12-Team Playoff On the Way; 14-Team to Follow

1 minute ago, admo said:

We all know it's about money, TV ads, Execs getting paid.  Who cares anymore.  

People love to say that, but you know you will still care. So will I. So will 97% of people, plus some new fans who thought college football was the weird one all this time and now are interested.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

People love to say that, but you know you will still care. So will I. So will 97% of people, plus some new fans who thought college football was the weird one all this time and now are interested.

If people say that it's because people are being honest.  

Of course I will tune in with excitement to a certain level, depending on the matchups.  Not all post season games or playoff games are equally exciting on paper before kickoff.  I'm all for changes and like being progressive with sports.  But why did it take so long?  If you can do these changes today, you could have done them 25 years ago.  Just like NIL and transfer portal.  So, I don't get enthused to see the news being "Breaking!" and it doesn't move the needle.  They just really slow catching up or they are finding a lot of money in it all.  A lot of money.  Loads of money.  Boat Loads.  It's One or the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Dinich shared that “the field will have at least 12 teams in 2026 and beyond, but sources indicate there is a strong preference for a 14-team field that includes the five highest-ranked conference champions and the next nine highest-ranked teams.”

The exact format for the College Football Playoff is still being finalized, according to Dinich.

According to Ross Dellenger, the new revenue model will see the Big Ten and SEC both getting 29 percent. The ACC will receive 17.1 percent, with the Big 12 at 14.7 percent. Notre Dame will receive 1 percent, with UConn, Oregon State and Washington State receiving less than 1 percent.

Dellenger added that if Notre Dame or any independent qualifies for the College Football Playoff, they will receive an additional $6 million.

The new College Football Playoff is expected to bring in four times the amount of the four-team playoff, per Dellenger.

On3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...