Biden Foreign Policy

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

News outlets didn't have the ability to get quotes from the IDF or obtain video recordings in 2008?

I believe they did.  

Interesting part about that is social media being in its infant stages so not as many people being able to immediately disseminate the correct info and them having to rely on the false narratives that were presented by “News outlets”.   Also better technological video feeds 15 years later.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

I can't imagine there are very many instances in human history where while 2 countries were at war one of the sides continued to supply the other with all its electricity, food, water and medicine. 

If there were actually two countries, this might make sense. But we're just talking about Israel.

The current Israeli government doesn't favor the two-state solution. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I believe they did.  

Interesting part about that is social media being in its infant stages so not as many people being able to immediately disseminate the correct info and them having to rely on the false narratives that were presented by “News outlets”.   Also better technological video feeds 15 years later.  

What's the reason to think there wouldn't be the same proportionate number of people not being able to immediately disseminate the false info in the first place?

"Misinformation was worse in 2008 than it is in 2023" is an... interesting take.

9 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

What's the reason to think there wouldn't be the same proportionate number of people not being able to immediately disseminate the false info in the first place?

"Misinformation was worse in 2008 than it is in 2023" is an... interesting take.

The ability to correct misinformation  information by and to a large swath of humans globally in a matter of minutes using twitter (X) in 2023.  

You might be the only one alive who thinks information flow was quicker in 2008 than 2023 LOL and that correcting misinformation and getting the correct information out was just as easy and quick in 2008 as 2023…..interesting take.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
10 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

No doubt.   

Why hasn’t Gaza used its billions upon billions of aid to build its own sufficient water source again?  It’s not like it all went to humanitarian aid 

7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

That Gaza has on ocean coastline and desalinization plants are a thing and it gets billions of aid that could be put towards that technology instead of terror 

Found some interesting info. One of the main answers to your questions is because of Military Order 158, which did two things in 1967:

• First, it completely consolidated all power over all water resources and infrastructure in the occupied palestinian areas under Israeli control.

• Second, it blocks Palestinians from constructing any new water installations without obtaining a permit from the Israeli army. Can't drill wells, deepen existing wells, install pumps, access the Jordan River or even collect rain water without very difficult to obtain permission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_Military_Order#:~:text=158 (1967)%3A "Order Amending,Order No.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/mde15/027/2009/en/

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Found some interesting info. One of the main answers to your questions is because of Military Order 158, which did two things in 1967:

• First, it completely consolidated all power over all water resources and infrastructure in the occupied palestinian areas under Israeli control.

• Second, it blocks Palestinians from constructing any new water installations without obtaining a permit from the Israeli army. Can't drill wells, deepen existing wells, install pumps, access the Jordan River or even collect rain water without very difficult to obtain permission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_Military_Order#:~:text=158 (1967)%3A "Order Amending,Order No.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/mde15/027/2009/en/

I appreciate you looking that up, however, my question was geared towards the 2005ish withdrawal from Gaza and why haven’t the people who run Gaza built an independent water system since then.  Why continue to rely on their mortal enemy who they don’t even recognize? 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I appreciate you looking that up, however, my question was geared towards the 2005ish withdrawal from Gaza and why haven’t the people who run Gaza built an independent water system since then.  Why continue to rely on their mortal enemy who they don’t even recognize? 

They have, to some extent, along with other services (it's already been pointed out in this thread that Israel only 'controls' somewhere between 11-33% of the water of Gaza). We already except Hamas' control as a given negative that wastes and steals resources, and in addition to that you have something like a third of the water turned off, you have a bombardment (which destroys facilities and utilities), and you have a blockade (can't run a desalination plant or a waste water plant without electricity or fuel).

Gaza has struggled with a water crisis for decades. The region – one of the most densely populated in the world – has no reliable source of surface water. Its only main freshwater supply is a shallow aquifer. Over-pumping from Gaza and surrounding countries, including Israel, has severely depleted the aquifer in recent years, increasing its salinity. Seawater intrusion, wastewater and agricultural run-off have also contaminated it. The UN says that 97 per cent of the aquifer’s groundwater doesn’t meet World Health Organization (WHO) water quality standards. As a result, most of Gaza’s population relies on private water tankers and small-scale desalination plants to supply drinking water.

Prior conflicts with Israel have also severely damaged Gaza's water system. In recent years, Israel and Egypt have also restricted the import of equipment needed to maintain water infrastructure, including water pumps. This, along with a lack of investment, has prevented Gaza from making repairs meaning the region's water system was outdated and incapable of meeting demand even before the current crisis. "The conflict is disrupting already unreliable water availability in Gaza for millions of people," says Peter Gleick at the Pacific Institute, a water think tank in California.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2398073-why-the-gaza-water-crisis-is-decades-in-the-making/

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

https://www.foxnews.com/media/son-hamas-leader-breaks-silence-decision-denounce-terror-group-care-palestinians

"I was born at the heart of Hamas leadership… and I know them very well. They don't care for the Palestinian people. They do not regard the human life," Yousef told Brian Kilmeade Thursday. 

"I saw their brutality firsthand back in 1996 when I spent about a year and a half in Megiddo Prison… They killed so many Palestinian people at that point, and this is when I decided that I cannot be together with this movement."

"Hamas is not a national movement. Hamas is a religious movement with a goal to establish an Islamic state," Yousef said. "They don't care for nationalism. Actually, they are against nationalism. But that's my understanding that they are using the Palestinian cause only to achieve their goals, so the long-term goal… [is] transforming the Middle East and the world into an Islamic state."

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, nic said:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/son-hamas-leader-breaks-silence-decision-denounce-terror-group-care-palestinians

"I was born at the heart of Hamas leadership… and I know them very well. They don't care for the Palestinian people. They do not regard the human life," Yousef told Brian Kilmeade Thursday. 

"I saw their brutality firsthand back in 1996 when I spent about a year and a half in Megiddo Prison… They killed so many Palestinian people at that point, and this is when I decided that I cannot be together with this movement."

"Hamas is not a national movement. Hamas is a religious movement with a goal to establish an Islamic state," Yousef said. "They don't care for nationalism. Actually, they are against nationalism. But that's my understanding that they are using the Palestinian cause only to achieve their goals, so the long-term goal… [is] transforming the Middle East and the world into an Islamic state."

This is why Palestinians shouldn't be treated as if they are synonymous with Hamas, but unfortunately they are.

Not unlike the Taliban rules Afghanistan, waging an ideological war at the expense of the people.

• Plus1 1