Economy

5 hours ago, admo said:

1. We don't pay wholesale at the pump.

2.  Russian oil is heavy oil which is not suitable for gasoline.  It is used for industrial purposes. Therefore, the import ban (executive order) on Russian oil has no effect on gasoline used by motor vehicles.

1.   No s#!t.  

2.  But we were buying a lot of gas from Russia.  

32 minutes ago, nic said:

I don’t know why you all are arguing. The admin in charge always gets blamed for the current economy. Or the credit. Doesn’t matter whose fault it is. 

That's exactly what we are arguing about.  Just because they are normally blamed or get credit for the economy, many times that blame or credit is misplaced. 

I would prefer to know to the best of my ability what or who should get credit or blame.  Doing anything else is being lazy.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I have found references from 3% to about 8%. Sizeable, but not "a lot" imo 

And, instantly cutting that out is enough to move the markets some.  Most of the Russian gas went to Hawaii and the west coast.  If I remember right, that's where the biggest spike in retail gas was experienced.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, instantly cutting that out is enough to move the markets some.  Most of the Russian gas went to Hawaii and the west coast.  If I remember right, that's where the biggest spike in retail gas was experienced.

So I guess we in the Midwest never had a #putinpricehike

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I did not say it only affected those areas.  You're doing what you accuse others of doing.

Looks like the “biggest spike” in HA and West Coast is what your saying because they get Russian gas to some extent?   How big was our smaller spike and why would Biden call it the #putinpricehike if our supply wasn’t affected since we don’t get Russian gas?  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Looks like the “biggest spike” in HA and West Coast is what your saying because they get Russian gas to some extent?   How big was our smaller spike and why would Biden call it the #putinpricehike if our supply wasn’t affected since we don’t get Russian gas?  

You're smarter than this.

It's a world wide market.  But, you know that.  I never once said it didn't affect other areas, because it did.  I was speculating that maybe it affected those areas more.  

In General, the price of gas is based off of the overall gas market.  Yes, you know that.  However, I was wondering if something like this could affect an area like Hawaii more because if their direct supply was cut off, there could be a secondary effect in that area that could drive up the price even farther than elsewhere.

But...Like I said....you know what I was saying and you're trying to turn the conversation around to fit your narrative that the price increase over the last couple of weeks is all Biden's fault.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But...Like I said....you know what I was saying and you're trying to turn the conversation around to fit your narrative that the price increase over the last couple of weeks is all Biden's fault.

I don’t actually think that late Feb early March’s increase is all Biden’s fault.   Oil is a futures market and the market was pricing in a prolonged war on top of Biden’s 2021 war on oil.  It’s why price is going down now because the market is pricing in a war that ends sooner rather than later.   Now it will just mostly be Biden’s war on oil increase. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t actually think that late Feb early March’s increase is all Biden’s fault.   Oil is a futures market and the market was pricing in a prolonged war on top of Biden’s 2021 war on oil.  It’s why price is going down now because the market is pricing in a war that ends sooner rather than later.   Now it will just mostly be Biden’s war on oil increase. 

Oh...Biden's war on oil where he's increased production from the big cut in production that Trump had.

Sure wish Trump hadn't cut all that production.