Fordham Game Highlights

Mavric

2 hours ago, Undone said:

We can haggle over semantics. Some areas are improved over last season - and while that is encouraging - it also isn't saying much. Like, we're high fiving because we have a kicker that can finally kick the ball into the end zone on kickoffs.

Either way, if the issues we have had show up in the games that we have to win in order to get to 6-6 (Buffalo, Michigan State, Purdue, Northwestern, Iowa) I think it'll be extremely hard to win them.

While myriad structural deficiencies remain with this team (too innumerable for this board), the primary issue with getting to 0.500 this season is timing.  We are progressing in too few areas at far to slow a pace.  MSU and Iowa are weeks away and if their first games were any indication, both are far out of our league already.  Both have strong identities (physical line play, downhill rushing, opportunistic with turnovers, etc.) including MSU, in only Year 2 under Mel Tucker.  

Buffalo is the lone remaining game on our schedule where the odds of a win are better than even.  As I had said for months, and will repeat again,  IL was necessary for bowl eligibility this season.  The odds of a bowl are remote.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

I wouldn't call the special teams at this point terrible. We've had two missed XP, two gaffs by a punt returner and returns not getting to the 25. Kickoffs have been going into the endzone, no big punt returns, no big kickoff returns. We've made fgs.

Like you have one ball?

It's amazing how many circles I walk in one day

1 minute ago, hskrfan4life said:

Point still stands

Sure.  But, everyone knows he had a horrible sophomore year.  I would like to see how that affects the numbers.  And....really, how last year and this year is comparing to his freshman year.

His completion percentage by year is:

2018 = 64.6%

2019 = 59.4%

2020 = 71.5%

2021 = 60% so far.  He had one bad game and one good game

So, 2019 could play a big factor in the career stats.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Thing about that play above for me is Stepp is probably thinking "I gotta plough downhill as fast and hard as I can to just pick up the first down."

But if he had cut it outside and made their LB miss it's possibly a big run.

So Rob is flexing his football knowledge there about little things that the offensive linemen & tight end are doing wrong but to me it looks like maybe the RB could have done a bit better - and maybe would have it wasn't such an important down & distance scenario for what needed to be done.

15 hours ago, Mavric said:

+1 for this because I was mostly impressed with Sevy.  If it was up to me I would do a heavy dose of Stepp (RB1) and Sevy (RB2) all first half.  Then incorporate Ervin in place of one those guys, in the 3rd quarter, especially with better field position.  The 4th quarter would be just 2 backs, whoever has the hot hand...and bring it on home.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1