Biden Foreign Policy

The dilemma for our foreign policy is that if we don't have aircraft carriers on ready and flex at least a bit, Iran & Lebanon might be emboldened to go "alright it's time to finally take Israel out, the U.S. is actually going to sit this one out."

But I want absolutely no involvement in this thing. None. This is a powder keg ready to explode.

• TBH 1
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not defending Hamas. I wish they could be obliterated yesterday. But just some food for thought. People in third world countries are on a different plane of existence than we Americans are. Think about it in terms of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs:

Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia

These folks aren't even solid on the first layer, "physiological." A lot of them probably feel like they have nothing to live for. Then you throw in the Jihad stuff and it starts making a lot of sense.

Again, just a discussion, not defending it. Terror acts are horrible and should be snuffed out.

Palestinians were probably way better off pre-2007 before Hamas took charge. The word is that Hamas takes aid packages delivered from foreign sources and puts it into building up resources for attacks like this. Just think how that worsens the situation for their own people, terrible.

Of course!  I get it and I understand it I just won't excuse it.  

But again, if NO ONE JOINS, then it dies.  Just like anything else.  

What are there, 4-5 million people in Palestine and what, 50,000 HAMassers?  

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

The dilemma for our foreign policy is that if we don't have aircraft carriers on ready and flex at list a bit, Iran & Lebanon might be emboldened to go "alright it's time to finally take Israel out, the U.S. is actually going to sit this one out."

But I want absolutely no involvement in this thing. None. This is a powder keg ready to explode.

This is exactly it.  

Which makes the ending of this something we already know.

It will "die down" in a few weeks...and then pick up again in the future, over and over and over.  

Probably until HAMass is gone, which, is probably never going to happen without very extreme measure of violence OR Hamsters realizing they are nutjobs and just stopping.  I don't see either of those things happening. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

It will "die down" in a few weeks...and then pick up again in the future, over and over and over.

I'm not sure about this, I want to believe it's true but I'm not sure. Israel has officially declared war. Things I'm reading suggest that Israel is fully prepared for a large scale war - including a ground war - not just bombing stuff. They have the military firepower and technology to turn the Gaza Strip into a parking lot in a few months' time, and they will actually do it this time if they think they need to.

The question is how the rest of the Arab nations react if & when this happens.

If the full scale war occurs, I don't think Israel will occupy Gaza. I think they'll wait for things to die down and then they'll help put the Palestinian Authority back in charge, because they actually engaged in accords with the Israelis. Hamas hated this about the Palestinian Authority and saw them as being in cahoots with Israel.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not sure about this, I want to believe it's true but I'm not sure. Israel has officially declared war. Things I'm reading suggest that Israel is fully prepared for a large scale war - including a ground war - not just bombing stuff. They have the military firepower and technology to turn the Gaza Strip into a parking lot in a few months' time, and they will actually do it this time if they think they need to.

If the full scale war occurs, I don't think Israel will occupy Gaza. I think they'll wait for things to die down and then they'll help put the Palestinian Authority back in charge, because they actually engaged in accords with the Israelis. Hamas hated this about the Palestinian Authority and saw them as being in cahoots with Israel.

You might be 100% right.  Full scale war would be nuts but it might happen.  

Then, like you said, which Arab nations get involved and how involved do they get??

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, Undone said:

Side note here, you do an exceptional job explaining your point of view and you also do a great job of not talking down to other posters.  

Basically the opposite of all of us, myself totally included. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not defending Hamas. I wish they could be obliterated yesterday. But just some food for thought. People in third world countries are on a different plane of existence than we Americans are. Think about it in terms of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs:

Maslow's hierarchy of needs - Wikipedia

These folks aren't even solid on the first layer, "physiological." A lot of them probably feel like they have nothing to live for. Then you throw in the Jihad stuff and it starts making a lot of sense.

Again, just a discussion, not defending it. Terror acts are horrible and should be snuffed out.

Palestinians were probably way better off pre-2007 before Hamas took charge. The word is that Hamas takes aid packages delivered from foreign sources and puts it into building up resources for attacks like this. Just think how that worsens the situation for their own people, terrible.

It reminds me of:

Marie Antoinette: "Let them eat cake"

50 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

A1 priority is to de-escalate what is happening now.  We have got to stop the killing.

B1 protect Israel from something similar.

B2 work to make life as a palestinian better and create some type of hope within the population so that they do not want to support Hammas.

Both "B"s need to be done simultaneously.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

A1 priority is to de-escalate what is happening now.  We have got to stop the killing.

B1 protect Israel from something similar.

B2 work to make life as a palestinian better and create some type of hope within the population so that they do not want to support Hammas.

Both "B"s need to be done simultaneously.  

Let's hope they can do this, or something similar, quickly. 

• TBH 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Let's hope they can do this, or something similar, quickly. 

Yes....what I feel has happened though, is when the killing has stopped in the past, the rest of the world just assumes everything is hunky dory and forgets part B2.  The part that makes people uncomfortable about that is, the world needs to put pressure on Israel to make it happen.  Then, you're viewed as "not supporting Israel."

• Plus1 2