Economy

I thought this was a great idea for politicians to put up.

Georgia suspends their 29 cent gas tax.

Maryland suspends their 36 cent gas tax

Virginia suspends their 26 cent gas tax

Meanwhile in Cali, Republicans want to suspend the 51 cent gas tax and Dems want to send everyone $400.  I suppose the latter is to offset inflation in general, but I wonder if people will have to claim it in next years taxes like I did this year with the 2021 COVID money that I didn’t want or need. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, nic said:

I thought this was a great idea for politicians to put up.

Georgia suspends their 29 cent gas tax.

Maryland suspends their 3y cent gas tax

Virginia suspends their 26 cent gas tax

Meanwhile in Cali, Republicans want to suspend the 51 cent gas tax and Dems want to send everyone $400.  I suppose the latter is to offset inflation in general, but I wonder if people will have to claim it in next years taxes like I did this year with the 2021 COVID money that I didn’t want or need. 

Economic impact and stimulus payments are not taxable….???

16 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I thought child tax credit payments yes, but stimulus no?!?

I don’t know about child tax credit payments. I don’t get those but yeah, they’re prob taxable. That doesn’t really have anything to do with the Covid payments he mentioned though. Those are permanent, correct?

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t know about child tax credit payments. I don’t get those but yeah, they’re prob taxable. That doesn’t really have anything to do with the Covid payments he mentioned though. Those are permanent, correct?

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/are-stimulus-checks-taxable-income-tax-questions-fact-check-2022/65-ac4d4078-4a0f-434f-a965-10455b2cf776

On 3/11/2022 at 3:34 PM, Archy1221 said:

Maybe ask people in the Obama admin 

So the quote from Biden  himself says "a large contributor", which doesn't imply a percentage, then talks about that one factor.

Then the abc tweet says "Biden blames high inflation rates in part on Russian sanctions"

Then Steven claims no this is wrong, but then acknowledges that there is a small Russia effect. Sounds like he's actually agreeing :lol:

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
34 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

So the quote from Biden  himself says "a large contributor", which doesn't imply a percentage, then talks about that one factor.

Then the abc tweet says "Biden blames high inflation rates in part on Russian sanctions"

Then Steven claims no this is wrong, but then acknowledges that there is a small Russia effect. Sounds like he's actually agreeing :lol:

Sounds like he’s not since he began with “well, no”.   I will acknowledge however that you and I may not have the same definition of what agree means.    :dunno

• Plus1 3

24 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Sounds like he’s not since he began with “well, no”.   I will acknowledge however that you and I may not have the same definition of what agree means.    :dunno

I agree with you, @Archy1221

They both seem to be saying that Russian sanctions are playing a part in the current inflation problem.  However, one would assume they probably don't agree on the extent.  Hard to say since no one put a value on it though...

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I thought child tax credit payments yes, but stimulus no?!?

The IRS sent an advanced child tax credit letter for economic assistance payment received last April…ish. Box 1 had the amount for me…and another letter for my wife (joint filing). That was subtracted from the credit for 2021 which means it came directly off my refund….assuming the tax SW worked. :D

I assume this was because the economic assistance was really an advance on my child tax credit for 2021.

• Plus1 1