Economy

56 minutes ago, nic said:

“Fiscal support measures designed to counteract the severity of the pandemic’s economic effect may have contributed to this divergence by raising inflation about 3 percentage points by the end of 2021," wrote Òscar Jordà, Celeste Liu, Fernanda Nechio and Fabián Rivera-Reyes in the San Francisco Fed's weekly Economic Letter.

Inflation and gas prices aren’t traced to one root cause. Can’t just blame Putin, Biden or Trump. Biden will take the hit for it though cause he is the one currently in charge.

Yep, because voters don’t care about realizing what actually causes things to happen. 

15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Sure….when you use a debunked article why wouldn’t I?   

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/media/594276-us-accuses-financial-news-website-of-spreading-kremlin-propaganda%3famp

U.S. intelligence officials are accusing the conservative financial news website Zero Hedge of spreading Russian propaganda. 

The officials, who spoke to The Associated Press, pointed to a number of stories published by Zero Hedge that accused the U.S. government of raising exaggerated alarms about the prospects of a Russian invasion of Ukraine. They said the stories originated with Kremlin-controlled media.

Some of those stories were written by people affiliated with the Strategic Culture Foundation, an organization sanctioned by the Biden administration for allegedly contributing to Russia's interference in the 2020 election, according to the AP.

Sure why wouldn't you go to bat for an outlet that has been accused of spreading Russian propaganda?

I can't find anything that says this has been debunked.  Other than by Zerohedge.  If you're talking about a specific article that has been debunked then show your work.  I didn't post an article, just a link to a fact checking site which shows Zerohedge to be a complete trash source.  But not surprised.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/media/594276-us-accuses-financial-news-website-of-spreading-kremlin-propaganda%3famp

Sure why wouldn't you go to bat for an outlet that has been accused of spreading Russian propaganda?

I can't find anything that says this has been debunked.  Other than by Zerohedge.  If you're talking about a specific article that has been debunked then show your work.  I didn't post an article, just a link to a fact checking site which shows Zerohedge to be a complete trash source.  But not surprised.

I already did the last time it was posted.   Feel free to look it up.  

Did you read the article @DevoHusker posted?   Was there factually incorrect data in it?   The headline seemed to be worded badly but the data and info inside the article was sound.   If you think it’s complete trash, please go through theatricals and tell us all which parts.  We are anxiously awaiting your fact check. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I already did the last time it was posted.   Feel free to look it up.  

Did you read the article @DevoHusker posted?   Was there factually incorrect data in it?   The headline seemed to be worded badly but the data and info inside the article was sound.   If you think it’s complete trash, please go through theatricals and tell us all which parts.  We are anxiously awaiting your fact check. 

Here we go with the "I already posted it, look it up" bulls#!t.  Code for you don't have anything.  If you could post anything debunking the intelligence services accusations from February of this year that Zerohedge posts Russian propaganda, wittingly or unwittingly, I'll wait.  

I already posted why Zerohedge is trash and it's been addressed why their article was misleading at best.

• Plus1 1

On 3/28/2022 at 6:55 PM, DevoHusker said:

The article appeared accurate, and the prices are indeed higher.

Thanks for your concern. I follow lots of Twitter accounts.

There is lots of alleged mis/disinformation out there, all across the spectrum, always need to be careful. 

I mean, not taking inflation into a account is pretty poor for an article about prices, so I'd still call that misleading.

On 3/11/2022 at 11:18 AM, JJ Husker said:

If you are tired of my steel price updates, move along.

Stainless steel took another huge increase a couple days ago.  What was running about $1.50 to $1.80 per pound just over a year ago and $3.50 to $3.90 per pound a week ago, jumped to about $4.50 per pound a few days ago. That’s 20% this week (so far) and 300% in just over a year.

Stainless steel is used extensively in beef/pork/poultry production and general food processing as well as many other areas. It will impact things downstream and make it’s way to consumers. I cannot even hold quotes for the same day. It is absolutely bonkers. The reasons given are, nickel prices (apparently Russia is a big nickel producer) and energy/gas prices. Just FYI if you’re interested.

Also have heard that one of the large local steel (non stainless) distributors, based out of Norfolk Nebraska, has stopped selling sheet and plate due to all current inventory being sold and the market being too volatile for them to order more. This is hearsay from a fellow fabricator.

It’s a real s#!tshow.

FWIW.....I always appreciate when a poster brings some real world information into the conversation. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

In the true spirit of this thread, can anyone explain the stock market to me?

For most of my life the professional speculators traded in a mix of cash to debt ratios, labor and product pipeline status, earnings reports and political/regulatory issues as they affected nations and sectors. It was always imperfect, but there were rules the risk-averse could follow, leaving the risk-takers to gamble whatever they could afford to lose.

My understanding of the current stock market is that the old rules no longer apply, basic economic theory is out the window, the line between professional investor and living room day-trade has blurred, and the whole thing is now operating like a chain letter, where everyone has to maintain the pretense or the whole thing falls apart. Because there is zero sense in the valuation of most companies.  

35 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

For most of my life the professional speculators traded in a mix of cash to debt ratios, labor and product pipeline status, earnings reports and political/regulatory issues as they affected nations and sectors. It was always imperfect, but there were rules the risk-averse could follow, leaving the risk-takers to gamble whatever they could afford to lose.

My understanding of the current stock market is that the old rules no longer apply, basic economic theory is out the window, the line between professional investor and living room day-trade has blurred, and the whole thing is now operating like a chain letter, where everyone has to maintain the pretense or the whole thing falls apart. Because there is zero sense in the valuation of most companies.  

I think it's always been this way, it's just that more people are able to use the stock market and are figuring out how it works. It's not really about how companies are doing or what profits they can achieve but rather what investors think or believe about the companies or the markets - and that's always been how it worked.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think you are understanding the stock market perfectly. It is a house of cards, artificial bubble if you will, running almost solely on investors continued involvement. Most valuations do not support current stock prices.

But I still feel it is worth investing in because a whole bunch of things will also go south if it does. We’re sort of forced to participate because there are darn few places you can get that kind of return. If it crashes we’re all screwed anyway.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I am all for fixing this so prices of homes can be more reasonable.  However, how do we fix it?  Ban corporations from buying homes?  There's a mixture of things going on here.  Yes, clearly there are corps being them to flip them and make money.  That's bad.  I know there are also corps that buy homes every once in a while for legitimate reasons.

It would be interesting to know what type of corporation is doing this.  Are there actually publicly traded companies set up for the sole purpose of buying homes and flipping them?

• Plus1 1