includes some opinions.

But, even if that's the case, this is still an issue for me. It goes back to what I often harp about in the media industry which is the blurred line between news reporting and editorialism. I think there needs to be explicitly clear distinctions between the two. I think analysis is fine in general but that definitely would include opinions/interpretations and I think they need to be more up front right away. Perhaps putting the word "ANALYSIS:" at the beginning of the headline or something like that.

General rule of thumb for journalists is to write to a third grade reading level.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, nic said:

If these two quotes are true there's no story and no hypocrisy here:

"Chaya Raichik, in her management of the Libs of TikTok Twitter account and in media interviews, has had significant impact on public discourse and her identity had become public knowledge on social media. We did not publish or link to any details about her personal life."

"[A]ll the info in the Libs of TikTok piece was already publicly available online. but Taylor had one thing that no one else had which made the report possible...Glenn Greenwald accidentally confirming their identity lol," Binder tweeted.

Even if they're not, a journalist confirming and publishing the name of the person behind a huge social media presence that, per the claims of that very person, has gotten teachers featured on it fired, and routinely doxxes LGBTQ folks, seems like it isn't the biggest element of the story to worry about.

• Plus1 6
6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

routinely doxxes LGBTQ folks, seems like it isn't the biggest element of the story to worry about.

That just isn’t true.   You obviously don’t know anything about that Twitter account. 

8 hours ago, nic said:

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

I did not know what libs of tik tok was. Did the teachers who got fired deserve it for their actions and they just got caught by some kid filming them? Does libs of tik tok post videos that they find on tik tok and they do not do any filming of their own? 

Edit: Wait, they repost videos made by people talking about themselves and then these people get fired? I guess I need to see some examples. 

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

That just isn’t true.   You obviously don’t know anything about that Twitter account. 

You're gonna say that isn't true and then link....Tucker as your evidence? The "tan your nuts" "I'm just asking questions guy" (who is btw on record at least twice suggesting "these teachers" whoever that is should be assaulted)

Here they are posting a teacher, tagging their school, eventually sharing who the teacher is, and celebrating when the school had to block the account and many of its followers after harassment:

Here they are bragging about this teacher getting fired in large part due to this tiktok, which they posted.

Oh and then hear they are revealing their full name afterwards:

Here they are claiming credit for this person getting fired:

Here they are arguing that it's okay that they successfully get teachers fired because obviously the teachers in question are bad:

Here's a podcast episode where she acknowledges what you just said isn't true:

"How do you feel about that when you're like, 'oh my goodness what I posted actually had a direct impact on something?"

"It's something that I never expected when I first started out, and every time it happens now it's like shocking to me all over again... there's been quite a few teachers actually got fired um because of what I posted, which I have mixed feelings about because it's not easy to be the one responsible for that, for someone losing their job. On the other hand, I mean these people some of them are literally evil and they're grooming kinds, I'm just gonna say it outright... but to be the one responsible for that it is a little bit hard for me but I think it has to be done.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, nic said:

Edit: Wait, they repost videos made by people talking about themselves and then these people get fired? I guess I need to see some examples. 

They repost videos and then offer commentary and a narrative that these people are grooming kids, are predators that need things like child protective services called against them, then make a bunch of claims about things not actually present in the videos ("this play is marketing sex and nudity to 5 year olds!"), and so on. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

You're gonna say that isn't true and then link....Tucker as your evidence? The "tan your nuts" "I'm just asking questions guy" (who is btw on record at least twice suggesting "these teachers" whoever that is should be assaulted)

Here they are posting a teacher, tagging their school, eventually sharing who the teacher is, and celebrating when the school had to block the account and many of its followers after harassment:

Here they are bragging about this teacher getting fired in large part due to this tiktok, which they posted.

Oh and then hear they are revealing their full name afterwards:

Here they are claiming credit for this person getting fired:

Here they are arguing that it's okay that they successfully get teachers fired because obviously the teachers in question are bad:

Here's a podcast episode where she acknowledges what you just said isn't true:

You're upset about the "double standard" but not upset about those educators/what they said? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

They literally re-posted the exact message that idiot already posted!  Do you really not understand how that works??  I think you actually do.  

You're gonna say that isn't true and then link....Tucker as your evidence

No I’ve been following the account for quite some time.   I understand what they do and don’t take Tuckers word for it.   

• Plus1 3